Advice Needed: SureFire light for rural property

Aug McCrae

Newly Enlightened
I've got a vacation home on some rural acreage and need a flashlight for walking around the property after dark -- walking my dogs, checking fences, etc. The last SureFire light I bought was more than 10 years ago and I know nothing about the current lineup. In looking around, I was a bit overwhelmed by all of the options available today, particularly new technology and what looks like a bunch of Chinese knockoff companies, which is something I would like to avoid (the knockoffs).

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
well If you want to keep It simple there's the Maglite ML300L 2 D-cell(I run mine with D-cell to AA adapters using re-chargable AA's) It weigh's next to nothing)or a Thru-nite TH20, works as either a head lamp or hand held
I have both of these and I'm happy with them.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regardless if you are stuck on getting a Surefire or not, keep in mind runtimes. Some lights start high and quickly drop to a lower level so they can advertise the higher amount with "extended runtimes". Other lights are regulated and keep a constant level, albeit a lower one than the competition.

Another thing to keep in in mind is flood vs throw and a combination of both. This depends on the size and shape of your property.

there is a checklist pinned to the top of the recommend me section to help everyone understand your wants and needs.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to go wrong wrong with the 6PX and G2X lines. If you aren't hung up on brands I'm pretty impressed with Lumensfactory quality. I have a seraph sp6 with a Malkoff m361 which is fantastic- arguably better quality than surefire. I bought a seraph sp-9 with the xhp50.2 turbo head which really lights stuff up. Get the 1 cell extender and it'll run 2x 18650 for about 2 hours of 1500 lumens.

I've also been very happy with my Streamlights. I have a Polytac which is weapon mounted, a Protac HL3 which is 1100 "throwy" lumens with a good corona. Plus we used the Streamlights on our fire turn outs and many people used the helmet mounted one also (I used a Surefire G2X Tactical with blackjack mount).

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with one of the newer Maglites, ML25, ML50 or ML300, all of these have a lot of throw and are not expensive. I run mine on either D or AA NiMH's or 18650's (in 3D printed adapters).

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it has to be Surefire...go with the Fury Intellibeam. It has enough output to reach out a ways plus the circuitry to keep from blinding you up close. It also uses standard 18650 cells. I like my Klarus XT11GT which, although not directly comparable especially in build quality is significantly lower in price and I believe has similar or greater output. I also prefer the Klarus controls/UI as I can select low or Turbo instantly.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at malkoffdevices.com, Maybe a Hound Dog or a 18650 Hound Dog.
Unlike SF they actually answer the phone.
P

I don't know enough about the current Surefire line to provide any help there but if your going to spend some money the the Malkoff Hound Dog is the route I would go for an all around light with some throw.The Hound Dog can be powered by either CR123s or 18650 li-ion depending on what light/body you buy and the customer service is outstanding.I have the neutral Hound Dog with the MD4 body that can use either 4 CR123s or two 18650s.

xxo's suggestion of one of the current Maglites is pretty good if you want to spend less money or would prefer to go with more conventional batteries. Mags throw very well and even the simple 2C ML25 provides surprisingly nice output despite the modest performance numbers.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have modded my KL6 head with now discontinued ASF copper pill (for KL6). Placed Lexel 2S Bistro driver and XHP50 HI CRI. Paored with LeeF 2x18650 M-C body and bypassed switch in FM Hepta tailcap.
Excelent choice for checking fences around the property cause this excellent reflector now throws around 2000lm.
If you have similar Surefire parts it can be easily (sort of) converted into a lightsaber.
bb8c54f60e7ef2afaf44e68f4bf89d76.jpg
b232a9a8c6e2b671715d904239fce647.jpg
de2e2e98f7d1e2cb3f7284e57a8c1ca0.jpg
bdacb05388171b3f9f6f353e03d95622.jpg
419fff078490329209f97f10e65ef446.jpg

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I find it hard to beat Surefire with regards to the balance of throw and spill and of course reliability. The G2X is really good (you just need to decide if you want single mode/high only - G2X tactical, high/low - G2X LE, low/high - G2X Pro) if you want to stick with CR123. If you want rechargeable, the Fury Intellibeam as someone mentioned is a good option. The Fury also throws further.

If you want a good cradle based rechargeable light the Streamlight Stinger DS HL is good or the Streamlight Strion DS HL if you want something smaller with somewhat less throw.

There are of course plenty of other good options, but for me I find I always reach for my Surefires over any of the other brands I have.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
some streamlights still seem to be using plastic lenses, i had a strion ds hl, did not like neither plastic, lems that scratches very easy, (even 12 dollar no name chinese headlamp uses glass nowadays), nor the ten taps thing, the worst thing is the battery, it is a single cell li ion, but it is not your regular 18650, or 21700, that you can easily replace, it is their battery that cost $20 and is only 2000mah.

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
The Stingers use a polycarbonate, while the Strions use glass. The stinger uses a Ni-MH battery while the Strion uses Li-Ion, both are 2600mAh.