Bare naked HDS Rotary or....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bare aluminum HDS?
We seem to be sitting on a very small number of parts... in bare aluminum. I am thinking about having these nickel, silver, or gold plated since there is such a small number of them. Is there a preference out there? Hard anodizing is out of the question on these parts as they were not made to be anodized and as such, would bring them out of specification and wouldn't fit together.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I like EN-plating a lot.

Also, would DLC be a possibility ? I don't think I've seen this on Al before, so I am not sure if there is a technical limitation on that.

Or maybe chrome ?

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
The anodizing would bring them out of spec, but the nickel plating wouldn't? I'd say nickel. Relatively tough next to the silver and gold while being much less costly and still being pretty good at conducting heat and electricity.

Robe

Enlightened
I like EN-plating a lot.

Also, would DLC be a possibility ? I don't think I've seen this on Al before, so I am not sure if there is a technical limitation on that.

Or maybe chrome ?

Chrome or EN!

Chrome would prob be prohibitively expensive.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real gold or silver wears out very quickly if coated with a thin layer.

Titanium carbide (black), titanium nitride (gold), and still exists DLC - it will all be a great choice, but the titanium compounds conduct electricity, need to make insulation, as on those titanium lights.

Or something like a mixture of nickel in bright areas and one of the titanium compounds in other areas to make it look like a zebra?

update - zebra color, here it turns out, it is necessary to cover whole light first layer EN or chromium. Then cover already assembled light with strips of another material (so that at the joints of the modules they match exactly). With a lot of it will be a hell of a mess, but if there are few of them, then this is not a problem.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Chrome would prob be prohibitively expensive.

For an HDS, I doubt it.

I have a couple other small custom torches with true hard-chrome plating.

Here's an example ...

ZkPR1JB.jpg

The shiny one, obviously ;)

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a picture of the aluminum body and rotary knob in aluminum? Is that similar to Titanium or would it need to be chrome plated?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calibrating bare naked heads today. Butts are still being put together.
Hoping to ship in a Hogo 2 weeks.

img-5518.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.