Imalent        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any oldschool folk here from 10+ years ago?

Default Re: Any oldschool folk here from 10+ years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
    .... Was startled to find out how little development there's been in 2xAA and 2xAAA form factor in the past several years....
    Frelux Synergy1 ?

Welcome back
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic

Still here, still buying lights, visit CPF several times a week still. Hard to fathom it's been just over 14 years since I joined - what a great community and source of knowledge we have here!

Cheers,
    Tim
    More Lights Than I Care to Admit but Not Enough to Stop Buying!

Flashaholic

Been here a long time, rarely post, and all I ever got that wasn't a retail light was an Arc AAA premium(?) as a gift. Still have it, but don't use it much. I'm just a dreamer. Never been good at putting my mind to things, and between work and raising a family, I don't have much time or money anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    If I can stay awake another hour the clock will tick over to my 12th anniversary here. Crazy!
    You've got me beat by a year and a week. The 23rd will be 11 years. Lots of good times here...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

That’s for sure - plenty of fun memories and laughs, demonstrations of care and generosity, ingenious designs and ideas. It’s been a good run. 🙂

Flashaholic

I have been gone for about 3 years. Came back to sign in and had forgotten my password. Greta had to reset it for me.

Bryan

do i win a prize?
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Almost ten years for me. Hard to believe really but I do recall the first purchase I made based on info from these forums was an XP-E P60 drop-in for my old Laser Products 6P. Still have both the 6P and the drop-in. I tried the lego scene for a bit and while I still like the idea of them...mostly I prefer lights that have more options for output and I've felt the old SFs to be better single output lights. They still have a place in my gear for sure...just not what they used to.

I have enjoyed this forum for 10 years. I have learned much stuff and enjoyed the humor as well.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    do i win a prize?

Who is passing out prizes?
    --Jason--
    #67/#39

Inactive for several years but joined in 2003 during the days of the Luxeon tint lottery, ARC LS, Mr Bulk, Milkyspit (I was actually the guy that taught him how to solder!) and the first Photon Fest. What ever happened to these folks? Haven't seen any of them. Still have my ARCs. Did loads of mods up till ~2012-13 but now production lights have outstripped anything I could mod.

Just discovered Emisar. The disease has gotten me again! 🙄

"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!"

Ah, the 6P led... I joined 10 years ago when looking for a replacement to my 6P led. I remember thinking how bright it was at the time and as it was replacing my big dcell Maglite the output for the size was amazing.. but then the Fenix TK10 at 225..! I thought I had the sun in my pocket...
    Now 10 years later and I just bought my son a 2500 lumen Rofis and myself an Olight S2R for Christmas and I cant believe how bright and small these things are... Amazing what happens in a decade.

Still use the Surefire.
    Last edited by SBranson; 01-05-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Thread moved to /The Cafe/.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    2003 - do i win a prize?
    Get ye over to the Oldtimers thread; this thread is for us 'newbie' old-schoolers. <jk>

I think that those designations are outdated. That thread was started in 2005, so when the OP referred to “oldtimers” the very first members had only been here for 5 years. If 5 years makes a member an old-timer, well, there’s a whole lot of us old-timers here now.

I started lurking and reading posts in 2002 and joined in 2004, but haven't been very active the last few years as house remodel and other hobbies have taken over. I am still making new flashaholics with family and friends though, the last one being just this Christmas
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I think that those designations are outdated. That thread was started in 2005, so when the OP referred to “oldtimers” the very first members had only been here for 5 years. If 5 years makes a member an old-timer, well, there’s a whole lot of us old-timers here now.
    Every once in a while I offer this definition of an Oldtimer - including in that other thread: Those who were around during and at the conclusion of the Red Shoes event.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Class of 2006 here!

There are so many nice people here, and a wealth of information that comes with them.

Best,

RedLED
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Naughty Re: Any oldschool folk here from 10+ years ago?

Still here some, left for a few years life and all. 2006 seemed like 60 lumens was a big deal now 2000 is pretty common. Amazing amazing stuff ......
    Reality is usually scoffed at and illusion is usually king. But in the battle for survival of western civilization it will be reality and not illusion or delusion that determines what the future will bring.

Flashaholic

I look in fairly often, rarely have anything to say...
    Never try to teach a pig to sing.
    It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Flashaholic*

Have been following CPF on and off since 2006 or 2007 though I didn't start posting actively until a few years later.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Silver Moderator

Still here... and still checking batteries to see how well they perform. Still using lights almost every night.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Flashaholic*

I guess it's been 10 years for me. I disappeared for a couple years in the middle there, but came back when it was time to start replacing everyone's keychain lights...

--flatline

Yeah I went from buying LED lights initially. Then I met David Chow and the modding started, next thing I know I bought a mini lathe learned a few things on that and like it so much that I sold the mini and bought a larger lathe for more fun.

We lost some great members along the way.

Flashaholic*

Yeah, back after a long hiatus. Still using my Streamlight Incan Scrpion, SF G2, E2e, E1e, M6 plus my first LEDs: the AAA & ARC LS. Gotta find a new Kroll switch.
    I'm absolutely certain that I need another flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambob View Post
    10 YRS! WOW, Is It true people back then used to carry a pocket full of stick matches for light??
    I've only been here for 5yrs, about the time I found my first love a Thrunite T30S before that I had about 20 Maglites all converted to various brightness of LED.
    Welcome back to the darkside young Skywalker.
    Did you ever see the infamous "Fire-on-a-Stick" review??

Feb of 2008 was when I joined.

I had been searching for one of those new-fangled "LED" lights and bought the first generation of Mini-Mag LEDs (had the Luxeon III emitter).

This light had the infamous "sudden death" cut-off when the batteries ran low, as I'm sure the old-timers remember. After it left me in the dark a couple of times, I came across CPF while searching for something better. Ended up buying a Fenix L1D and E01 combo deal. The L1D has the "Q2" bin Cree that was making such a huge splash at the time!

The E01 died via alkaline murder years ago (I didn't know any better!).

Still have the Mini-Mag and L1D though. I use 'em to discharge NiMH cells prior to recharging. They both still work fine.

Well, happy anniversary to me! Now I can say howdy in this thread. Been here pretty much every day since joining.

The things one acquires over a ten year period. MERCY!

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

A decade well spent, I’d say.

I can hardly believe it's been more than 10 years for me. I bought a few things in the marketplace before actually joining.

I was away from the community for the last 5 ish years. I have EDC'd a light every day though. Mostly my McGizmo Mules and a Tana TripLED 219 E2D.

It feels good to be home.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Well, happy anniversary to me! Now I can say howdy in this thread. Been here pretty much every day since joining.

The things one acquires over a ten year period. MERCY!
    Chauncey, wow, you are WAY more organized than I am! I've got lights stashed in various drawers, closets, etc etc.

Sometimes I'll come across one I forgot I had!

--------

It's been a looong time since I paid much attention to what was happening in the flashlight world. I ended up with a bunch of Quarks back when David was still cranking them out, prior to the Surefire lawsuit. After that happened I drifted away, since I had plenty to last me.

I did get really bummed out a year ago when I was trying to find 18650s for my old Fenix TK30, and discovered that none of the new style 18650 would fit! They're all too fat! That TK30 is pretty much mint condition and the only thing I can feed it are some old old AW cells that are on their last legs and aren't going to go much farther.

That has soured me on specialty battery lights; now I'm only looking at AA-powered stuff. At least now there are some high-powered AA lights out there. I even got one of those 6xAA Energizer lights that's something like 1000 lumens, neutral white! I think it was like 30 bucks at Home Depot. Who would've imagined that ten years ago?! (not me anyway).

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

C.G.,

That is is quite a remarkable collection of lights!

Do you keep them out on display like that all the time, or was it just set up for the photo OP?

Also, where did you get the orange Surefire 6P?

Best,

RL
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast