High value lights for 2019?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm participating in 3 (!!!) secret santa events this year, each with different price limits, so I thought I'd ask CPF what are the lights that you feel are exceptional values for their price point this holiday season? I'm both interested in lights to gift to others and lights to, maybe, just maybe, gift to myself...

I'll take your suggestions and put them in this top post for easy reference. Please indicate the approximate price so that I can group similar priced entries together. Thanks!

Maglite Solitaire ($10)
Thrunite Ti3 ($14)
Rayovac Indestructible 2AA ($15)
Energizer Hardcase 2AA Task Light ($15)
Lumintop Tool AAA ($16)
Maglite ML25 ($20)
Fenix e12 ($26)
Manker LAD ($26)
Wowtac A6 ($30)
Maglite ML50 ($35)
Lumintop Copper Tool AAA ($36)
Streamlight 1L-1AA ($40)
Maglite ML300 ($40)
Streamlight ProTac HLx5 ($80+)
Malkoff MD2 ($100+)

--flatline

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the purposes of this thread, there is no limit. If you think a $300 light is a particularly good value for what you get, I'm happy to list it. However, for the purposes of the secret santa's I'm participating in, $30, $60, and $100.

--flatline

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks for clarifying.

Since emitter tech continues to evolve (albeit slower these days) , for me, I find the best value is found in (easily upgradable) modular systems.

With sales and such, a complete Malkoff MD2 can be had for near ~ $100 and offers a tremendous range of options and a "parts system"

On the high-end (unlimited budget) , something similar can be done with the McGizmo "Aleph-based" range, if titanium is preferred.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
what are the lights that you feel are exceptional values for their price point this holiday season?

depending on battery preferences here are aaa, built in LiFePo, and LiIon options:

because I value High CRI:
1. aaa Copper tool w Nichia and eSwitch

2. As a gift to a muggle, I like the USB rechargeable Manker LAD w Nichia

because I value infintely variable UI:
3. Jetbeam RRT-01 w USB rechargeable 16340 battery (does not come stock w High CRI, but can be modded)

PM me if you need info on best price and where to buy, so we dont break the CPF rule against shopping links...

Zak

Enlightened
Wowtac just introduced the A6 at $30. It's a compact 1x18650 e-switch light with USB charging built in to the light (not the battery like most Wowtacs), battery included, and a claimed output of 1460 lumens. Neutral white is offered, and given that the emitter is an SST-40, we can reasonably guess that's 5000K.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight 1L-1AA is working well for me at the Brewery. It doesn't get babied and runs great on a 16340 albeit with no visible differece between HIgh and Low. The modes return on conventional cells.
P

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ 1 on the 1L-1AA. Some others:

$10 - Mag LED Solitaire.

$15 - 2AA 350 lumen Indestructible, Energizer 300 lumen task light.

$20 - Maglite ML25.

$35 - Maglite ML50.

$40 - Maglite ML300.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The one I got excited about was the Streamlight ProTac HLx5.
A dual fuel number that pumps out a lot of light. $80 for the one with CR123's, $100 for the one with 18650's.

If your local wallyworld has them a Maglite aaa minimag and Gerber knife combo for $15 is a good value. They no longer come with Ener-leaks, but with Rayovacs instead. And the knife holds an edge well.

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
When looking for gifts that will have "value to a non-flashaholic", I often will try to sneak some warmer color temp, high-CRI light into someone's life without them knowing it. Last year for my employees I engraved initials into some Astrolux A01 Nichia 219B 102LM AAA lights, total was $16.76 each through Bangood (I have access to a free laser engraver). With lithium cells inside, that was what I thought was a valuable and useful sub-$20 keychain gift light.

This year I might buy a couple of ZL H53c's and a couple Eneloops/chargers for some people on my gift list--in my mind, a very nice $82 present for a couple of people who I know have only hiked/camped with crappy 3xAAA headlamps. I think that the recipients will appreciate the ZL's weight, but probably not realize why they like the light color/quality better from their gift than their old lamps; and, I'll be happy knowing the durability and CRI of their gift.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do hope your CRI experiment works. I have tried explaining about tints and stuff to my nearest and dearest, but all they want is something to light up the dark.
Please let us know what happens, I have high hopes for you.
P