How Did We See With Halogen Headlights? by Doug DeMuro

jkxs

Newly Enlightened
For shame, Doug... Retrofitting LEDs into headlight assemblies for halogens? For shame...

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand why halogen is bad. the lumen output is very similar, the lux is almost exactly the same. I have never been impressed by stock headlights. those Escalade are the worst though, designed for halogen use and instead use LED I think, anyway nothing is more annoying than headlights. it's really made me develop the one-eye closed technique of preserving vision. Should get those things horses use to not be spooked by people.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I loved the sealed beam headlights a lot better than these plastic clear housing with halogen bulbs in them that turn cloudy/yellow and end up looking like non halogen headlights that are underdriven. You didn't have to worry about scratches on them in the winter when it iced up and could replace them when something hit the lens for about $20 or so instead of $100+ for a plastic housing.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why halogen is bad. the lumen output is very similar, the lux is almost exactly the same. I have never been impressed by stock headlights. those Escalade are the worst though, designed for halogen use and instead use LED I think, anyway nothing is more annoying than headlights. it's really made me develop the one-eye closed technique of preserving vision. Should get those things horses use to not be spooked by people.

escalade has one of the best led headlights, multiled\mulitlens, https://article.images.consumerrepo...s/2015-Cadillac-Escalade-headlight-detail-ATC , https://img2.newparts.com/prodimage/ProductImage/800/6bd74ed9-a7bf-4b07-82f3-796fa1b243d6.jpg
designed for halogen use and instead use LED I think
idk what ecalade you talking about but it is definitely not a factory set up. prbly some aftermarket junk, or someone's led kit

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I saw much better with nothing but halogen headlights back then; most car headlights were closer to the road & not shining right in my face, nobody was blinding me with their HID's, and when it was dark everyone actually drove with their lights on.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
our vision has more to it than just passing eye exam at dmv looking at letters from 20 feet, as we age we do not tolerate glare as easily, refocusing gets slower, peripheral vision shrinks, some get those changes, more or sooner than others, glasses don't really fix those issues. add health conditions that are more and more common these days, as high blood pressure and diabetes, that also affects our vision, modern brighter lights may just be 1 part f the problem.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I saw much better with nothing but halogen headlights back then; most car headlights were closer to the road & not shining right in my face, nobody was blinding me with their HID's, and when it was dark everyone actually drove with their lights on.
I agree. I miss the glass headlight lenses. I think it is ironic that few decent flashlights have plastic lenses usually those with plastic are cheap throwaway lights.

Magio

Enlightened
I saw much better with nothing but halogen headlights back then;

If you were able to drive those old cars today with headlights in the same condition they were then, and then were able to drive one of the latest vehicles with some of the highest performing LED headlights you would probably change your mind very quickly. The good LED headlights today far exceed headlights from back in the old days.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.consumerreports.org/hea...-be-brighter-but-often-lack-clear-advantages/

... At Consumer Reports, 55 percent of the 2018 models we tested had LED headlights. Of the 2019 models we've tested, 86 percent had LEDs.

... in CR's testing, we discovered that these new lights don't offer any more illumination than traditional halogen and/or high intensity discharge (HID) headlights

Both LED and HID headlights can produce a brighter, whiter light than halogens, and they illuminate the sides of the road well. But how far a headlight illuminates straight ahead, in the direction a car is traveling, is what's most important, Stockburger says. In that respect neither HIDs nor LEDs have proved to be superior over halogens in CR's testing.

"Even with the new technology, low-beam headlights don't always provide enough forward seeing distance for the driver to react to an object in the road and stop in time," Stockburger says...

Marcturus

Enlightened
That vehicle uses standard round sealed-beam halogens so I'm hoping he replaced the entire fixtures...

Edit: Looks like he did: https://youtu.be/rs0khSZ72Xs?t=1388
That looks like an OEM ZKW (plastic) lamp, the ECE (or harmonized?) H4 version having been mentioned among the recommended 7-inch halogen lamps, years ago, by one or the other Scheinwerfermann. And who knows what junk or long-life bulbs they put in during the overpriced Cali-Federalization.

And wow, that Doug guy really is annoying. The Nissan Murano Cross Cabriolet he mentioned would have fitted him much better than either the Defender or the G-Wagen which really are intended for adults.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The ZKW headlamps used on the G-Class:

1. Have glass lenses, not plastic
2. Are both DOT-certified and ECE-homologated (same lamp for all right-side traffic markets)
3. Take H4/HB2 bulbs
4. Are larger than 7" round and physically non-interchangeable. Not even close.

So unless this self-impressed, apparently ignorant DeMuro bird put in a set of VW brackets for 7" round sealed beams (as was done on pre-2002 G-Class vehicles imported to the US by an outfit called Europa), the likelihood here is he dropped a pair of so-called "LED bulbs" into his headlamps and started babbling on the linked page about how smart he thinks he is for it.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
his car is 1999, so they do have a set of vw brackets.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I'm seeing the '02+ headlamps in the linked video. Has anyone seen pics of the vehicle with whatever LED headlamps he installed?

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened
I'm seeing the '02+ headlamps in the linked video. Has anyone seen pics of the vehicle with whatever LED headlamps he installed?

I'm pretty sure the ones in the video are the ones he installed...

I did a image search for 1999 Mercedes-Benz G500 and noticed most have diffuser lenses not clear.

Marcturus

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure the ones in the video are the ones he installed...

I did a image search for 1999 Mercedes-Benz G500 and noticed most have diffuser lenses not clear.
Or as the A4638200059 lamp is DOT/ECE/CCC legal, maybe the pre-2019 Swiss (or a previous) owner had done the modernization.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
or we can just ask him in comments, anyone with you tube account is allowed to post there, we do not have to guess.