Just got a Surfire L4!

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Surefire L4 in the mail today. (Thank you Brightflashlites!!) Before I opened the box, it was so lightweight that I didn't think there was any way the flashlight could be in there, and if so, I just knew that the batteries couldn't be in it. I was pleasantly surprised to find the complete new box, light and batteries all there. This light is much lighter than I was expecting, and of course the beam is brilliant white and flawless, as far as I can tell. By the way, do they put serial numbers on these lights? I'll have more information later, but initially, I really like this light!

JK

sovereign

Newly Enlightened
Copycat! I did the exact same thing about 10 days ago. Be original, will ya! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jbroker83

Enlightened
I got mine about two months ago....and it's the best light in my humble collection....i love it. It has the "Wow!" factor when you shine it in the dark. The other day, some kids in the movie theater wouldn't shut-up...after people repeatedly asking them to be quiet, I went up and blasted the L4 on the group of jr. highers.....man....it was like little deers in the headlights, they no longer could hide under the disguise of darkness....they were stunned that I had something so bright. IT did the trick...they were quiet, probably cause they didn't want me to blast them again...

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are two serial numbers on the "L" Series SureFires.

One on the body and one on the bezel. It is highly unlikely that they will match.

Al

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
JediKnife,
There are serial numbers on the body and the head of a L4. The numbers are different, for example mine are
A19652 body & A00083 KL4
A19897 body & A00251 KL4

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a month after I got my L4, I had a plumber in to do some work and asked him to check my disposal. He looked under the sink. The interesting part is that was using a pewter-colored MiniMag to show me where the key for the disposal is. I couldn't see it. Of course, I had the L4 in my pocket. And, of course, I had to use it. When I turned it on, he kind-of fell back and said "Whoa!" We spent the next 10 minutes talking about this little light.

Glad you also like yours, JK.

Paul

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information re: serial #'s. I saw the numbers on the body/lens of the light, but I didn't know if they were standard part numbers or serial numbers. I'll make note of them.
As far as the theatre thing goes- WOW! I couldn't imagine breaking one of these out in a theatre! I couldn't even imagine setting my blue strobing Photon3 off in there. That must have been quite an eye opener, or should I say closer!

JK

felder

Newly Enlightened
Congradulations...the L4 is my favorite all around light. I EDC one in my fatboy man purse, and I also keep one in the car just in case.

[ QUOTE ]
JediKnife said:
I just received my Surefire L4 in the mail today. (Thank you Brightflashlites!!) Before I opened the box, it was so lightweight that I didn't think there was any way the flashlight could be in there, and if so, I just knew that the batteries couldn't be in it. I was pleasantly surprised to find the complete new box, light and batteries all there. This light is much lighter than I was expecting, and of course the beam is brilliant white and flawless, as far as I can tell. By the way, do they put serial numbers on these lights? I'll have more information later, but initially, I really like this light!

JK

[/ QUOTE ]

alberto

Enlightened
Congratulations on the new L4. It's a fantastic light. Now, for an even better light, get a E1 and put the L4 head (KL4) on it for the best single-cell flashlight you've ever had. My E1/KL4 is my favorite EDC light -- small, bright, white, and light.

redtrd

Newly Enlightened
I'm jealous! I just ordered a TL-3 LED because it was cheaper, but I probably should have just gotten the L4 instead.

14C

Enlightened
To Alberto and Jedi..congrats on the the best purchase you have ever made (I admit there are many who will argue that here..and especially in the Arc forum..and they have their points)...YES..the KL4..even though SureFire will not stand behind it...DOES work amazingly well well on and E1 or on my case an E1e...I have the Kl1 and like it but the new kit I got from ledsupply with the q bin and the micropuck almost makes me want to bore out the incan head for the E1e...not yet but almost...the SF L4 is a best buy...I am waiting on the U2 to see if they are THAT good to make a leap.

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
To Alberto and Jedi..congrats on the the best purchase you have ever made

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! This is my first serious LED light, but I'm sure it won't be my last /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. It carries much better than I thought it would: compact and lightweight, but still solid enough to not worry about it breaking.

JK

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! Welcome to the Very Happy L4 Owners Club!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

99.9 percent of the people who get one, love it.

One thing, you do need to get a couple of Pila 168S Li Ion batteries and a Pila charger for your L4 (something I need to do). Much cheaper in the long run for feeding the ever hungry L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chaz

Newly Enlightened
GarminGPSMap

It was my impression that the SF L5 and L6 would produce more light than the L4. However, the SF 2004 catalog lists all three (and the L7) at 65 lumens for 90 minutes. Have you compared the three and found that the L5 and L6 do actually put out more light? It would not be too surprising if the SF catalog were not correct on the matter.

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
Check out this thread and you won't say they are the same brightness.: Beamshots of L4,L5,L6
The L4 is easy to EDC however because of the small size. The L5 is a bit large for the pocket. I think Lumens and perceived brightness is different. The L5 and L6 is just more tightly focused so it just seems brighter I think.

The only thin I have not been happy with on the L4 is the focus. I have the dark spot problem too (very slight but noticible) and all the light is flooded. I like the L5's focus better. The L4 is a great light overall!

Chaz

Newly Enlightened
Nice set of beam shots for the L4, L5, and L6. The inside ones through the divider walls show the tightening of the beam between the three by the amount of spill on the divider walls. So, as you said, that is probably the reason for the brighter appearance going from L4 to L6, particularly on the outside shots, even though the lumen output is about the same for them all. Very interesting.

My L4 does not have any dark spot in the central beam from very close to about 12 feet. Just lucky, I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I do recall some mention of some L4s having such a dark spot in other posts.