Review NITECORE TM9K - 9500 lumen

ro.ma.

Enlightened
NITECORE TM9K

g8zKE8au_o.jpg

The Nitecore TM9K was sent to me directly by Nitecore for review.
For product specifications: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/tm9k
For the purchase: https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-TM9K-9500-Lumen-Rechargeable-Flas...

The multilingual manual: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/Uploads/FLASHLIGHTS/download/1574321015.pdf

I am happy to review the latest product released by Nitecore, the TM9K a compact and rechargeable tactical EDC which provides up to 9500 lumens that can be activated quickly at the touch of a button. The first impression, just taken in hand, are the really small dimensions of the TM9K that you hold very well in your hand.
The Nitecore TM9K offers 6 light levels including the Strobe level that can be activated with a double tap.It has 9 CREE XP-L HD V6 LEDs and reaches the maximum intensity of 18000cd covering a distance of 268 meters.
The Nitecore TM9K is powered by a built-in 5000 mAh 21700 rechargeable battery. The charging port adopts the new USB-C interface which uses QC fast charge technology.
It is equipped with 2 tail switches: Power Button and Mode Button.
The Nitecore TM9K has an electronic lock and is IP68 certified with 1m impact resistance.

A1kODwur_o.jpg

OHVHb7g3_o.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E6JKKq3J_o.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features:

• Utilizes 9 x CREE XP-L HD V6 LEDs with a max output of 9,500 lumens
  • Maximum beam intensity of 18,000cd and maximum throw of 268 meters
  • An optical system combined with crystal coating and "Precision Digital Optics Technology" (PDOT)
  • Lightweight and rigid CNC machined unibody design provides superior heat dissipation capability
  • Built-in 5,000mAh 21700 rechargeable Li-ion battery
  • Intelligent Li-ion battery charging circuit with a USB-C port
  • Highly efficient constant current circuit provides a stable output for up to 60 hours
  • Dual tail switches enable intuitive operations for tactical applications
  • TurboReady' Technology (9,500 Lumens)
  • The power indicator beside the dual switches indicates the remaining battery power
  • The power indicator can display the battery voltage (±0.1V)
  • Optical lenses with double-sided scratch resistant coating
  • Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy
  • HA III military grade hard-anodized finish
  • Rating in accordance with IP68 (2 meters submersible)
  • Impact resistant to 1 meter

Specifications:
Length: 125mm (4.92")
Head Diameter: 40mm (1.57")
Tube Diameter: 26mm (1.02")
Tail Diameter: 28mm (1.1")
Weight: 218g (7.69oz)

Accessories:
Clip, Lanyard, USB-C Charging Cable, Holster

8v9s1h8j_o.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1Sn3LQj4_o.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nitecore TM9K arrived without the classic Nitecore box. Wrapped inside the bubble wrap I found the TM9K inside its holster and some accessories like the lanyard, the Clip and the USB-C cable for charging.

Vvw4M7CM_o.jpg

DqHjwHzO_o.jpg

The holster of the Nitecore TM9K is in fairly soft cordura with a tear-off closure. Behind we find at the top the D-ring and centrally a double loop including a tear-off loop. The TM9K must be inserted with the head up and once inserted in the holster it remains firmly in place.

jjNf9aNQ_o.jpg

0sOpbhaw_o.jpg

jLjbMLve_o.jpg

The stainless steel clip, included in the package, once inserted in the torch remains firm and allows and easy insertion in the jeans. On the Clip we can insert, in its two slots, the supplied cord.

2jMyFZrY_o.jpg

k7b33h2Y_o.jpg

The Nitecore TM9K has good build quality, there are no strange edges or construction residues and it is a compact and manageable EDC. You can close it completely with your hand holding it perfectly. The line is very beautiful and massive, where the numerous cooling fins, that, even if not deep, allow a good heat dissipation. It is made of aluminum alloy with an anodized finish, black in color, hard of military type; very good and robust the coating. The TM9K has a CNC Unibody design and, since the battery is built-in, has no unscrewable parts.
The Nitecore TM9K has an IP68 waterproof rating (submersible at 2 meters) and holds the impact up to 1 meter.

hM8Gy23p_o.jpg

YUz0zyuz_o.jpg

HxPxdejI_o.jpg

On the head of the Nitecore TM9K, of 40mm, we find 9 small SMO dishes with the 9 CREE XP-L HD V6 LEDs. The optical system has a crystal coating and digital precision technology. The stainless steel bezel is really beautiful and well made. I really like the burnished color and it is slightly crenulated (Strike Bezel). Thanks to the TurboReady technology the TM9K emits a maximum power of 9500 lumens in Turbo in a fast way with just the long press of the Mode button.

ggCID2rX_o.jpg

bY3Bdmms_o.jpg

XG8nmLwS_o.jpg

wzFUpa7e_o.jpg

Still on the head of the TM9K, we find the fast charging port with USB-C technology protected by a rubber flap.

JKxpvE8U_o.jpg

Bjon77nn_o.jpg

J68bbbjS_o.jpg

This fast charging port allows the TM9K to be recharged approximately 80 percent in just 1 hour and 45 minutes when charging is done via a QC adapter (Quick Charge 3A), while the full charging time may vary from 3 hours and 30 minutes up, depending on the remaining charge of the internal battery.
When charging is fast, the blue LED in the queue will flash quickly, while if we recharge in a standard way the flashing will be slow. At the end of the charge the LED will remain on to indicate that the Nitecore TM9K is fully charged. According to Nitecore, the fully charged torch can remain on standby for approximately 12 months.

IQHKO4gN_o.jpg

Well written and legible the writings all placed on the head of the TM9K

iBWQKBJN_o.jpg

8Xu4Sgq4_o.jpg

The TM9K has a built-in battery (I don't think it's user-replaceable). It is in the 21700 5000 mAh format. This solution may or may not like it; surely the fans or torch experts will not be happy with this solution which guarantees a simpler use, also eliminating the problems related to the replacement of the battery, but precludes the possibility of choice and limits in part the time of use of the torch.

MD8N1uew_o.jpg

On the central body of the TM9k we find two knurled circular strips, while in the rear we find the two tactical switches, Power Button and Mode Button as well as the status LED.The power switch is in relief and easy to find and operate even if it does not allow the TM9K to be put to candle. The click is noisy.

MKdgYVYa_o.jpg

xiTFI5YG_o.jpg

5xU94nsY_o.jpg

The Power Button (Tactical Tail Switch) allows you to turn on and off the torch and momentary ignition (Momentary-on).
The TuboReady Mode Button allows the variation of available light levels and direct access to Turbo and Strobe.
The TurboReady allows the TM9K to enter Turbo mode (9500 lumens) quickly with just a long press on the Mode key. The duration of the Turbo is approximately 7 seconds before returning to the previously set level.

MgwZn7Dj_o.jpg

The Nitecore TM9K has 5 levels + the Strobe.

Turbo: 9500 lumens
High: 1900 lumens
Mid: 460 lumens
Low: 130 lumens
Ultra low: 30 lumens
Strobe: 9500 lumens

Once the TM9K has been turned on with the Power Button, the blue status LED indicates the remaining charge level of the internal battery. When the light is on and the power level is close to 50%, the blue power indicator will flash every 2 seconds to inform the user. When the light is on and the power is near to depletion, the blue power indicator will flash quickly and continuously to inform the user.

Tactical Momentary Illumination
Half press and hold the Power Button to turn on the light momentariy. Release to turn it off.
On / Off
On: When the light is off, press the Power Button until a click sound is heard to turn it on. Off: When the light is on, press the Power Button until a click sound is heard to turn it off. (The TM9K has mode memory. When reactivated, the flashlight will automatically access the previous memorized brightness level or STROBE Mode.
Brightness Levels
When the light is on, short press the Mode Button to cycle through "ULTRALOW — LOW — MID — HIGH".
TurboReadyTM
When the light is on/off, press and hold the Mode Button to directly access TURBO of 9,500 lumens. Release to return to the previous status.
STROBE Mode
When the light is on/off, double press the Mode Button to access the STROBE Mode. When the STROBE Mode is on, either short press the Mode Button or click the Power Button to exit the STROBE Mode.
Lockout / Unlock
Lockout: When the light is on, click the Power Button while holding the Mode Button and release both buttons to access Lockout Mode. The flashlight will flash once before turning off to indicate this process. After that, the power indicator will flash to show the battery voltage.
Unlock: In Lockout Mode, triple press the Mode Button to exit Lockout Mode. The flashlight will flash once to indicate this process.
Thermal Protection Function
The TM9K has Thermal Protection Function. It will automatically lower its output to avoid overheating when accessing the TURBO or HIGH Level for a prolonged time.
Power Indication
When the light is on, click the Power Button while holding the Mode Button and release both buttons to access Lockout Mode. The flashlight will flash once before turning off to indicate this process. After that, the power indicator will flash to show the battery voltage (±0.1V). For example, when the battery voltage is at 4.2V, the power indicator will flash 4 times followed by a 1.5-second pause and 2 more flashes. Different voltages represent the corresponding remaining battery power levels:

ElUUFEbo_o.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nitecore TM9K next to other torches.

ZGsFfjMy_o.jpg

BEAM AND RUNTIME:

The color and the beam of the Nitecore TM9k are pleasant, resulting in no artifacts. Good work has been done with the parable; despite the 9 LEDs the beam is homogeneous even at close range to the wall. The beam is floody with a beautiful shade of white. Excellent the STROBE "ready mode", with variable frequency, which can be activated simply with two quick touches. The Turbo mode is impressive for how much light can get out of the TM9K considering the size of the torch. A bit of PWM is visible through the display of my reflex but not with the naked eye. The start of the spill from the walk is adjacent to the feet.

CIX2qkT0_o.jpg

JPTGm00V_o.jpg

UlFq9bbk_o.jpg

EBCeETh4_o.jpg

EX2vooAN_o.jpg

Runtimes were performed in a closed environment at a temperature of about 19 °C with the TM9K fully charged.

I should point out that the values expressed by the graphs must be taken, above all, as a reference because they are made with means and environmental conditions different from those used in the laboratory.

1 - Nitecore TM9K at the HIGH level without ventilation.
nJVRRPGd_o.jpg

2 - Nitecore TM9K at the HIGH level without ventilation the first 20 minutes.

2ZsPHJ4k_o.jpg

3 - Nitecore TM9K at the HIGH level with forced ventilation.
X9TmWgj4_o.jpg

4- Nitecore TM9K at the MEDIUM level without forced ventilation.
i0f0Byp2_o.jpg

5 - I tried to activate the TURBO level in sequence, from the graph you can see the duration of the Turbo and how many times you manage to operate it continuously. The Turbo switches the light output to the memorized level (HIGH) when it is deactivated.
RIbqOkH6_o.jpg

VIDEO.

CONCLUSIONS:

The Nitecore TM9K is a complete EDC torch. The first thing that catches the eye are the small dimensions with an excellent grip in the hand and the excellent construction to the touch. The TM9K, through the two tactical tail switches, can be managed quickly and easily. Strobe Ready Mode and Turbo Ready Mode allow the TM9K to operate Strobe and Turbo instantly with the power of 9500 lumens. Good the Runtime and the levels (perhaps missing a Moon level) of the Nitecore TM9K which is powered by the powerful 21700 5000 mAh battery incorporated and is rechargeable through the fast USB-C port. In conclusion the beam, floody, is excellent and the color is not too cold.
Thank you for reading the review.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
9,500 lumens, 1.47 inch head diameter, 218grams, 7.69 oz: Who do I give my money to first, now?

Thank you for your informative review!

Connor

Enlightened
Interesting flashlight but I stopped reading at "built-in battery that cannot be replaced by the user". This is bollocks esp. in a high powered light like this which will put more stress than usual on the battery.

ro.ma.

Enlightened
Interesting flashlight but I stopped reading at "built-in battery that cannot be replaced by the user". This is bollocks esp. in a high powered light like this which will put more stress than usual on the battery.

It is not specified but I do not think it is user replaceable.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
Looks like a very nice light, but as mentioned it has a huge thumbs down feature as far as I'm concerned and that's the built in battery. I'm sure they use a top quality battery but they do and will degrade as everyone here knows, and when the battery is done so is your light. There is also a very visible PWM that can be seen on a You Tube review that I've watched. I'm not sure if this light is in it's final form for release or if Nitecore intends to make any more changes to this light.
And I thank you for your review!

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite supplier ordered a few of these to assess and evaluate, then one of these little screamers will be on its way to me.

This light has both things that I like: Firstly: The ability to near instantly disgorge its entire fuel supply in a brief, blinding flash of max lumen spec goodliness, and secondarily, it also is factory equipped with the ability to select a normal mode setting, to provide for normal power for its size and normal runtime. Yay!

Since this light is capable of USB-C QC Fast Charging, but does not include any charger in the box, maybe someone who knows the difference between an amp and a volt can chime in with a brief primer on Fast Charging and options available when selecting a charging adapter, and maybe some brief pointers on if slow charging would be better for battery life, etc.

----------------
"Normal" is a setting on a washing machine flashlight.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
This thing is small! You actually could you it for EDC. But with one hell of a burst. I like it.

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
Any idea of the standby drain? I had a Nitecore flashlight around 5 years ago and that standby drain was so high it would be dead in a few weeks. Never bought one since. I see from your review they say 1 year of standby, but I'm not sure if I believe that with the LED status light constantly on.

ro.ma.

Enlightened
Any idea of the standby drain? I had a Nitecore flashlight around 5 years ago and that standby drain was so high it would be dead in a few weeks. Never bought one since. I see from your review they say 1 year of standby, but I'm not sure if I believe that with the LED status light constantly on.

Hi, the LED status light constantly on when you turn on the torch. Regarding 1 year of standby declared, you have to trust us even if it's better to give him a load every now and then.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine today. I think this is currently the most powerful flashlight in its size classification.

A standard 5 volt, 2 amp charger provides normal rate charging. I directly observed that the blue light will blink one complete on/off cycle every two seconds when normal rate charging. Quick Charge happens when a special Quick Charger is used, the blue light will blink more rapidly.

Can I guess that normal charging is better for the battery, that is, if only Quick Charge is used for a few years, the battery will not last as many years?

The amount of light coming from this size light is absolutely amazing! Yes, I can select normal mode for normal runtime, too.

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
Thanks for the review.

Just to mention it, the strobe mode can also be permanently set to the main switch. Very useful for those who are concerned. Switch on the lamp, double click on the mode switch, switch off the lamp. The main switch remembers strobe.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
$160 seems like a nice price for the super output, small size and many features, but the only lights I buy with non-replaceable cells are real cheap. If it weren't for that single caveat I'd get one now. Perhaps customer feedback will induce a change for user access to the 21700 cell.

Suddenly, I feel a real NEED for that many lumens. It wasn't that long ago a monstrous HID with a heavy 12V gel-cell was required for ONLY ~3000 lumens. WOW! Adjusting for inflation, the two that I bought cost the same as the Nitecore. I'm glad that trickle-down and technological advances work in our favor.

kalantan

Newly Enlightened
i havent bought a new light in years.... but i bought this !!!

I am considering this on and the Fenix TK72 from Vinh. From the reviews and beam shots it seems that the TM9K is the floodier of the two. How floody has your experience with it been...? Thanks!

ro.ma.

Enlightened
I am considering this on and the Fenix TK72 from Vinh. From the reviews and beam shots it seems that the TM9K is the floodier of the two. How floody has your experience with it been...? Thanks!

Sorry if I answer only now. My experience with the TM9K has been good. Really compact flashlight.

SKV89

Enlightened
I tested the Nitecore TM9K using the Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights and a Sekonic C-800-U spectrometer. Output taken at 2s from turn-on.

Nitecore TM9KTurbo8,190 lumens6637K0.0017 DUV69.7 CRIBlue light relative amplitude 1.00-25.2 R944.2 R1265 Rf96 Rgincluded battery
Nitecore TM9KM41,879 lumens6247K0.0057 DUV69.0 CRIBlue light relative amplitude 1.00-34.7 R941.2 R1266 Rf95 Rgincluded battery
Nitecore TM9KM3446 lumens6109K0.0072 DUV69.2 CRIBlue light relative amplitude 1.00-37.1 R940.0 R1267 Rf95 Rgincluded battery
Nitecore TM9KM2124 lumens6121K0.0066 DUV69.1 CRIBlue light relative amplitude 1.00-35.9 R940.5 R1267 Rf95 Rgincluded battery
Nitecore TM9KM133 lumens6543K0.0025 DUV70.0 CRIBlue light relative amplitude 1.00-26.6 R941.7 R1266 Rf96 Rgincluded battery
Note: the TA lumen tube gives lower readings for mules and extremely floody lights. I think we can add 5-10% to the measured output of this light.

The light looks good and it is extremely floody with a somewhat noticeable hotspot at the center. Makes for a great indoor light especially for large spaces. The output is really limited by the 5000K battery in it. I think it is a 50E or M50T rated at 10A continuous. If they used the brand new Samsung 50G rumored to have 15A continouous, it should be able to hit 10k lumens. I'm sure if it used a high current battery like the P42A or 40T, it can do 12k+. I know this is meant as a tactical light but I just wish it could tail stand. I don't like the CCT and tint though so probably won't ever use it as a tail stand light.

Last edited:

gsteve

Enlightened
it is very floody! will light up a whole room. I usually dont like really floody lights but i like this one.

HIDSGT

Enlightened
With a 20 second runtime on Turbo the light is utterly useless! Bought it and returned it the very next day! What a marketing scam!

ro.ma.

Enlightened
The Turbo is only momentary to use for a few seconds when needed.The flashlight is great. And anyway, before buying any product I try to read some reviews.

Last edited: