Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: Arc LSH

Default Arc LSH

Hi all. I picked up an Arc LSH last week and am thinking about doing an emitter swap. I did it years ago, but am not sure what I can do today. Does anyone know if I can put an xpg2 in it? Are reflectors still available for it somewhere? A long time ago I had a nice picture tutorial to do the mod. It was very helpful as I never do this kind of thing. I don't want to ruin the light. Any advice would be welcome. I'm hoping to keep it single mode but improve the tint. Thanks!

Default Re: Arc LSH

Hello
    Havenít seen your name in a long time. Good to see you posting!
    All I remember seeing was a triple upgrade.
    I would think a Nitchia 4K rink would be a nice upgrade. I find their beam pattern more forgiving. But that only on 3 upgrade from lux III led. The difference is amazing. I also like the XML for the same reason they seem to work well and give maximum output.

Flashaholic*

I had a pictorial take-apart guide for the Arc-LS series, but no longer have a convenient web host. PM me with your email for the PDF (5MB).

I thought I had heard of SSC P4 in high CRI, which would be perfect here.

I think it would take a bit of work to adapt the Luxeon pad for XPG, but not impossible. The Arcs had all the components and the LED on a folded circuit over a metal core, not like today's LED on metal core with another board of components. Hard to say what optic or reflector might work with an adapted XPG. I think it would depend on whether you can adjust the height of the LED. My Arcs are still at SSC P4 LEDs and Khatod reflectors. I like them, except for the poor CRI and different levels, so modern lights with Nichias get the workouts.

Paul6ppca: Thanks. Iíve been around but mostly in the HDS and Malkoff forums. Is the nichia and xml a direct replacement? As in no retrofitting?

louie: pm sent. SSC P4 High CRi would be perfect with the Khatod. Not sure I can get the materials. I might be 10+ years to late! I think adapting an LED would be over my head. I know my limits and Iíd rather leave it stock if there is potential for me to destroy it.

The HI-CRI emitter is a Seoul S42180-S2 , @ 92cri, IIRC. It may be hard and time consuming, but not impossible to find NOS.
    Many of the bicycle forums I frequented made use of that emitter for bike lights.
    Personally, if the LSH is in good shape, I would leave it stock.

Flashaholic*

The Nichia 219 series has an XPG footprint, which is different from XML and the old Luxeon 1W. XPG and XM need reflow soldering (no leads, just pads).

That said, I did fit a Nichia 219A into my HDS, which originally came with a Luxeon. I reflowed the Nichia onto an 8mm MCPCB (metal core PCB) which simulates the diameter of a Luxeon, then stacked it onto a blank 8mm to raise it to about where the die was before, then tacked the HDS lead wires onto the MCPCB pads. It's a bit of a kludge, and looks like it come very close to shorting out the wires on the reflector, but so far, so good.

The SSC Hi-CRI would be great if you can find some.

I think any new emitter will require some retrofitting. At least in my experience.