Looking for a "fun" light for my 11 year old son

SBranson

Newly Enlightened
I joined here a long time ago to find a light and ended up with a Fenix TK10.. I guess I never posted and I haven't bought a light since other than headlamps for trail running and am overwhelmed by the choices now.
My son is 11 and really enjoying my trusty Fenix but I am looking for something for Christmas to really "wow" him.

I'd like something around $50'ish that has a good throw and is really bright. I figure if he's out having fun with a light he's not staring at the computer.. Ha.
Also, rechargeable would be really preferred as we go through batteries like mad with the xbox etc..

I've been looking at Olights just because they have a good sale on.

BTW... I'm in Canada so anything up here would be preferrable.

Thanks

SBranson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for more like 600-1000 lumens. My TK10 is supposedly 225 on high with a pretty focussed center and I'm looking for something brighter, more awe inspiring Ha..

I was looking at the Olight S2R Baton II but it's kinda floody on the youtube reviews.
Also, the $50 is usd so up to $75cdn is where I'm looking.

And again, being able to plug into usb would be a big plus as I'm kinda sick of my AAA headlamp slowly getting dimmer and me feeling guilty about changing out batteries that still have some juice.
And my TK10's CR123 are $40 for a box that I have to order online because no one sells them in town... (except at $6/per at the drug store)

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
He might enjoy the Fenix PD25. Fenix-lighting.com sells it with a USB-rechargeable 16340 battery for $46-ish. Goes up to 550 lumens.

The PD25 is my personal favorite and I take one with me everywhere.

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
The Manker MC11 offers more cool factor because it looks like a lightsaber.

saypat

Enlightened
not sure one could have more fun with anything other than the Emisar D4V2!

Sos24

Enlightened
He might enjoy the Fenix PD25. Fenix-lighting.com sells it with a USB-rechargeable 16340 battery for $46-ish. Goes up to 550 lumens.

The PD25 is my personal favorite and I take one with me everywhere.

That is what I was thinking. If he likes your Fenix, then it might be special to also get a Fenix. Either the PD25, or LD12 if prefer a AA, would give him a powerful light in a small package.

Sos24

Enlightened
not sure one could have more fun with anything other than the Emisar D4V2!

I wouldn't recommend giving a D4 to someone that young. The D4 is fun but if not used responsibly could cause fire or hurt someone. Even if he is responsible with it, if he let someone else borrow it and they burn themselves on it, that could be trouble.

pc_light

Enlightened
This less of a wow light and more of a learning light - Lumintoponline has put out a "kit" that sounds like fun. It's a DIY assembly of the Lumintop Tool 2.0 AA.

I ordered one for my nephew, hopefully it will get here before Xmas.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think an 11 yr old boy might enjoy doing some Dude Perfect type of stunts with a Fenix E01. :cool:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
You clearly enjoy that you son loves lights! But because he's 11-years old, I'd look at the Tool 25. Or Eagtac's D25AA and he might have fun with its various modes.

Perhaps in a few years you could introduce hm to rechargeables.

Maybe Santa could throw a headlamp into his stocking? Or a keychain light like Nitecore's Tube or Olight's i3E EOS.

SBranson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and guidance.

I ended up ordering a Rofis MR50 off of amazon as it's rechargeable, has huge brightness and throw so it should be good fun... and it's pretty cheap so it's a good starting place for him..
Youtube reviews were pretty good too.

I did buy myself a new Petzl Swift RL headlamp for myself though for night trail running.

I also picked up 4 of the Olight I1R 2EOS keychain lights as stocking stuffers for the whole family though...

**Edit.. With Olight's sale I just bought the S2R Baton II for myself... couldn't resist...

Last edited:

SBranson

Newly Enlightened
Final mentions post Christmas..

My son is thrilled. We've had them out lighting up the local field. His Rofis seems only slightly brighter than my S2R Baton II despite the 2x's supposed lumen count.. It's partially the beam difference but maybe the Rofis's 2500 isn't as "real" a claim as the Olight's 1150..
Either way, we're both happy.... for now... Ha!!! I'm already eyeing the Seeker 2 Pro I almost bought in the first place.. just waiting for the next big sales... Ha Ha!!

Thanks again all!!!