maglite tactical website

maglite mike

Enlightened
i wonder if this means maglite will be developing a new line of tactical lights ?....I just came across this new maglite tactical website. maglitetactical.com

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting. Some of the lights on there appear to have the same grip style as the Streamlight TLR2/TLR3 lights.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Yes, interesting that they're doing some new things to keep up with a changing industry, but yet the words Maglite and tactical just don't seem to fit together in the same sentence to me.

desertrunner

Banned
I don't see anything special there yet. Nothing USB and still charging cradles. They are really slow to catch up.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
" They are really slow to catch up"

Yep but when they do there still way behind 😂😂.
Just a joke. For what they are they are a great product.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see anything special there yet. Nothing USB and still charging cradles. They are really slow to catch up.

I don't want USB on my lights. It's ugly and just a place for dirt and grime and water to enter. And what if the rubber cap breaks off? Just because something doesn't subscribe to having USB doesn't mean it's behind or needs to catch up. I have had a USB light in the past, but I just don't see the benefit of having that charging port on my light at all. Especially since I already own chargers and I don't use rechargeables exclusively.

desertrunner

Banned
I don't want USB on my lights. It's ugly and just a place for dirt and grime and water to enter. And what if the rubber cap breaks off? Just because something doesn't subscribe to having USB doesn't mean it's behind or needs to catch up. I have had a USB light in the past, but I just don't see the benefit of having that charging port on my light at all. Especially since I already own chargers and I don't use rechargeables exclusively.
Do you have a smart phone? If so, how do you charge it? Do you carry around a cradle?

Me- All of my lights are heavy duty and are USB. If I'm in the road, all I need is an universal charging cable for my phone, flashlights and portable speaker. No more cradles for me.

Plus the cops like the USB lights they can charge in the patrol cars, makes life easier.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To USB or not USB? That is the question.

Answer: It doesn't matter. Push button, light comes on.
History of cradle versus USB shows a ton of lights had issues with the USB plug malfunction where a cradle charger functions for decades without failure.

It may seem archaic to some but Maglite builds flashlights that are intended to last for decades. So (at least to me) it makes sense they chose a cradle charger. Want USB? Buy a Streamlight. Oh, and btw their Stinger line uses a cradle.

Now regarding the tactical web site; to me it looks like Maglite is trying a new marketing ploy to tout some recent products that may not get a lot of attention from Johnny and Jane Homeowner because they cost more than $35. The typical Maglite consumer likely still puts a distinct limit on the price point, afterall "it's just a flashlight" to that slice of the market. The tactical site could be meant for the same market that gladly paid $19.99 for a 2D Maglite back in the day when the typical fridge mount light was a wack-a-palm $4.99 Eveready 2C.

In America image is everything. So a fellow who pays $599 for a fishing reel but thinks $40 for a flashlight is crazy, well you tack on the word tactical and now you've got him thinking the $129 tactical light would be a fine partner to his Glock 9. It's that simple these days.

Last edited:

desertrunner

Banned
Last time I looked, a Smartphone wasn't a Flashlight. There's a subtle difference that some of us appreciate.
P
Looks like the whole point went over your head. The pint was you don't use a charging cradle for your cell phone, so why should your flashlight be any different. I like all of my devices with no cradle, portable and can charge in the go.

desertrunner

Banned
It may seem archaic to some but Maglite builds flashlights that are intended to last for decades. So (at least to me) it makes sense they chose a cradle charger. Want USB? Buy a Streamlight. Oh, and btw their Stinger line uses a cradle.
Why I sold all of my Stingers and got the USB equivalent of the HPL with the Micro USB. Love it.

26cf94e278d331f65981f37c8b53d98f.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the whole point went over your head.

The point was that a quality flashlight need not have a USB port in order to pass muster. In fact, Maglite fans might enjoy the new product line--and this thread--without having to argue about charging methods. Moreover, some users don't like USB charging ports. Hang around for a while and you'll see that it's a thing.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Why I sold all of my Stingers and got the USB equivalent of the HPL with the Micro USB. Love it.

Good luck finding the tiny hole in low light conditions. And deciding which direction the plug goes.

"Wait, which side is it on? Oops not that one. Found it…wait, must rotate the cord. Dratz, cord slipped out my fingers. Awe man I bent the tiny plug. I wish I had a cradle right now". :naughty:

I have one light with a magnet at the end of the cord. Now that folks is the best of both worlds. Part tiny charge point for freedom to leave it anywhere, part cradle durable.

Last edited:

desertrunner

Banned
The point was that a quality flashlight need not have a USB port in order to pass muster. In fact, Maglite fans might enjoy the new product line--and this thread--without having to argue about charging methods. Moreover, some users don't like USB charging ports. Hang around for a while and you'll see that it's a thing.
I don't care what they like it don't like, I have my new Streamlight and Browning and love them.

desertrunner

Banned
Good luck finding the tiny hole in low light conditions. And deciding which direction the plug goes.

"Wait, which side is it on? Oops not that one. Found it…wait, must rotate the cord. Dratz, cord slipped out my fingers. Awe man I bent the tiny plug. I wish I had a cradle right now". :naughty:

I have one light with a magnet at the end of the cord. Now that folks is the best of both worlds. Part tiny charge point for freedom to leave it anywhere, part cradle durable.
So not an issue here.