oled watch face power usage test

raggie33

*the raggedier*
does that seem right if i check the amount of light coming from the watch face would lower lux reading mean better battery life

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
does that seem right if i check the amount of light coming from the watch face would lower lux reading mean better battery life

Generally yes. The dimmer the watch face is, the less energy it uses because each pixel is it's own self emitting LED. However some OLED watches also vary the screen refresh time to save energy. This won't affect the brightness, just how often the pixels change.

Also OLEDs are generally pulse width modulated to change brightness. This switches the pixel between full-on and full-off at varying rates. A shorter "on" pulse means less energy spent and a dimmer pixel. A longer "on" pulse makes it look brighter and uses more energy. The kicker is that the brightness stays the same in absolute terms but appears dimmer or brighter to our eyes because of their relatively slow response to changes in "on" duration.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Generally yes. The dimmer the watch face is, the less energy it uses because each pixel is it's own self emitting LED. However some OLED watches also vary the screen refresh time to save energy. This won't affect the brightness, just how often the pixels change.

Also OLEDs are generally pulse width modulated to change brightness. This switches the pixel between full-on and full-off at varying rates. A shorter "on" pulse means less energy spent and a dimmer pixel. A longer "on" pulse makes it look brighter and uses more energy. The kicker is that the brightness stays the same in absolute terms but appears dimmer or brighter to our eyes because of their relatively slow response to changes in "on" duration.

cool ty i love this watch but the battery life is only a few days.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it really is amazeing all this computeing power on my wrist. i can even use it as a phone it has gps and other cool features

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
**** Tracy would've been jealous.

Actually, raggie does a lot of equipment testing for Mr. Tracy, especially the portable lighting stuff. Not a lot of people know that. Right now I am picturing raggie drilling a tiny hole through to the battery compartment on the watch and running a wire up his sleeve and down to a battery pack on his belt. In theory he'll have to do the next battery change sometime around 2039.