The other collections thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here at CPF we have specific locations for flashlights, knives, watches and some other gear where collections can be showcased. But……being fanatics and all some are bound to collect other things that do not fit the criteria. Old Hot Wheels cars, beer bottles, dinasaur fossils, GI Joe action figures, comic books, vinyl albums, refrigerator magnets……
The list is potentially endless.

The IT guy at my work collects oatmeal canisters. "Why?" I asked one day to which he indicated it was instrumental in him going from a stout 265 pounds to a svelte 165 pounds, so each 'brand' on the shelf in his office represents milestones where he successfully thwarted urges for milk shakes and candy bars with yummy flavors of oatmeal. My dad collected knife rests. Little crystal dumbell shaped devices folks set the butter clad knife on after smearing it on a hot biscuit long ago. He said during the depression years if you had both butter and hot biscuits, man that was quite a treat.

My boss collects cars he either raced or raced against in the 1960's. He calls it his 401k collection as some have increased in value to numbers they would have never imagined in 1963 when a typical grocery getter cost oh, 2 to 3 thousand bucks.

I collect stickers. That goes back to when I was a lad and some neighborhood kid went flying past my house on a bicycle hollering at an older kid "hey Keith, check out my new details" (instead of decals). His bike was plastered with auto racing brands his dad used to pick up at the local drag strip where he ran a car. Over the years an assortment of decals representing politics, shoes, places I visited, record labels, catchy phrases, and all kinds of brands of products.

There was a time when "free" stickers were no longer free. Companies found out that Americans will pay you to advertize their products. Sad but true. So ever since the mid 1970's my goal has been to acquire stickers at no charge. Like certain SureFire models that come with a sticker. Sometimes I pay for a sticker, but there's usually a purpose such as buying one from a gift shop in a town I worked in or to help spread the word about a particular idea or fundraisers.

E706-DBDB-8-C6-C-4-C5-B-BE0-A-5-C950-F635-A57.jpg

Here's a few that were included with purchases or acquired at work with a couple of fund raiser items.
I also collect refrigerator magnets.

So what "odd ball" items do you collect?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote: "The IT guy at my work collects oatmeal canisters. "Why?" I asked one day to which he indicated it was instrumental in him going from a stout 265 pounds to a svelte 165 pounds... ... ... So what "odd ball" items do you collect?"

I collect empty 14 ounce tofu containers. I stack them, one inside the other. When the stack gets too high to resist toppling over, I trash it and start another stack. My trash can is mostly populated by empty oatmeal containers. If it ain't plain water, a plain fresh fruit or vegetable, a grain or a bean, or a seed or a nut, I ain't eating it.

Mega oatmeal, spinich and tofu (all plain, no added anything else, water only) was instrumental in my going from 44 inch waist to 34 inch, 233 pounds to 161 pounds, in five months. I have over three and a half years success in keeping the pounds off. Seven brisk, hilly miles per day, 49 miles per week, 8,000 miles in 3.5 years, and two self defense cases are what I have to show for big, rippled calves.

Endomorphs who have known me for a long time think I look like a Treblinka survivor, and mesomorphs who have only known me for a short time think I look perfectly normal.

----------------
I don't have any dog bite scars on my legs, arms or body, because I have two self defense cases. I have two self defense cases, because I don't have any dog bite scars on my legs, arms or body.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No more Twinkies for you, huh?
Eh, that's cool.

Me, I just switched from 12" dinner plates to 9", cut out sugary drinks and started working out with ordinary household items like water jugs, 5 gallon buckets, a vaccum cleaner etc and the pounds came off without all the big changes in overall diet. I hadn't been consuming much garbage for years anyway but insolun resistance was creeping in so I just reduced the calorie intake through portion control and burn more calories each day. Nutrition courses at my work aided in a better understanding of how the body deals with vitamins and minerals. Takes longer to shake the weight yet also has created lots of positives for the long run as I approach the Geritol years.

Anyway, here's a sample of the sticker and magnet collection from a metal armoire at my dads house.
B723-D191-F0-E0-46-F6-88-F4-CBED0-D5-D78-B4.jpg

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
STICKERS are cool because they show you what the person who has them is interested in.
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
No more Twinkies for you, huh?
Eh, that's cool.

Me, I just switched from 12" dinner plates to 9", cut out sugary drinks and started working out with ordinary household items like water jugs, 5 gallon buckets, a vaccum cleaner etc and the pounds came off without all the big changes in overall diet. I hadn't been consuming much garbage for years anyway but insolun resistance was creeping in so I just reduced the calorie intake through portion control and burn more calories each day. Nutrition courses at my work aided in a better understanding of how the body deals with vitamins and minerals. Takes longer to shake the weight yet also has created lots of positives for the long run as I approach the Geritol years.

Anyway, here's a sample of the sticker and magnet collection from a metal armoire at my dads house.
B723-D191-F0-E0-46-F6-88-F4-CBED0-D5-D78-B4.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Shimano: as in bike parts or fishing gear GG?

The other stickers led me to wonder. He seems like an outdoorsee type. Perhaps hiker/mountain biker, or perhaps a salt water fishing fan……
I have Shimano hats from a sporting goods store and Shimano stickers from a bike shop. Same logo. lol.
My favorite reels are Shimano bait casters and favorite gear selectors are Shimano thumb levers.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Like Yamaha and Honda, they make all kinds of stuff Archi. Yamaha and Shimano use the same logo for their items though. Honda chooses to use various logos and fonts for their various products.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other collections:

Shot glasses
Poker Chips
Lighters
Weapons
Guitars
G I Joe
Wood boxes of all sizes some self made
Wood bowls I have turned
Skulls, not real ones :p
And this one is odd, I seem to fall into Kirby vacuums everywhere I turn. I have only used them since I was younger as my parents owned one older than me. I have purchased 3 new ones over my life and since I can and have repaired them I now have 7 at the moment.
The number is a moving target as I try and sell some but no one has carpet anymore so you have to give them away, in fact I have acquired 3 from replies to listings of the ones I try to sell, people contact me saying hey I have one you can have free...……..my Wife is ready to thwap mah arse if I accept one more. :whoopin:

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Like Yamaha and Honda, they make all kinds of stuff Archi....

Oh, I realize that there are all kinds of corporate conglomerates these days, but hadn't known that both the cycling brand and the fishing brand were the same in this case (until you mentioned it)

One of the most interesting to me is Swarovski, who make pretty much just decorative crystals, figurines, and ... the world's finest binoculars ?

Anyway, back on-topic, I collect what I guess are called "lapel pins" but I think of them more as souvenir pins.

I really enjoy traveling and pretty much anywhere you go, these little pins are inexpensive and readily available.

My favorite are some of the more intricate and colorful designs, although the general trend over the past decades seems to be towards lower quality in general.

I look for ones that especially concisely encapsulate some "idea" about the location, or museum, or event, and even moreso if visually clever in some way.

I have a very few, typically older ones (like from the '70's) that are near-jewelry quality in their art.

They are easy to pin to fabric backing for display, but even just rummaging through a box of them brings back vivid memories of visiting their source :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Although not really a collection, I have an unusual number of gloves.

Summer work gloves & play gloves, Fall & Spring temp gloves for all sorts of reasons.
Winter temp gloves (&mitts) for upper midwest ,,, sch!ch I couldn't even guess on how many different winter gloves I own.

I may have upwards of 20 different gloves-- w/ some of those having backups..:eek:oo:

nbp

Flashaholic
^^^^^^ "If you have 20 pairs of gloves at the ready...you might be from Wisconsin..". LOL

I hear that, brother!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^^^ "If you have 20 pairs of gloves at the ready...you might be from Wisconsin..". LOL

I hear that, brother!

+

truethat

Nearly all my gloves are from Fleet Farm or Menards,, buy stuff on sale & get killer deals for non name brand gloves.
You don't have to spend alot on gloves, as long as they are fully functional for what you need.

point: I have a couple pair of Thinsulate, over the wrist winter gloves, Gore Tex lined, got them on sale for like $24---------beat that!
use those specifically for snowblowing & shoveling

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another collection a lot of folks here can probably relate to or even have one themselves.

78-C1-C00-B-17-DC-4-FC2-B8-B6-371-FA4-E56412.jpg

The universal fashion accessory: baseball caps.

Mine probably began the year I signed up for little league baseball. Of course those are long gone. I still have a few old nascar driver ball caps like Tim Richmond, Bill Elliott and Alan Kulwicki. Perhaps my favorite racer ball cap was the one that mimic'd the Texaco service station worker hat "the man with the Star" but it had a swirvin Irvan autograph emboroidered on the back. Can't say I know where that one is though.
Like stickers, most were acquired through promotional means but I do buy them at times too. Unlike flashlights, I have never kept count over the years. A ball cap is like a pair of comfy shoes. You wear one until it is worn out, toss it and put on another one. Every single one in the photo has been worn at some point, yet typically not for long because it just didn't have that little something……the way it fit, or perhaps it looked crooked in the mirror, too tall, too short, or who knows?

Now a baseball hat cannot get crushed when sandwiched between other ball caps. Sacrilidge there folks. Nope, when assembling a stack each one is carefully sized, and checked to ensure it wraps around the one behind it just right. No wrinkles allowed. Wars have been started over a crushed ball cap. Marriages desolved when the spouse accidently sat on one. "Respect the hat lady!!" I learned the hardway that if you leave it where it can get sat on it will get sat on.

I've also learned a baseball cap is an individual thing, so gifting one to a fellow fan is often disappointing if your hope was to see them wear it a lot. They too understand that each ball cap has to fit just right, and look just right.

Last edited:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a collection of old home computers, most from the early 80's: Sinclair ZX81 (5x), ZX Spectrum (7 or 8 @ last count), several MSX(and /2/2+), Atari 2600, Oric Atmos, a bunch of old PC's, a >20y old chess computer, game cartridges, I/O or memory extensions, and probably some more I forgot. Quite familiar with the hardware inside most of them. For example that Oric Atmos is rare these days, and very rarely seen in my country. My specimen came from Italy & turned out non-working. But got it working again & is now heavily modded by yours truly. :cool:

Not actively collecting those any more. If anything I'll rather thin my collection going forward. But it's always funny if I mention this & people ask me how many computers I own. "Oh dunno, 30+ or so". :whistle:

Kind of an extension to that: a decent collection of antique CPU's and memory chips. Z80's unsoldered back in the day during upgrades / repairs, a pair of 68000's in gold + purple ceramic, some of the earliest RAM IC's, a variety of UV EPROMs, some 8008 CPU's (4x), vintage sound & video chips, many PC cpu's & RAM sticks, etc etc. Nothing too unique or expensive, but some nice items among it nevertheless.

Most of these are becoming increasingly rare as time passes. And thus keep going up in value. Sometimes even I am surprised to see what things go for on eBay & co. Combine that with how many CPU's a small box will hold & you may understand I'm in no hurry to get rid of those. The computers are a different matter though - takes up more space than I'd like @ this point in my life. But it's hard to decide what to keep & what not. Some are more or less a 'commodity' that you can buy or sell @ known prices. But for some items, it's hard to let go if you have a history with them and effectively it's "sell off = never own one again". :mecry: