repair for stuck Surefire 6P tailcap?

busseguy

Enlightened
I just got a used Surefire 6P led yesterday. It has the rear clicky switch that does not click. It fact it does not do anything at all. You can not push it in whatsoever. I assumed someone glued it or something so it would just work as a twisty but I don't see any glue or other signs of damage to it.

Does anyone have a clue why it would be like that? Or have a fix for it?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a used Surefire 6P led yesterday. It has the rear clicky switch that does not click. It fact it does not do anything at all. You can not push it in whatsoever. I assumed someone glued it or something so it would just work as a twisty but I don't see any glue or other signs of damage to it.

Does anyone have a clue why it would be like that? Or have a fix for it?

Doesn't Surefire have lifetime warranty? Not sure if that transfers if you sell the light, but give it a shot. Given how over-priced those lights are, you may as well take advantage of the warranty.

amikee

Newly Enlightened
Did you try it with batteries? (No offense) I know my A2 would not do anything without them.

busseguy

Enlightened
Did you try it with batteries? (No offense) I know my A2 would not do anything without them.

Yes. I tried it on the light with no batteries, removed from the light, and on the light with batteries.

Last edited:

thaugen

Enlightened
The stock metal black older Surefire 6P does not come with a clicky tailcap. It is a twist for constant on, press for momentary. No click. Does the tailcap work as a momentary press when backed off slightly and content on when fully tightened? If you want a clicky switch you can order a McClicky switch and install it in this tailcap. Enjoy your new light!

busseguy

Enlightened
The stock metal black older Surefire 6P does not come with a clicky tailcap. It is a twist for constant on, press for momentary. No click. Does the tailcap work as a momentary press when backed off slightly and content on when fully tightened? If you want a clicky switch you can order a McClicky switch and install it in this tailcap. Enjoy your new light!

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they had switches that just did momentary when pressed. I just assumed it was clicky. It doesn't even work when loosened. I turned it all the way on then barely backed it off and tried the switch and nothing. Backed it off some more and still nothing.

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Just call Surefire you will get a new tailcap sent no questions asked I have several times. You will have it for free in a few days.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any pictures of the tailcap AND the bezel end? For the tailcap momentary to work properly, you need a spring on the light engine or the tailcap that pushes the battery against the tailcap.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
As stated earlier, the standard Z41 6P tailcap is a 'momentary' & twist on design; SF does sell a 'clicky' upgrade tailcap, but I can't recall its designation.

busseguy

Enlightened
Thanks for the help everybody.

ill call Surefire and see about getting a new one.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Know that the old tailcap, even if broken (which I'm not totally convinced at this point) is still worth something, as these are commonly modded in various ways.

busseguy

Enlightened
Know that the old tailcap, even if broken (which I'm not totally convinced at this point) is still worth something, as these are commonly modded in various ways.

Please explain how you aren't convinced that it's not broken. When I tighten it all the way down the light turns on. Loosen it slightly and try to push the rubber cap for momentary absolutely nothing happens. There is ZERO movement when pressing down on the cap. What else do you suggest I try next ??

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
Here are some basic things I would like at if I was having that issue...

Is the head tightened all the way down as well - if not the batteries may not be making good contact? What type of batteries are you using, i.e. rechargeable or CR123 primaries - try using CR123 if you are not just to be sure? Are the batteries new - any damage to any of the terminals that would have shortened the overall length of either battery?

When you say you loosened it slightly does that mean 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn from the fully tight position? Any more then that is probably too far.

Does anything look unusual with either the contact on the head or tail cap - springs damaged or missing?

Good luck and as others have said Surefire is really good with their warranty.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Please explain how you aren't convinced that it's not broken.

I am not trying to argue, but these are generally pretty indestructible. Of course anything is possible.

It would be odd for someone to try to glue or loctite the switch closed, but again, stranger things have happened.

We are simply trying to help you troubleshoot here. Photos might help.

When I tighten it all the way down the light turns on. Loosen it slightly and try to push the rubber cap for momentary absolutely nothing happens. There is ZERO movement when pressing down on the cap....

The amount of travel in the standard stock Z41 is tiny.

In fact, without batteries loaded, I can hardly detect it (because there is nothing for the spring to push against)

Even with batteries loaded, I'm guessing the distance moved by the switch is maybe a millimeter (?)

If you loosen the cap too far (not far at all) , you will be locked out.

Are you using this 6P with a stock P60 lamp assembly ?

What is the *smallest* amount that you can loosen the cap ? Can you get the lamp to "flicker" (barely closed) and if so, what happens when you depress the button then (ie, will it go from flickering to constant on) ?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Another possibility is thread corrosion / contamination / anodize "overspray" (had the latter once on an E1B tailcap)

Have you thoroughly cleaned the threads, on both the tailcap and body tube ?

busseguy

Enlightened
Here are some basic things I would like at if I was having that issue...

Is the head tightened all the way down as well - if not the batteries may not be making good contact? What type of batteries are you using, i.e. rechargeable or CR123 primaries - try using CR123 if you are not just to be sure? Are the batteries new - any damage to any of the terminals that would have shortened the overall length of either battery?

When you say you loosened it slightly does that mean 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn from the fully tight position? Any more then that is probably too far.

Does anything look unusual with either the contact on the head or tail cap - springs damaged or missing?

Good luck and as others have said Surefire is really good with their warranty.

The batteries are brand new Surefire CR123's. The head is fully tightened, I dont see anything unusual or anything broken in the tailcap. And regarding loosening I stopped right when the light turned off and nothing. Then I went a tiny bit more twice with no change.