OK, I'm a convert

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I\'m a convert

Finally got my $15 Scorpion in-hand today. I've been a D-cell flashlight guy for a long, long time. I still like the value, but these lithium lights are impressive. The throw and battery life isn't too hot, however it's brighter than my 4D Kel-Lite (with 3" head and HPR50 bulb!) and approaching a new 6D krypton Mag. Not ready to give up the dusk-to-dawn battery life of the oldies, though.

Just waiting to track down a $35 SF M6 now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: OK, I\'m a convert

Dusk to Dawn Battery Life? Try comparing the lights to your new Scorpion. I don't think your gonna get anywhere near the light output you think, after an hour from your standard D cell flashlights.

I did some research for my company about 4-5 months ago. I contacted Maglight and asked them a very simple question "How long will it take a 4D Maglight to drop to half of it's initial brightness using good quality, fresh alkaline D cells?" There reply was very short and simple, I quote "Approx. 20-30 minutes, it varies with each set of batteries"

I was so shocked I emailed them back to confirm, and they did.

Yes, you can get a yellowish usable light for several hours, but after using better quality lights for a few months that dim light will become very unsatisfactory. Welcome to flashaholicism!

GregR

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or if absolute brightness is not your primary concern, check out some of the one (or even five /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif) watt luxeon star lights that are available. Bright light for four or more solid hours before brightness drops noticeably, and NEVER a yellow color.

Techmedic

Enlightened

Go to the Energizer website and download the AA/C/D cell's pdf file. Note that more than half of the published "capacity" of the battery resides below 1.2 volts; their voltage where they consider the battery "dead" is around 0.9V. The 1.5V rating is the cream of the battery, where it drops like a black diamond ski hill to lower voltages.
Mag's response appears relatively accurate!
Check out Lithium's discharge curve and NiHM discharge curve. Kinda like a beginner ski hill, with most of the capacity above the 0.9V "dead" cutoff.
That is why we use lithium's and rechargeables. Flatter discharge means more white light for longer.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

All night might be exaggerating, but I've gotten very long runtimes out of 4+ D lights. Yes, they weren't near full brightness after that, but I could still see and work. Having to reload a small 123 flashlight after an hour isn't always something I'd enjoy. Using lithium D-cells would be great. Of course, then the cost-per-fill advanged is lost.

Hey, I'm not against 123 lights at all, but I like them for different applications.

Al Overcast, that's the mini Macro-Lite. Here's the full size. I wonder why Mag won't respond to my design proposals.

(edited--big Mag rolled up and put away for next year)

Tweek

Enlightened

Sheesh, you could use that thing for a walking pole or a quarterstaff... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Though the loooooooooooooooooooooooong mag is "nifty" - it certaily messes up the page format...hint, hint...

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Techmedic-

Yep that's why I've pretty much gone to lithiums myself.

The cost of two Surefire brand 123's at around $3 for a solid hour of usable light.

Compare that with the HALF HOUR or so of bright light from a 4-D cell costing about the same (4 d cells x $0.75 each) it was a no brainer for my company.

While the average Joe can do fine with a dimmer and dimmer light that was not acceptable for us. Besides running a high intensity lamp down to dim is bad for it and shortens their life.

GregR

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you would be better off using an Innova X5T than a dimishing 4+D Mag. At least it is much more pocketable and has enough power to run 20 hours on 5 LEDs. Not very bright but not very dim either. Just nice for a night walk in total darkness.

Andy Ho

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you would be better off using an Innova X5T than a dimishing 4+D Mag. At least it is much more pocketable and has enough power to run 20 hours on 5 LEDs and 2 lithium CR123s. Not very bright but not very dim either. Just nice for a night walk in total darkness.

Andy Ho

Kabible

Enlightened

Ever think of using an Elektrolumens FT3C? Using three NiMH C cells you can get well over 2-3 hours of very bright light with still another 5+ hours of deminishing light still bright enough for most tasks. Throw is equal to the SL Stinger. Side spill is a bit wanting but enough to illuminate the path at your feet in darkness. It has become my most trusted night time walking light as there are no street lights in my area.
Brian

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've thought about lights like the FT3C. Initial cost for some, and brightness or throw for others has been a problem. I'm a cheapskate before a flashaholic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've been looking at the SL TT 3C for a while. The idea of a low-draw "idle" mode plus a real light when you need it appeals to me.