• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Product Announcement: NITECORE NEW P30 Long Range Hunting Flashlight

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
NITECORE NEW P30 Long Range Hunting Flashlight

1000 lumen max output with 675 yards max throw distance
Upgraded to support 21700-size li-ion batteries
Includes 5000mAh USB-C rechargeable 21700 battery
Ideal for weapon mounting

Now available in our store! Use coupon code CPF15OFF to save 15% at checkout.

P30N-V10.jpg

Agpp

Enlightened
P30N-V01.jpg

But your rechargeable cell is actually about 75mm long, isn't it?
It's good that your light supports 21750 cells but I find this picture misleading. :thumbsdow

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
You know, I have worked with, purchased, used, etc 18650 batteries for the longest time and on numerous websites, electronic vendors, vape places, etc. I have always seen a graphic similar to this one and just assumed it was correct and never questioned. I then extended this reasoning to 21700. I figured well if they stick with that nomenclature I figure its 21mm in diameter and 70mm in length. When you posted this I actually grabbed one of our standard 18650's and 21700's and measured them with the calipers and wow...it is exactly 75mm. I investigated further and I suspect the reasoning behind this is the diameter/length references are to the lithium cell series stack size not the size of encasing. (ANSI/IEC page on wikipedia)

Thank you for pointing this out, I will edit these graphics on all of our 21700 new lights to make sure they are not intentionally misleading and or confusing.

Agpp

Enlightened
Which wiki page are you referring to?
I suppose not the one that presents ANSI standard for Li-ion naming
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_nomenclature#IEC_61960
Under this standard your cell would probably be named KRM 22/76. I.e. this denotes maximum cell size in mm rather than the more common "diameter in mm + length in 0.1mm".

The reason why your "21700" cell is 75 mm rather than 70 as the name would suggest is that your company or somebody else in the supply chain buys a 21700 cell that's ~70 mm long and adds ~5mm long protection / charging circuit.
To be honest, the rewrapper should call the combined cell 21750.
But it doesn't happen, they keep calling it 21700. And customers will be disappointed to learn they can't use their favourite chargers even though the latter claim 21700 compatibility.

This is a practice that's present in the flashlight industry for much longer than I'm around - protected cells are longer than their names suggest. Usually. There are exceptions.
It is confusing. I personally refuse to follow that practice and name the cells what they are - as I called your cells 21750 in my earlier post.

NorCal707

Newly Enlightened
Which wiki page are you referring to?
I suppose not the one that presents ANSI standard for Li-ion naming
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_nomenclature#IEC_61960
Under this standard your cell would probably be named KRM 22/76. I.e. this denotes maximum cell size in mm rather than the more common "diameter in mm + length in 0.1mm".

The reason why your "21700" cell is 75 mm rather than 70 as the name would suggest is that your company or somebody else in the supply chain buys a 21700 cell that's ~70 mm long and adds ~5mm long protection / charging circuit.
To be honest, the rewrapper should call the combined cell 21750.
But it doesn't happen, they keep calling it 21700. And customers will be disappointed to learn they can't use their favourite chargers even though the latter claim 21700 compatibility.

This is a practice that's present in the flashlight industry for much longer than I'm around - protected cells are longer than their names suggest. Usually. There are exceptions.
It is confusing. I personally refuse to follow that practice and name the cells what they are - as I called your cells 21750 in my earlier post.

Thank you for pointing this out. My Xtar VP2 chargers will only accept cells with a maximum length of 71.2mm so will not be able to charge this Nitecore cell. I'm considering purchasing a couple of these new P30's but am bummed to have to also purchase different chargers just to be able to charge the cells, if there is a charger out there that will. A quick search shows no reference to 21750 cells being marketed so am not very optimistic...

Last edited:

NorCal707

Newly Enlightened
Found some info on a Miboxer C4-12 Upgrade charger that will charge cells up to 76mm or so in length. I'm still not enthused about having to buy another charger just to accommodate this longer cell so may just go with a Catapult V6 26650 cell thrower instead.

Tony Rama

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for pointing this out. My Xtar VP2 chargers will only accept cells with a maximum length of 71.2mm so will not be able to charge this Nitecore cell. I'm considering purchasing a couple of these new P30's but am bummed to have to also purchase different chargers just to be able to charge the cells, if there is a charger out there that will. A quick search shows no reference to 21750 cells being marketed so am not very optimistic...
Am I not understanding something? These "21700" actually 21750 cells don't need a charger because they have an inbuilt charger in the extra 5mm with a USB C socket. No?

Tony Rama

Newly Enlightened
Found some info on a Miboxer C4-12 Upgrade charger that will charge cells up to 76mm or so in length. I'm still not enthused about having to buy another charger just to accommodate this longer cell so may just go with a Catapult V6 26650 cell thrower instead.

It does not appear you need an external charger since this battery has a USB C socket built in for charging. (or am I misunderstanding something?).