Kaboom!

nbp

Flashaholic
Any additional information or story to go along with the few seconds of video?

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my country (NL) at least a few garden sheds / garages have burnt down when charging an e-bike in there went bad. Not to mention a kitchen that burnt out due to a faulty (ehm... cheapo direct from China / fake) phone charger.

Surely we'll be hearing more of these stories in the years ahead. Equipment like this is rapidly becoming more popular. Meanwhile battery safety may improve somewhat, but that is not a solved problem. Poorly designed chargers will continue to be bought & used. Do the math...

What I'd personally consider more interesting, is cases where the exact cause(s) were determined. A bad cell? A failing protection inside a cell? A charger that doesn't stop when battery is full? An electronic component inside the charger that failed? Which component? Non idiot-proof equipment + improved idiot? :laughing: Some combination of causes?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I'd personally consider more interesting, is cases where the exact cause(s) were determined. A bad cell? A failing protection inside a cell? A charger that doesn't stop when battery is full? An electronic component inside the charger that failed? Which component? Non idiot-proof equipment + improved idiot? :laughing: Some combination of causes?

Yes, but you'll never hear about the real cause. News media is only interested in reporting on the sensation, not the cause.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but you'll never hear about the real cause. News media is only interested in reporting on the sensation, not the cause.

Not to mention, the evidence is usually quite burned up...

Only when there is a systemic problem, like the Samsung Galaxy 7, or when there is a huge news story like the Boeing fires, will you ever hear the root cause. This is in no small part because only in these cases is there enough effort put in to actually determine the root cause. In the case of this particular video, it's unlikely anyone even knows the cause.