The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acebeam K30GTvn

Default Re: Acebeam K30GTvn

My mods made the step down much less noticeable. Its an excellent light isn't it?
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    My mods made the step down much less noticeable. Its an excellent light isn't it?

Yes, it sure is! AB usually builds a solid product and you've taken it to the next level. I'm not sure what the thermal situation was stock but it's perfect now.

Thanks Vinh!

PATRIOT!!! you need to stop commenting on this light! you are performing a verbal arm twisting on me making me want one, shame one you

Vinh, do you add extra copper/heat pads (liquid nitrogen capsule) or anything that makes it handle the heat better than the standard one?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    PATRIOT!!! you need to stop commenting on this light! you are performing a verbal arm twisting on me making me want one, shame one you

Vinh, do you add extra copper/heat pads (liquid nitrogen capsule) or anything that makes it handle the heat better than the standard one?
    I did not. There are plenty of space for thermal cubes but then it would be pricey as hell to stuff the space with it. I was going to thermal epoxy copper over key components but it seems this light doesn't need it with my testings.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I did not. There are plenty of space for thermal cubes but then it would be pricey as hell to stuff the space with it. I was going to thermal epoxy copper over key components but it seems this light doesn't need it with my testings.
    Thanks Vinh, st.......ill try...ing to re...sist..

Vinh, what is a thermal cube?

Quote Originally Posted by SKV89 View Post
    Vinh, what is a thermal cube?
    I was using these for a while. Now I see many large manufactures are using them too. They are great but likely not as good as thermal epoxy copper over.

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Nice thanks for the info. Should work well with the MT07 Mini Copper plate mod that is in production.

Quote Originally Posted by SKV89 View Post
    Nice thanks for the info. Should work well with the MT07 Mini Copper plate mod that is in production.
    Iím down for 2 of those! I hope installation is easy and possible with vinhís mods being taken into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    Hey Glenn7, I actually typed up a nice couple of paragraphs about this light a few nights ago and lost everything. I'll try to capture my thoughts again with a shorter post.

I've spent a good amount of time now with the K30GTvn on several walks and hikes and even got in a 'real' hike on a mountain trail. My comparisons have focused mainly on the D18vn and T27. The K30GTvn has very similar but slightly worse throw than the T27 but more than double the lumen output. The D18vn is obviously a completely different kind of light but it's really impressive for its size and the pop can that I reach for the most when I want a good combination of lumens and throw. Also, I just know the T27 & D18vn really well from using them on 40 acre property at work.

Going back to the T27, the K30GTvn has about a 200% larger hotspot by surface area, although this isn't twice the hotspot diameter. The larger hotspot makes quite the difference when steering the beam around in the dark, looking for things. Its impressive when shining at really dark mountain sides or canyons at distances from 100-300 yards. Whereas the T27 has a perfect hotspot, there is a very slight doughnut effect from the hotspot of the K30GTvn on walls. I don't think most people would notice this and it's definitely not visible on terrains and textures. The beam color is great compared to the T27. A soft creamy white of about 5000K on the lowest levels stepping up to a happy 5500K on the higher levels.

From the standpoint of hand carrying and weight aside, the K30GT is better balanced than the T27, which always seems head heavy. I tend to hold the T27 way forward around the switch and heat fins. With the K30GTvn, I have three fingers around the body still and my index finger and thumb on opposite sides of the switch. Of course, I still have the option of the K30GT's carry handle which I suspect I'll use when the weather warms up. Compared to the T27, the K30GT has a 57mm head instead of 70mm and is 20mm shorter. Regarding belt carry, the differences are less clear. The smaller head of the K30GT seems to help a lot because the light overall is more cylindrical. The shorter length also leaves less length protruding to snag on something. When weight is considered, the T27 has a big advantage at 293 grams vs. 462 grams. There's a hike that I do from time to time called Skull Mesa and sometimes I'll turn it into an overnight trip. The terrain is open and the distances huge, a perfect example of when I'd enjoy a small searchlight. Both the CatV6vn and T27 have been with me up there but I'll likely be leaving the K30GT at home due to the weight.

After all the comparisons to other lights and trying to fit the K30GTvn into some kind of classification, I think I've got it nailed down. If someone asked me to describe this light today, I'd basically just tell them it's a T27 on steroids! The long version would be; a T27 on steroids, with 275% more lumen output, 200% larger hotspot, better color temperature, better switch and better balance for hand carry, plus a carry handle option.

I hope this helps those who are considering this light.
    Last edited by Patriot; 01-02-2020 at 02:48 PM.

HAHA tho it's bigger, we now have the Acebeam K65GT.....
    Last edited by Glenn7; 01-03-2020 at 08:28 PM.

At first I wanted to say the K65GT is what the K30 should have been, but I also wanna say if I'm gonna go that large, I might as well go the K75.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    At first I wanted to say the K65GT is what the K30 should have been, but I also wanna say if I'm gonna go that large, I might as well go the K75.

I kind of feel the same way about that one. A head that's a little under 4" instead of a head that's a little under 5" I'm not tucking either one of them into a pocket, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    I kind of feel the same way about that one. A head that's a little under 4" instead of a head that's a little under 5" I'm not tucking either one of them into a pocket, that's for sure.
    I beg to differ. Tn42vn size goes out with me all the time. K75vn size barely ever gets picked. I would however like a size even smaller than TN42....
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Yes it's hard to get that sweet spot between size/run time/throw/heat management - pick up the comming soon Astrolux MF05 SBT90.2 and your Tn42 is pocket sized.

I beg to differ. Tn42vn size goes out with me all the time. K75vn size barely ever gets picked. I would however like a size even smaller than TN42....

Yeah, I agree that the TN42vn is usable and it's taken many car rides with me. I just don't think it's pocketable... at least not in my pockets. Whenever I think of something smaller than the TN42vn, I think of the MK35vn. It seems like it would be more inviting to hand carry than the TN42.

Yeah I'm also in the 'if it's not jacket pocketable' then all large lights are relatively the same. I probably wouldn't feel much difference between K75 and TN42 for example. K75 is actually rather light for what it is. I'm sure hand size has a lot to do with it as well. I know my hands are rather large. MF05 however seems like something you need straps for.

Since the K30GTvn came I have not touch any other reflector thrower...Acebeam nailed it!
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Yeah I'm also in the 'if it's not jacket pocketable' then all large lights are relatively the same. I probably wouldn't feel much difference between K75 and TN42 for example. K75 is actually rather light for what it is. I'm sure hand size has a lot to do with it as well. I know my hands are rather large. MF05 however seems like something you need straps for.

Even though I still like some of the larger format lights and respect what they can do, I almost never gravitate to them or appreciate them as much as small/medium format lights. It's always enjoyable for me to go for a walk and have light in each jacket pocket and one on the hip. I don't need three lights of course but as an enthusiast who likes to compare different platforms, I learn a lot and have a bunch of fun every time I go out.

At one time I was forced to use larger lights. If I wanted 5000L and 300+kcd throw, I had to carry a 3-4lb HID. On some more memorable hikes, I backpacked a Polarion Abyss with spare battery, to Weaver's Needle and back. Another time I packed a PH50 and spare battery to New River Mesa, from Cave Creek, along with water and other gear. It was a big sacrifice, a labor of light-love to pack the weight over distance and elevation, for a few hours of outstanding output. Now, lights like the K30GTvn fit into a hoodie pocket, have similar temporary performance and have many brightness levels, allowing me to use only what I need. Combine it with a light like the W30vn and a good headlamp and it feels like there's nothing outside of my lighting spectrum.

The D18vn has kind of been my favorite, high-output pocket searchlight for hiking and exploring at night and it's probably still my favorite around the neighborhood and urban areas. When I get out to the desert and rural areas though, I've started to transition to the K30GTvn. I can run it at lower levels, keeping the light cooler, while still having much more throw at those lower levels. On the highest level its got 235% more throw. Even though the K30GTvn is about 50mm longer than the D18vn, it has a 2mm smaller battery tube diameter, a 1mm smaller head diameter, and is 30 grams lighter than the D18vn. It's pretty crazy what the K30GTvn can do considering its size.

Since the K30GTvn came I have not touch any other reflector thrower...Acebeam nailed it!

That's great, Vinh! The K30GTvn seems to combine many of my favorite lights into one really capable light. Other than comparing it to other reflector lights like the T27, CATV6vn, and TN42vn, it's been the only reflector thrower that I've been using, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    That's great, Vinh! The K30GTvn seems to combine many of my favorite lights into one really capable light. Other than comparing it to other reflector lights like the T27, CATV6vn, and TN42vn, it's been the only reflector thrower that I've been using, also.
    LOL Just last night I was sitting there and I was thinking this light is perfect! If anything eles the only gap left is a size between this and the TN42. THen this morning I saw this:
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Might just be the right size up!

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Well, that sure looks pretty cool. Bigger than the MK35 and smaller than the TN42. I'm guessing the MK35II will be on your list of lights to get.

I seen the MK35 ll and was really looking forward to buying it but now that I seen its head size is bigger than the TN42 Iím going to pass on it. Thatís the reason why I sold the TN42 because it was just to big for me. Now it is between the K30 GT or the K65 GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Zunkted View Post
    I seen the MK35 ll and was really looking forward to buying it but now that I seen its head size is bigger than the TN42 Iím going to pass on it. Thatís the reason why I sold the TN42 because it was just to big for me. Now it is between the K30 GT or the K65 GT.
    That's going to be a tough choice!

After all of these years, I've been continuously hopeful for the day that we'd see "smaller" LED lights matching the performance of hand held HIDs from 10 years ago. Lights like the K65GT are basically throwing as far or farther and as bright or brighter, albeit for a much shorter runtime at these levels. Given the 592gram mass of the K65 and generous heat fins, I suspect this light will be able to run on high continuously @ 3000L and either 318kcd or 360kcd (Acebeam's numbers are obviously at odds between eco and power modes at 3000L). That basically replicates a really good 35W HID, which is one of the reasons that the K65GT appeals to me. Of course, I say this without even considering what kind of magic Vinh will perform on the K65GTvn! I suppose once that happens I'll really want one.

The main reason for going with the K30GTvn would be portability. There's such a huge difference between how a 56mm head handles compared to how a 90mm head handles. Part of me wonders, now that I've been spoiled my relatively small lights, if I'd even put a light like the K65GT in a backpack again, instead of just taking the K30GTvn. Hard to for me to say, but I'd have to really appreciate the extra throw. haha.

I had the CATV6vn out last night and thought it would be a good size reference. The V6 has a 1mm larger head than the K30GTvn.

Last edited by Patriot; 01-16-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "vn" designate? I've seen this appended to a number of lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipper99 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what does "vn" designate? I've seen this appended to a number of lights.
    Any light that has been modified by Vinhnguyen54 (SkyLumen) will have the vn designation appended to the name of the light. It has nothing to do with the actual company that produced the light, but rather a designation assigned by the Vinh.

It's a good thing.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    Any light that has been modified by Vinhnguyen54 (SkyLumen) will have the vn designation appended to the name of the light. It has nothing to do with the actual company that produced the light, but rather a designation assigned by the Vinh.

It's a good thing.
    ah, thank you.

Now, I get it...Vinh mods the lights and sells them. My Acebeam k30gt arrives tomorrow...I might have to return it and buy one of Vinh's.
    Last edited by Pipper99; 01-17-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast