The Fenix-Store        
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

  1. #1
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,744

    Default Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Iím sitting in a Culverís (if youíre from the midwest especially Wisconsin you know them; if not, they do butterburgers and frozen custard) eating a burger and drinking a root beer. My paper drink cup has no lid or straw on it, as I am eating in the restaurant. At home I manage to drink out of cups every day of my life without lids or straws. But as I look around, every other person eating in the restaurant has a lid and straw on their cup. Now, for To-Go orders I get it, people probably drink their beverage in the car. But in the restaurant, do adults need straws to drink a soda? Now, I know fast food packaging is super wasteful in general and I hate the pile of paper junk I have left over after my occasional burger joint jaunt. Some of that we as consumers have little control over. But this is a simple one. Think of the millions of single use plastic lids and straws that could be saved if just the people eating their fast food order IN restaurant drank from a cup as they would at home vs. through a straw.

    So that got me curious: do you automatically put a lid and straw on your cup when you get your order FOR HERE or do you skip it like I do and just drink from the cup? Am I the only one?

  2. #2
    Flashaholic ironhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    439

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Same here. Restaurants always give a straw with the drinks also, and I don't use them.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

  3. #3
    peter yetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Norfolk UK
    Posts
    4,712

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Thank you stating a conversation about this senseless waste.
    Hopefully you've thrown a small stone in a very large pond and will create some giant ripples.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    I would just like to point out that this is a political post, as it relates to policy positions regarding how we should conduct ourselves vis-a-vis environmental management and husbandry. Some may hold the view that we have bigger fish to fry because paper is derived from renewable resources and plastic straws/lids are the least of our concerns when it comes to petrochemical consumption, which will not pose a significant threat to humanity for a long time anyway, if ever, given the pace of technological advances and the available supply. Ocean pollution is an issue, but comes mostly from China, India, third world, and developing countries; not from the U.S., and certainly not from Wisconsin. Advocating inconvenience, or even forced departure from preferences in service of a policy position that is arguably immaterial in the grand scheme of things, is inherently political. I appreciate the fact that your post was not advocating legislation, but rather mindfulness, but it may still come off as politically preachy depending on your point of view and perspective on these things.

    I have seen active moderation on this forum about political posts. Perhaps the fact that this is in the Cafe makes it different, but unlike other boards I frequent, this one does not have an OT political sub forum (Iím new, so maybe I just havenít seen it), and the policy seems to be that this is a politics free zone.

    Please consider the fact that a point of view that seems uncontroversial to you may not seem so to others who come from the other side of the political spectrum. Conventional wisdom when it comes to society and politics is rarely, if ever, objective.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,744

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    I actually have no political affiliation whatsoever, and this wasnít meant to be political post at all. As a Mod here, I am familiar with the rules. Iím not advocating for legislation or anything of the sort in this post. As Peter Yetman pointed out, we can all take a look at our daily consumption habits to see where we can generate less waste, if we choose too. I was merely looking at something while I had my meal, and was curious about othersí dining in habits. I even pointed out that I understand using this items in situations that call for them - they were invented for a reason of course. But this particular situation seemed to me to be a circumstance where a person could easily and without inconvenience generate several less pieces of trash. On the other hand, If a person wants to consume every piece of plastic available to them, who am I tell them they canít?

  6. #6
    Flashaholic boo5ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    I know it's wasteful but I still use the lid/straw when I'm in the restaurant. At least the straws are covered, the cups not so much. Who knows how many hands have touched the rim or inside the cup before it was given to me also was the cup dropped on the floor and the worker just put it back in the stack?

    I know you can say the same about the straws before they were put inside the paper covering but I'll take my chances.
    "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."- Tennessee Williams

  7. #7

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    You are still drinking out of that cup, how is a straw and lid gonna help? Haha
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

  8. #8
    Flashaholic boo5ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Makes me feel better because my mouth isn't physically touching the cup. It's a placebo effect
    "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."- Tennessee Williams

  9. #9
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,204

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Quote Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
    .... Perhaps the fact that this is in the Cafe makes it different ....
    Just talking about cups and straws, sitting here in The Cafe, among friends

    Quote Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
    .... unlike other boards I frequent, this one does not have an OT political sub forum (Iím new, so maybe I just havenít seen it)....
    Oh, we do actually, and the politics is directed to the CPF Underground.
    Last edited by archimedes; 12-13-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  10. #10

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Where I live it is a politically charged issue. I canít get a plastic straw in many areas because they have been banned. In other areas you can get one, but only if you ask. We have to purchase bags for items we purchase at stores, when they used to be complimentary, because free bags have been banned. There are many things I canít buy at all, even though they are freely available virtually everywhere else. All because the politicians and the people here focus on the frivolous and ignore things that actually matter and have a real impact on liberty, the economy, and our quality of life.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,204

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    For those truly worried about contamination (and it is a very reasonable concern) , by far the worst risk is the ice.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  12. #12
    Flashaholic boo5ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Quote Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
    Where I live it is a politically charged issue. I canít get a plastic straw in many areas because they have been banned. In other areas you can get one, but only if you ask. We have to purchase bags for items we purchase at stores, when they used to be complimentary, because free bags have been banned. There are many things I canít buy at all, even though they are freely available virtually everywhere else. All because the politicians and the people here focus on the frivolous and ignore things that actually matter and have a real impact on liberty, the economy, and our quality of life.


    Got to be Commifornia.
    "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."- Tennessee Williams

  13. #13

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Yep. Counting down the days to my departure.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    the politics is directed to the CPF Underground.
    Well that sounds interesting. Iíll have to go spelunking.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Quote Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
    Yep. Counting down the days to my departure.
    But you just bought a SPY! You canít leave before sharing pics of it.


    But going back to the original question, I always put on the lid. Mainly because the cups themselves are typically flimsy and insecure to hold with out it. Putting on the lid gives it more structure. But because the lid is on, obviously I have to use the straw. So yes the lid and straw are automatic.

    I will Iíll admit that I prefer to drink straight from the cup though. Drinks just seem to taste better that way.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

  16. #16
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cleveland,Oh
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    I havenít used a fast food lid or straw in a few years.
    i keep a few Ss straws in the glovebox, along with a good Ti spork.
    usually, I have them fill my own cup also.
    Itís not a political issue at all to me, but a question of being wasteful
    or not. Our collective striving for convenience has led us to lose sight of the bigger picture; keeping our environment clean and safe.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

  17. #17

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    But you just bought a SPY! You canít leave before sharing pics of it.


    But going back to the original question, I always put on the lid. Mainly because the cups themselves are typically flimsy and insecure to hold with out it. Putting on the lid gives it more structure. But because the lid is on, obviously I have to use the straw. So yes the lid and straw are automatic.

    I will Iíll admit that I prefer to drink straight from the cup though. Drinks just seem to taste better that way.
    I'm pretty sure they have Internet access in Tennessee. And I hope the wait isnít THAT long!

    I use the top and straw (where available) for the same reasons, unless the establishment in question only offers those revolting paper straws, which impart a nasty flavor to the drink. But hey, weíre saving the world out here, right?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Tennessee. Early welcome to the better side of the country haha
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

  19. #19

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    I love Tennessee. Went to school at Vandy.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    If I am eating there I just use the cup without the lid and straw. I never really thought about it. I've always been doing that. The only time I need a straw for anything when I am dining in is when a drink has ice in it.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    BTW. I never use a straw and lid either, not for any environmental reason I just donít feel like I need a lid and straw on my drink unless Iím driving.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

  22. #22
    Flashaholic* tech25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Near the Big Apple
    Posts
    969

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    Good point, it can be wasteful. The reason that I use a straw and a lid is the tables in tend to be small and usually rocks at the slightest movement. I just donít want anything to spill on me.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    I work around swamps at times. As an erosion and sediment control monitor part of my job is to check out places storm water ends up.

    Millions and millions of cups and plastic bottles litter the place. Yet out of say, 100 cups you see a straw. Lids and straws break down quickly in sunlight. It always boggles my mind how much stuff people just toss out the window instead of putting the stuff in a receptacle.

    I was green long before green was cool. So it causes me to shake my head at some of the things "green" people want to ban. And how much waste many of those same people generate. My tree hugger sister and her family probably generate ten times the waste of most people I know.

    For me, in a restaraunt a straw is for the kids. The Mrs and I collect straws they issue at restaraunts in paper wrappers. You'd be surprised the things you can make out of straws. My wife makes hats, purses and other articles from plastic bags. She makes jewelry from drink cans and tabs. Wind chimes from used glass bottles and flowery door wreaths and wind spinners from plastic bottles.
    Heck we have neighbors bring us leftover stuff with requests for her crafts made by them.

    Nobody has to do it all, but if everybody does a little a whole lot gets done.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-13-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    John 3:16

  24. #24
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,744

    Default Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    I agree that trash in waterways and generally littered about outside is one of the more egregious ways refuse affects us. But even trash properly disposed of has to go somewhere. Giant mountains of trash, landfills all over the place. We have one about 20 minutes from where I live. What an eyesore, and nosesore. All those single use products still have to be manufactured, shipped, used for a few minutes or hours, then disposed of and shipped again to a massive garbage heap somewhere. Iím far from perfect: there are still products and foods I use that come in small containers designed to be individually served or used and tossed. But I try to find bulk alternatives where I can, recycle all I can, use the reusable shopping bags, a metal water bottle instead of plastic bottles, reusuable food storage containers, use rechargeable batteries, etc. to limit the amount of waste I reasonably can without coming off as a wacko. And I donít try to control how other people live, only do what I can to set a good example.

    I really like that line bykfixer, ďNobody has to do it all, but if everybody does a little a whole lot gets done.Ē Some people claim those little changes donít matter, but across a whole nation or world, thatís hundreds of millions of changes and that does matter. 🙂🙂

  25. #25

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    With the advent of the BiC lighter, Americans saw big changes in habits as convenience became more and more prevailant. My mom (rip) used to say "this whole nation is turning into a throw away society".Ö That was likely around, 1975?

    Ok, how about some grocery bag history?
    Seems at one point folks took their own cloth sack to the market to obtain their supply of food goods. We call them groceries now because so many things are prepared in one fashion or another. Fresh milk, eggs, cheese etc. But back then most items were in a raw state or bagged in their own container like sugar. That wasn't very sterile so as things became more industrialized and more people flocked to cities, germs from grocery sacks made lots of people ill. Society insisted on better.

    Enter the paper bag. Oh it was heaven at first. "Please double bag the milk this time grocery boy". Every cool kid in America had customized book covers for their school books made of grocery bag paper. There were all kinds of uses for them. But "save the trees" meant thin little plastic bags replaced the ever popular paper bag. At first it sucked.

    Only 1/3 capacity those little bags tore easily and were a pain to get rid of. Big ball of poofy plastic packed your kitchen trash can where the paper bags were neatly folded and stored for use as something else later. But like self service gas pumps, we got used to plastic bags. Heck in my home they line trash cans, wrap Christmas ornaments upon putting them away, or use as portable luggage.

    Well then we heard "save the fish" and slowly communities rallied against plastic grocery bags, some even banning them in local stores. Many of those folks have gone to using cloth sacks for their organically grown staples and have begun to learn the hard way thatÖÖ
    Cloth bags carry germs so now in those comunities they cry out forÖÖ wait for itÖÖ

    Paper grocery bags. But stores charge a nickel apiece for smaller, thinner paper bags so frustrated consumers are overheard saying "ya know those plastic bags were ok afterall"....


    Shown here is a project Mrs Fixer is making for a friend.
    A change purse made of plastic grocery bags. She calls it "plarn" where she folds the bags into a strip, cuts the strip into smaller segments, unfolds the smaller segments and ties those end to end and creates a ball of plarn. The plarn is croche'd into items such as celphone covers, flashlight holsters, fanypacks, ladies pocket books or as you see to the right, BiC lighter casesÖÖ


    Here's a door wreath made of worn out t-shirt materials.

    We do our part to reduce what goes in trash cans and recycle buckets. Now part of my thinking is that the large, heavy truck drives down my street made of thin asphalt every week all slamming on breaks at each house and wearing out the pavement structure. As the truck gets loaded it gets heavier too. So each week we do a little to preserve the pavement. Also neighbors cluster cans and bins together so the trucks stop less times, workers get more time riding on the back in a summer breeze and less fuel is used from accelarating house to house. We all try to do a little.

    Yard waste is composted into fertilizer, house down spouts water flower beds instead of running to the street and ends up being dumped into streams in large quantities, which in turns scours away stream banks. Things like that mean we still live with modern day conveniences but leave a little less impact on the planet later. While posh neighborhoods have some corparations trucks spraying salt laiden liquids on their super lawns we sprinkle 50/50 mixtures of leaves and grass clippings that mother nature turns into topsoil and actually does better at feeding the roots and providing weedless lawns. Nutrients don't end up in ponds creating algae layers so the fish get bigger for ending up on somebodies dinner plate laterÖÖ

    Yup. A little here, a little there.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-14-2019 at 07:05 AM.
    John 3:16

  26. #26

    Default Re: Fast Food Cup Lids n Straws

    To answer the original question by nbp, no I do not automatically place a lid and straw on a beverage I'm drinking in the restaraunt. Now if I end up leaving with said cup of beverage then I'll stop by the condiment stand and grab them. And also a few napkins to stash in the glove box for use later.

    Most people just blindly go about life doing what they see others doing without any rhyme or reason. In my work for example, when closing a lane of a dual lane road we place warning signs beginning a mile before the work zone. Road work ahead, then right lane closed a head, then be aware of one lane up ahead, then "hey, last warning move over, then a flashing arrow pointing to the left. Ok so a semi knocks over a couple of cones in the taper of cones leaving a big gap. Suddenly you look up and see not one or two but 35 cars all driving down the lane that is closed. Meanwhile nobody is in the lane that is open. The lead car suddenly notices trucks and people are blocking the lane that the signs and arrow said would be closed and panic sets in. Suddenly it's like someone yelled "fire" in a movie theatre. Next thing you know both lanes are blocked due to panic stricken motorists crashing into each other.

    Set back and observe strangers for a few minutes. You'll see the darndest patterns of behavior that proves most have no idea what to do in ordinary life so they blindly take cues from others without even realizing itÖÖlike adding a lid and straw to their beverage at fast food joints.
    John 3:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •