Hoodie Sweatshirts

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Has anyone tried the American Giant line of Hoodie Sweatshirts? I like hoodies, my Grandmother would issue them to me in Jr. High and high school when I was riding motorcycles everyday, and racing Motocross on Friday nights, and Sunday's years ago.

I did not race with them but for practice they were great.

I want to get a few really good hoodies, and the American Giant seems like the top of the line. If you have any other recommendations that would be great.

Thanks,

RedLED

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about their hoodie sweatshirt, but I do have a grey Classic Full Zip and it's great. My other go-to is the Huckberry 10-Year Hoodie.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Can't speak on durability but a couple of folks I worked with a few years ago swore by them saying "if you find them, buy one". My 25+ year old zip up hoody is still going strong so I never pursued them.

Made in what I believe was a Burlington factory once upon a time.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an American Giant hooded sweatshirt. It's heavy and well built. I prefer more fleecy types that I can layer but as an outer most piece it's good.

nbp

Flashaholic
I love Duluth Trading Company clothing. They have a variety of different hoodies for different purposes in varying weights. All very good quality.

scout24

Flashaholic
Big fan of Carhartt. Thick, wind resistant, great quality. Love the Duluth that NBP mentioned, but for me it's their fleece jackets that stands out. 👍

PartyPete

Enlightened
One of the warmest hoodies I have is just some random mall purchase years back - I believe it's an American Eagle brand but it's got some sort of faux fur lining and is incredibly warm, I was pretty surprised.

In fact it's so warm I can't even wear it indoors without breaking a sweat 5 minutes later. So if you are after warmth, anything with an extra lining like that will definitely make a difference.

For your basic, comfortable run-of-the-mill type zip up hooded sweater I've had an Under Armour for a few years that I like. Very comfortable, beefy zipper, just a good all around product.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One year as a bridge inspector I froze my bah-hash-na off day after day standing around observing bolts being tightened.
"ENOUGH!!" I declared. That was the year I heard about American Giant.
I went online to Diluth and saw a hip length parka that piqued my interest. Price wasn't an issue since I was working plenty of OT. Warmth was the issue……

I read reviews and folks in the Yukon said "it's too warm". lol. Down filled firehose must be pretty dawg gone good at retaining heat. I did opt for a pair of their flannel lined fire hose pants. Good gosh! They stood up by themselves for a couple of years, but definitely worth the coin.

Now to pay $100+ for an American Giant hoody? If I wore hoody's often at work, yeah I probably would. But I have to wear a hard hat so a thinsulate welders bacleva (sp?) keeps my head plenty warm. In my line of work flame retardent is a must due to sparks from welders at times. So things like fleece jackets or those over stuffed nylon jackets can smolder like a cigarette on a mattress. Another reason I avoid hoody's at work.

At home hoody's by Champion, Jerseys and Hanes etc do the trick. A surf company called O'Neil used to make top shelf warm clothing. Do they now? I don't know, the stuff I bought in the 90's is still hanging tough.

Carhartt gear is still pretty durable. Trouble is when they began having products made overseas they didn't lower the prices, so I buy Walls or ****ies work wear for about half the cost or hit up Cabellas bargain cave.

Last edited: