Best 18650 batteries for SureFire Fury-DFT and StreamLight ProTac HL5-X

EricBr

Newly Enlightened
My wife got a SureFire Fury-DFT light and a StreamLight ProTac HL5-X light last year for Christmas.

I have a couple of questions regarding batteries for these lights.

I currently have the following 18650 batteries:

• StreamLight Part #:220115 - 2600mAH, 3.7v, 9.62 Wh, (1 year old) with a USB charging port on the batteries
  • SureFire L18650-1SF 60-03-021 Rev A. - 3.7v, 3400mAh, 12.58 Wh (1 year old) without a USB charging port
  • Nitecore NL189 - 3400mAh, 3.7v (3 years old)

I currently use either the SureFire SF2R or a NiteCore D4 charger to recharge the batteries.

In the StreamLight my wife is getting about 5 days of use with any of the brands of batteries (only using 2 of the same brand, not mixing them). This is using the light 2-3 times per night for 10-15 minutes at a time.

My questions are:

1) I would like to have 1 brand/model of 18650 battery that will work in both lights.
All 3 brand/models of batteries above work in the StreamLight HL5x.
Neither the StreamLight nor the NiteCore batteries batteries work in the SureFire light.
When I first got the Fury, the batteries it came with did not work with the light nor did the other 2 that I have.
When I called SureFire they said that the light required a Hight Discharge (I think, it was a year ago) and that neither of the other 2 batteries I had would work with the light.​

My question is what is the best brand/make/mAh batteries should I purchase that will:​
1) Be usable in either light
2) Last the longest in terms of light usage and charging cycles​

2) The StreamLight ProTac HL5X uses 2 18650 batteries.
I have 2 of the StreamLight batteries, 3 of the NiteCore batteries and 3 of the SureFire batteries.
I read on these forums that I should only use matching batteries, so I understand that I should only use each brand together and not mix them.
My question is since I have 3 of the NiteCore and SureFire batteries, should I rotate them when they are changed (about every 5 days) to keep all 3 batteries in a similar state due to charge/discharge or should I designate 2 for the light and only use them together and take the 3rd one out of the rotation?​

3) Is there anything that I am missing or should be concerned with or aware of when using 18650 batteries with these lights?

Thanks,

Eric

Qship1996

Enlightened
I also have the dtf fury, and use and like the current Surefire 18650 battery with the built in usb charging capability { great when traveling and you dont want to lug around your charger} very powerful and only $16

EricBr

Newly Enlightened
Qship1996
Thanks. Right now that is what I am doing, using the SF in the Fury-DFT and the others in the SL. I was just curious if there were other batteries that were better that would work in both lights.

Thanks,

Eric

SSANDERS

Newly Enlightened
I like the Keeppower protected NCR18650GAs from illumn.
They also have a NCR18650GA with a charging port.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I'd like to know what the ProTac will draw if you give it a good enough battery. The NCR18650GA will give 8 Amps if I've read correctly? I don't know the spec for the OEM battery pack.

bwDraco

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an old post, but putting it out there for folks coming from Google.

The SureFire Fury-DFT requires an 18650 battery rated for 6A output. The Nitecore and Streamlight batteries you've listed do not meet this requirement, and it appears the Fury is tripping the overload protection on these cells. That said, high-output 18650 cells are a lot easier to find than before; perhaps the Nitecore NL1835HP (rated for 8A) would work here?

Draco