Standardized bicycle light mounts - is the Garmin 1/4 the future?

thesweetcyclists

Newly Enlightened
As a bicycle light hoarder, one of my biggest annoyances has been with propriety mounts that each company creates for their lights.
I recently have been riding with Magicshine Allty 1000 and 2000 lights, and was very excited to see the Garmin 1/4 turn mounts integrated into the light itself.

A lot of other companies have adapters for GoPro or Garmin style mounts, but always at an additional cost and bulk. With the K-Mount/Bar-Fly and other companies making computer mounts more popular, is the Garmin mount the future?

thesweetcyclists

Newly Enlightened
Re: MonkeyLink

That's pretty cool. Haven't heard of that before, but I've seen some of the magnetic bicycle bottles from some companies before.

It would be great if things were more standardized, but unless there is an incentive I imagine each company will use their own technology.

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
As a bicycle light hoarder, one of my biggest annoyances has been with propriety mounts that each company creates for their lights.
I recently have been riding with Magicshine Allty 1000 and 2000 lights, and was very excited to see the Garmin 1/4 turn mounts integrated into the light itself.

A lot of other companies have adapters for GoPro or Garmin style mounts, but always at an additional cost and bulk. With the K-Mount/Bar-Fly and other companies making computer mounts more popular, is the Garmin mount the future?
Resurrecting this thread... I'm a bike light hoarder as well and have tried many different lights including older Fenix AA to custom LED lights (remember the Min-T here on CPF from 10 or so years ago?), NiteRider and now Knog and Exposure Lights.

I have a Garmin 810 with a K-Edge 1/4 outfront mount but I don't have Garmin lights. They appear very secure for cyclo computers and probably will do for lights as well.

I notice most lights now (Knog, Lezyne) use silicone straps to mount which works quite well but I'm always worried it will wear out and your light will disappear without you noticing. My new-ish Knog Cobber uses what appears to be flimsier silicone and my rear light tends to drop down on the seatpost during my rides.

My NiteRider Lumina OLED600 is mounted under my K-Edge with a GoPro mount - vs. the over-handlebar mount which is too tall, ugly and strap is annoying to attach - which is good but It does make the light protrude out front quite a bit. It also means the light is mounted upside down which makes it difficult to access the buttons.

The one mount I do prefer and works extremely well is my Exposure Lights Strada 1200. https://exposurelights.com/products/bike/road-lights/strada-mk10-rs The mount is easier to use than to discribe: the mount wraps around your handlebar using a piece of rubber and tightened via a hex screw, the mechanism that holds your light is a disc that you lift up and the light fits into a bit of a 3-sided mount. You'll have to find a video to see what I mean. In any case, at first, it seemed a little flimsy but, I've had this for over 2 years and, even though my light is a bit bulky, it is rock-steady and stays in place even over harsh bumps. It also allows for over AND under handlebar mounting which is great since I prefer under handlebar mounts.

Last edited:

onemorejolt

Newly Enlightened
Garmin is a good idea and cheap adapters abound to adapt most other lights.
The rubber/elastic bands many mounts use are not reassuring, and as the value of the light goes up it needs tethering, which is displeasing to the eye, but I feel bad when even my china schrott decides to find a new home.
Proprietary mounts give me a jumble of often insecure and incompatible mounts and the fancy Moneky Mounts above are neat , but $$

I trust my Garmin mounts with $$ bike computers, and they also will probably not get End-of-Lifed like many other proprietary connectors have.

larin22

Newly Enlightened
I have purchased a Mitriciclo electric tricycle and I was wondering if these vehicles can be fitted with a headlight at the rear. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Folgore202

Newly Enlightened
Wait, there are standardised bike light mounts now? FI-FreaKING-NALLY! That was the bane of my teenage and student years, when I went to high school and university on my bicycle, as I often lost the flashlight on my bike (countryside shenanigans had loosened the mount), and finding a new one was not always easy to do.
What took them so long to agree on a standardised mount? With a space for a GPS, on top of that, we're being spoilt. Did they add it to make up with cyclists for the lost time?

prof student

Enlightened
Resurrecting this thread... I'm a bike light hoarder as well and have tried many different lights including older Fenix AA to custom LED lights (remember the Min-T here on CPF from 10 or so years ago?), NiteRider and now Knog and Exposure Lights.

which Fenix AA did you use? I found a discontinued Fenix FD20 (the 2AA with flood & spot beam). I was thinking of getting that as a bike light. Any thought?

onemorejolt

Newly Enlightened
Garmin quarter turn mount was designed for watch sized bike computers.
Seriously underbuilt for things larger and heavier.
Frequent failures with bike computers, phones and lights.
in the bike computer world it is a frequent warrantee issue
Lights have a similar weight and balance.
The diversity of mounts implies nothing in particular is working well as a universal mount

chip100t

Enlightened
My new moon Canopus uses a garmin mount, but it has a separate battery that straps to the frame.