Fireflies ROT66

Daddyfredregill

Newly Enlightened
I am wanting to get a ROT66. I have heard some bad things about thermal paste on the earlier ones. Are the generation 2 any better? Also I am wanting to get the highest lumen one they have. Looks like XPL. What batteries on there site would you recommend getting for this light for the safest and highest output? Also anything else I should know before getting one? Thanks

Nichia!

Banned
I don't recommend any fireflies products at all. I have many of them and all of them are broken from the factory!

They are the worst quality flashlights on the planet!!

Stay away from this brand

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stop trolling the forums.

Fireflies is an infant brand, and have had some growing pains with quality control problems on a rare occasion, but offer quality products.

The only light that had thermal paste issues was the E07 temporarily. ROT66 and ROT66 gen2 have been solid.

XPL is the highest lumen output ROT66. For best output get Sony VTC5D. For mix of high output and higher capacity get Sony VTC6.

Nichia!

Banned
Troll please listen!
You are the real troll here! Everything you say is a complete lie!

Fireflies the worst china brand I ever seen in my life !! Even convoy is premium brand if I put it against fireflies!!

I have 4 lights 2 dead on arrival and 2 badly broken with huge issues out of the box!!!

Stop trolling the forums.

Fireflies is an infant brand, and have had some growing pains with quality control problems on a rare occasion, but offer quality products.

The only light that had thermal paste issues was the E07 temporarily. ROT66 and ROT66 gen2 have been solid.

XPL is the highest lumen output ROT66. For best output get Sony VTC5D. For mix of high output and higher capacity get Sony VTC6.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Troll please listen!
You are the real troll here! Everything you say is a complete lie!

Fireflies the worst china brand I ever seen in my life !! Even convoy is premium brand if I put it against fireflies!!

I have 4 lights 2 dead on arrival and 2 badly broken with huge issues out of the box!!!

And I've had 10 Fireflies, all without a single issue.

nbp

Flashaholic
Ok, ok, Nichia!, points made. Let's just calm it down a little.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had issues with my lights and eventually all problems were solved. Communication can be tricky. I have to use a different email account since some messages don't get through

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three Fireflies. Two EO7s and one ROT66 gen 1.

All worked just fine out of the box and didn't break.

My early model E07 had the thermal paste issue under the star. It made a popping sound as air caught under the star expanded and escaped when on higher power settings. This didn't seem to affect performance in any way however and heatsinking was fine as the head still got hot. As a matter of personal taste, I didn't like the popping sound and fixed it by removing the star, chamfering the lower edge and then reinstalling it with fresh AS5 thermal grease. This solved the problem.

My other E07 is a later model and has had no problems. My ROT66 also has no problems.

I have never heard of any thermal paste issues with any model of the ROT66. My understanding is that was an issue exclusive to early model E07s and did not affect any other Fireflies model.

Last edited:

jrgold

Enlightened
I noticed the nichia 219B disappeared as an option on the fireflies site for the rot66. Ive read that emitter is discontinued, so jumped on banggood to pick one up. Anyone know if that emitter option is gone for good?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the nichia 219B disappeared as an option on the fireflies site for the rot66. Ive read that emitter is discontinued, so jumped on banggood to pick one up. Anyone know if that emitter option is gone for good?

I haven't heard anything definitive. The emitters have been officially discontinued for over a year now, I think, but rumors that they can be produced in single batches if a commercial customer asks for enough of them. There's been several group buys for bare 219B emitters run among the members of various flashlight forums, so it seems they have been turning up a thousand or two at a time.