18650 Wildcat...... I have one kind of.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure this has been thought of, but I wanted to share. 2000 grit sand paper and a little work. I need to do a bit more sanding to get a true flood, but after about 5 minutes the beam is a lot like the v3 wildcat. I will keep working when I have time. I want a wall of light. I look at this as a way to customize the HD 18650 beam to how you want it without a huge expense. The extra lens cost a few bucks. Depending on the job at hand I can just swap the lens.

Attachments

• C85D9DA0-0D07-4105-A40B-7CBD32124780.jpg
    C85D9DA0-0D07-4105-A40B-7CBD32124780.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 251
  • 047AC573-602F-4F7C-83DB-4B0F2B5A458D.jpg
    047AC573-602F-4F7C-83DB-4B0F2B5A458D.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 252

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, I have the spare parts to attempt this right now. Why didn't I think of this?

But then I'll need another HD 18650 for dedicated throw.

Argh.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
What, you only own 1 hd, what's the matter with you:poke:

This is probably a better idea than a film that won't stand up to the heat produced.

But what if we want a v6 18650 wc?

Great job nmiller. I think I have a couple spare lenses, might have to play around with it. Wonder how something like this would be on a super? The super wilcat

Maybe a courser grit would yield better/quicker results...i guess it depends on if you want full diffuse or partial

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave the other HD to my parents. What can I say? I have a weak spot for them and they needed to light up their back yard.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shouldn't have done that, probably could have used it for a trade, lol

Great light for them for sure.

For now you can just swap the lenses;), easy enough while you're out using it

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's easy enough to swap lenses. I look at this as a temporary option until Gene does an 18650 V6 Wildcat. I ask him periodically. He is probably tired of it, but I think one would sell.

I used the finer grit because I didn't want it to look like the lenses was scratched, just frosted. 1000 grit would probably work ok. I like how you can make the diffuser to your liking at minimal cost. Sand test, sand test, sand test..........

Right now I have maintained most of the throw and smoothed out the transition from spot to flood. It's quite nice. I may order a few ,or lenses on my next order so I can experiment. I started putting scotch tape over the lense. That's Ideally the result I want. It's a beautiful wall of light.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know this is not a bad idea. I'm thinking I would like mine frosted. Pretty sure I can get a glass spare and lightly glass Bead it at work.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya glass I can lightly blast. Plastic,Lexan,Pyrex? Not so much well maybe Pyrex.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
It occurred to me that you could do the same thing with an Elzetta AVS or Bones and have a smaller form factor. The standard Elzetta lens throws a bit more than a Wildcat, but their flood lens is basically a mule. A little sanding on the standard lens could have the desired effect. I'm just the klutz who would damage the Hound Dog's reflector if I swapped lenses outside.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Back in the day, we'd frost glass bulbs with "Armor Etch" solution - available from hobby stores; varying etching time for the degree of frost (2 to 5 minutes).
I have a bottle of it and have found it useful from time to time - with plenty of PPE of course.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya the The M91, Hound Dog XM-L, Hound Dog Super, and Wildcats all share very similar drivers. But the WC requires 6 volts.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the previous version v6 won't run on single cell but maybe the current version, idk

If Gene were to make an 18650 WC, I'd most likely buy it, although with the M91BN, maybe not needed?

You can use this same technique to make the M91BN full diffuse

Latest posts