• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Olight MCC identification

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
How to identify Olight MCC's. MCC Gen1, MCC Gen 2, MCC 1A, MCC 1AL should be cross compatible.
The new Smart MCC aka MCC 1A/1.5A/2A should be the same but others including myself have seen some odd behavior with them. Green charging complete LED while still charging leading to incomplete charging if the light is removed. Checking cell voltage once LED goes green shows voltage of 4.12 volts. If you put the light back on the charger you get a green LED. If you had left the light on the charger in the first place for about 1 hour longer then checked the cell voltage you would find the cell at about 4.17 volts. See S2R II on the charger below. Note the green complete LED even though the USB DMM shows the light is still charging. Intermittent no charge or super slow to charge. LED will be red so you think its charging. Turning on the light while on the charger will get the charger charging. On top of the above the Smart MCC and M2R Pro can have poor connection problems causing slow charging that is related to how the tail cap is made on the M2R Pro. Olight must know about this by now. What is the fix? Stay tuned. The S10R III and S30R III shipped with the MICRO-DOK III not the MCC Gen 1.

8VCmMwW.jpg

2icZE4Y.jpg

OgqYyz7.jpg

Last edited:

Bhaasie

Newly Enlightened
New guy here... I ordered a New Red Mcc1/1.5/2 charger and it exhibits the same behavior as you are stating. Place on light shows green even though it needs charged, and a usb meter shows the light is drawing current even though the the led on charger is green. Something is not right... Called olight and they sent me a replacement but it does the same thing.:huh:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it could be a somehow unaccounted for voltage induced by the magnet in the system. Maybe they switched vendors and are getting more powerful magnets than the original specs accounted for in the circuitry.

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
New guy here... I ordered a New Red Mcc1/1.5/2 charger and it exhibits the same behavior as you are stating. Place on light shows green even though it needs charged, and a usb meter shows the light is drawing current even though the the led on charger is green. Something is not right... Called olight and they sent me a replacement but it does the same thing.:huh:

I think its by design. Olight figures if the voltage is 4.1 volts or higher the light is charged so they display a green charge complete LED. 4.1 volts is about 90% charged. The charger will top off a battery if left on the charger when you get a green light.
I would guess Olight is trying to extend battery life and only charging to 90% should double battery life. This makes some sense but will sure cause confusion because Olight does not explain their philosophy behind the design of this charger.

Interesting, I've wondered how many different chargers there were. You need a red one!

If any charger doesn't reach 4.2V or doesn't put out 4.2V with no load, it is defective. No exceptions.

A charger first runs in Constant Current mode, it adjusts its output voltage (under 4.2V) to produce the desired current.

Then when it hits 4.2V output it goes into Constant Voltage mode. It stays at 4.2V and the current gets lower and lower as the cell charges.

When the green LED comes on (or a charger says "full"), all it means is the charging current has dropped below a certain threshold. 50 mA might be a typical value.

A cell is never "fully charged." If left connected to a 4.2V supply (which is not a problem) the green-LED current will drop from 50 mA to 40 to 10 or 5 to whatever the leakage current for the cell is. Turning green or saying "full" is a judgement call, when is it full enough?

And note that spending time pumping less than 50 mA (my example again) into the cell yields very little charging, very little extra runtime. Running 1 or 2 amps into a cell is doing good. 50 mA dropping to 10 mA over an hour of charging time isn't much energy. (30 mAh)

Do note that many people don't recommend charging all the way to 4.2V as it reduces battery life. 4.2V isn't magic, it's just a compromise between capacity and lifetime. You can charge to 4.25V and get more capacity, but much shorter life.

So, if your charger really gets to 4.2V when green, you can stop charging. Or leave it connected 24/7, the cell won't mind.

Now, how to tell the difference between a Micro-Dok I and II?

Last edited:

Franquixote

Newly Enlightened
Olight has made things absurdly confusing. Even their reps have had to email me back with contrary info from another representative.

I am just wondering if the "Omino" can charge the Seeker 3 ,Warrior mini... they don't seem to have an organized compatibility chart.
Andvwhy thecweapon lights can only use the cable marked "soecial" is bizarre.
I am kinda done with them. My Obulb MC kasts for less than 5 hours on colir change mode, and I am positive I shut off my Seeker 3 after charging with the provided cable, but even if I didn't it was on moonlight and died in less than 2 hours.
I think a lot of their customers don't even use the lights if they are dead from a full charge on moonlight mode in less than 2 hours. They seem to be catering to collectors more than hard users because no way that every light I get from them dies so quick on lowest mode and there aren't more complaints.

Anyone else experience 5% or so of advertised run times on lowest power?

Fond it hard to believe I just happened to get 2 dozen faulty lights...