New Cibié LED work lights

Marcturus

Enlightened
Apart from the news that Cibie Oscar LEDs have been on sale in Finland at 50 EUR apiece (Mini ), 70 EUR (Oscar), and 80 EUR (Super O, conflicting info on watts/lumens, so probably not the more powerful, 26W, wide beam),
https://issuu.com/motonet/docs/vko40_tabloid_issuu/2
I also noticed two 17W working light cubes at another Finnish shop, supposedly Cibie-branded. Are these genuine? Not unlikely given the unfortunate 6000K CCT...
www.autoluettelo.fi/wls/view_product_list.do?filtered=false&nodeId=n2816200&
www.autoluettelo.fi/Matrix/images/77/6/61-46152 product.jpg

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Re: New Cibié LED work lights?

Wow, those are amazing low prices on those lamps. If I were in the market for lamps like that, I would probably be trying to figure out if/how I could buy them from that store (more direct link here).

Those cube lights appear to be genuine; I see them on a Valeo website, and it looks like Valeo still has no fluent English-speakers on its website production team (which, now that I think about it, could be another hint that the lights are for real!)

A close look at the pic of the clear-lens version shows an "SAE Y 14" mark, signifying an auxiliary high beam ("driving") lamp designed to conform to the version of SAE J581 that was current in 2014. I can't get a clear look at the type approval marking, so I can't see the beam intensity reference number, but that Finnish site claims 60,000 candela, which would suggest a reference number of 20. The bird-eye view of the beam coverage looks nice, at 35 meters wide by 320 meters long, though there's no indication of what those boundaries represent, so I can only guess it's the 1-lux line. I'm seeing this lamp on French Amazon for 149 Euros, which is about $165. Not bad, if it's as advertised.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a friend with an old school bus that might like some good work lights, not really for *working* but for lighting up whatever party activity is going on. LED work lights would better suit his needs as he's running a 12V system; the current draw of halogens doesn't lend themselves to keeping the battery charged.

Marcturus

Enlightened

Wow, those are amazing low prices on those lamps. If I were in the market for lamps like that, I would probably be trying to figure out if/how I could buy them from that store (more direct link here).
And that's with VAT. Finland has a whopping 24% VAT in place which usually makes intra-EU exports unattractive (hence the lack of a multilingual site?).

Those cube lights appear to be genuine; I see them on a Valeo website, and it looks like Valeo still has no fluent English-speakers on its website production team (which, now that I think about it, could be another hint that the lights are for real!)

A close look at the pic of the clear-lens version shows an "SAE Y 14" mark, signifying an auxiliary high beam ("driving") lamp designed to conform to the version of SAE J581 that was current in 2014. I can't get a clear look at the type approval marking, so I can't see the beam intensity reference number, but that Finnish site claims 60,000 candela, which would suggest a reference number of 20. The bird-eye view of the beam coverage looks nice, at 35 meters wide by 320 meters long, though there's no indication of what those boundaries represent, so I can only guess it's the 1-lux line. I'm seeing this lamp on French Amazon for 149 Euros, which is about $165. Not bad, if it's as advertised.
Good preliminary info, thanks. Oh, the wonders of French B2C marketing. So it is listed in the Valeo section, and has been for two years. I had clicked on Amazon's Cibie listing to look for it, and missed it, of course.

Marcturus

Enlightened
So it's a reference 12.5 high beam, officially. No mention of work light, just "for multi-application" on the clear-lens Valeo 046152. (Maybe re-merge threads?)

Found a German (online) street price under 70 EUR excl. VAT, free returns, so I checked one out.
Item's (Valeo 046152) description on packaging is:

CIBIÉ MyBEAM Cube
LED HIGH BEAM - 3.2" 81 mm
Extra Vision 1,050 ft / 320 m
High Intensity 60,000 cd
White Color 6,000 K

FOR PROFESSIONALS [printed black on yellow]
Homologation ECE-SAE-CCC
12/24 V / 17 W

[This also in ALL-CAPS:]
resistant to extreme conditions
protection IP67 certified
vibration up to 10G
corrosion and UV resistant

no electro-magnetic interferences
for Multi-application
Made in China

Exterior packaging dimensions measured:
185w X 105h X 119d mm

lamp mass including washers, nut, 45 cm wiring with 2-pin connector: below 500 grams
plastic front lens
front part (also metal) attached by four 2 mm allen key screws.
LENS MARKINGS:
SAE Y14 CCC A061715
01 HR PL
E4 12.5 0468

wires protruding from the back, meaning that a few extra mm's are needed if bending (and some extra shrinkwrap) is required
multi-lingual (EN/FR/ES/DE/IT/RU/PL) info leaflet, meaning: sub-millimeter print size
one membrane-covered vent hole on the back, near the top
one M8 fixing bolt, nut, washers, steel, hot-dip zinc galvanized
two M6 vertical adjustment screws, 8.8 steel
100+ degree angle adjustment bracket's mounting base is 5w X 2d cm, 2 mm thick magnetic, painted. Slotted mounting hole is 2 cm long (l-r)

Attention tint modders (for show cars, and Alaric's bus parties, only):
two domed LEDs, probably Cree XPL HD, positioned side-by-side, apparently on a rectangular MCPCB that is screwed onto an alu (not zinc, hopefully) die-cast plate (or that's the inside of the lamp housing).
two white wires visible, might indicate parallel connection of LEDs.

maximum focal length: about 6 cm estimated
Vertically mounted, green pcb of the driver visible through slot in the reflecting chamber.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
So it's a reference 12.5 high beam, officially.

That translates to 37,500 candela peak intensity.

description on packaging is: High Intensity 60,000 cd

Well, like the old Sesame Street song goes: "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things does not belong".

FOR PROFESSIONALS

In all caps, wow, they must really be serious about that warning! What happens if an amateur attempts to buy/install/use it? :)

Thanks for the detailed description, which makes it sound like a reasonably worthy lamp, especially at a low unit price. I'd still like to know whether the intensity marking on the lens or the intensity declaration on the box is wrong, but I'm probably not curious enough to spend the money/time on a photometric test.

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened

I have a friend with an old school bus that might like some good work lights, not really for *working* but for lighting up whatever party activity is going on. LED work lights would better suit his needs as he's running a 12V system; the current draw of halogens doesn't lend themselves to keeping the battery charged.

The problem with that is the horrible CRI and color temp...

Marcturus

Enlightened

The problem with that is the horrible CRI and color temp...
Depends if the driver welcomes the partying or not. But do feel free to illuminate us on white Cree bins commonly selected by Valeo.

Marcturus

Enlightened
(intensity reference number 12.5) translates to 37,500 candela peak intensity.

Well, like the old Sesame Street song goes: "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things does not belong".
Could it have something to do with the prescribed warm-up period before photometric testing? If it's 30 minutes, even the good Cree XPL LEDs will have suffered a few lm/W. Alas, 50% more intensity when air-cooled due to vehicle movement seems a lot. Maybe there is a thermal protection that reduces input? I'd certainly not call it a defeat device.;-)

In all caps, wow, they must really be serious about that warning! What happens if an amateur attempts to buy/install/use it? :)
Doesn't know which connector it is. Random auto electrics professional doesn't know either, will resort to cutting cables.

Thanks for the detailed description, which makes it sound like a reasonably worthy lamp, especially at a low unit price.
Found very large pictures (can anyone id the white connector?), very small prices, Dutch seller ships to BeNeLux, France, and Germany. Absolutely no affiliation.
https://www.well-done-xenon.nl/?s=valeo+cibie&post_type=product

EDIT:
Caveat emptor xenonque.
I advise anyone interested to consider their cost risk and be very cautious when doing business with w-d-xe. Bad communication, shipment of used and altered merchandise could happen to you. But isn't that what we'd expect from about any such and similar retail outfits?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Could it have something to do with the prescribed warm-up period before photometric testing?

No.

Found very large pictures (can anyone id the white connector?), very small prices, Dutch seller ships to BeNeLux, France, and Germany.

Wow, 30 euros? That's only $34. Plus the airfare to go to Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, or Luxembourg and get 'em! :) Seriously, at that price I hope someone with shipping connections over there will buy some of these and scrutinize them. At the angle in the photo I cant get a read on that connector.