Can the Acebeam T27 benefit from an aspheric lens?

busseguy

Enlightened
So I recieved my new Acebeam T27 thrower flashlight the other day and I was left underwhelmed.

I guess I should have done more research but in use it's just a big wall of light that doesn't appear super bright outdoors, where as my Olight M3XS-UT has a nice hotspot when shined on things.

so does anyone know if an aspheric lens would work in the T27? I don't like large amounts of light I prefer a tighter beam with minimal spill.

And does anyone know the size lens I would need to order?

thanks in advance!

Last edited:

daffy

Enlightened
Hotspot on the one I own is very defined and bright is the cell fully charged?

Patriot

Flashaholic
In theory, an aspheric would increase throw of just about any LED light as long as the focal length is correct, but honestly, I think this is a pretty bad option to explore considering all the possible options. The interesting thing is that the T27 has better throw and way more output that the Olight so it seems that you're primarily taking issue with the beam shape. Based on your description of preferences, you should probably look into the Acebeam W30.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Even outdoors shining on a building does it have a hotspot or does it all just blend together?

It has a defined hot spot surrounded by a corona about 3 spot widths in diameter, followed by a fairly tight and fairly artifact free, spill beam.

busseguy

Enlightened
It has a defined hot spot surrounded by a corona about 3 spot widths in diameter, followed by a fairly tight and fairly artifact free, spill beam.

I might have to do an exchange then because mine is not showing a hot spot just a wall of light.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I might have to do an exchange then because mine is not showing a hot spot just a wall of light.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hmm, very interesting. I wonder if AB stuck the wrong emitter in this T27. Hopefully the replacement will be perfect because it's an impressive, stock thrower. I'm a huge fan of night hiking in the summertime and it's the thrower that I carried for over 20-30 hikes.

daffy

Enlightened
Even outdoors shining on a building does it have a hotspot or does it all just blend together?
Very central and defined hotspot-see below
Zjxj1TC.jpg

Last edited:

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
Based on their website, I strongly recommend against the w30. It is no longer available in new production and warranty issues have been highly prevalent from some underperforming lasers.

Besides, this isnt laser power forum.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
You have a serious problem if the Olight is not outperform by the T27. Either a defective model, a bad battery, or you literally have an off brand flashlight.
Fakes are getting more convincing. Fake Acebeam x80gts were sold on some websites and got rejected to be factory returned without a true number.

busseguy

Enlightened
You have a serious problem if the Olight is not outperform by the T27. Either a defective model, a bad battery, or you literally have an off brand flashlight.
Fakes are getting more convincing. Fake Acebeam x80gts were sold on some websites and got rejected to be factory returned without a true number.

It better not be fake. I ordered it from Battery Junction.

busseguy

Enlightened
Okay. It is being shipped back to Battery Junction for a refund. They were very easy to work with on this issue :)

busseguy

Enlightened
As soon as the defective one gets back to Battery Junction I will be ordering another.

What color temp do you guys suggest I get if it's going to be mainly used outdoors?