Putting a hot spot on a Fenix LD30 beam?

Deathrow Jr.

Newly Enlightened
Greetings. I am doing my best to back away from carrying a concealed handgun for personal defense due to the immense crap storm that is sure to follow even a justified shoot in today's age. I have bought a Fenix LD30 pocket flashlight (1600 lumens) for that purpose, but I would like to improve on that uniform beam and concentrate it into a more intense hotspot. Is this possible, perhaps with a different reflector? Is there somewhere I could send this flashlight to have the mod done properly? Also, should this flashlight be able to hold up under Turbo mode, or should I be looking at a PD36R?Thanks in advance.

Keitho

Enlightened
The parameter you're after to compare focused brightness is intensity (as opposed to lumens). A mod of any flashlight is possible; but, for the hassle and cost, I might start with a new stock $44 FW1A, and always set it to momentary/turbo for pocket/tactical use. Compared to the LD30, more intensity, tail switch, truly tactical interface is possible, can get better tint/CRI. Best of luck

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
The turbo mode does step down as it reaches a certain temperature. The 90 min. rated runtime on turbo is not meant as continuous, as I see on the back of my box.

I wish the LD30 had a tighter beam too, but I don't think it's possible with such a shallow head, and still keep overall length under 4.5 inches. Great light tho ... I love mine. Good luck.

Deathrow Jr.

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to stick with Fenix. Their lights just ooze quality. Got my PD25 V2.0 in the mail today. Has a pretty good hotspot and blows this LD30 out of the water. But I'm greedy. I compared the beam lengths on the LD30 at 1600 lumens, PD32 at 1000 lumens, and PD36R at 1600 lumens. The PD36R is pretty vicious. I went ahead and ordered one of them too. This should do me for flashlights for a long time.