Do you hate it when the batteries rattle?

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
I sure do. If I have a light with a loose-fitting battery I'll wrap paper around the battery until it's silent.

My NiteCores though, they have tough enough springs that I haven't needed to.

Burgess

Flashaholic
What I hate more than Rattles,

is when I buy a dozen protected Li-Ion cells,
and 3 or 4 of 'em simply WON'T FIT
into one or more of my flashlights !
< sigh >

So then I've gotta' MARK then somehow,
and take Great Care to AVOID an awkward situation !

:wtf:
_

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
If batteries rattle I'll wrap some aluminum foil around them for a more snug fit.

scout24

Flashaholic
Kamagong- I truly hope you're kidding about the aluminum foil... If you're serious, you've been blessed so far in not having a shorting issue result in a runaway cell... Not second guessing what may work for you, just HOLY COW you've been lucky...

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I hate the rattling - but (like bykfixer) not quite as much as potential movement involving electrical connections not really optimized for that. That often doesn't end well. I've never dealt with it for long though, as I've always quickly applied 1/2/3 turns / wraps of 1" masking tape to the cells I use in such lights. I don't consider masking tape good for many things besides masking, but this is one of them. Nice and non-conductive too.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Kamagong- I truly hope you're kidding about the aluminum foil... If you're serious, you've been blessed so far in not having a shorting issue result in a runaway cell... Not second guessing what may work for you, just HOLY COW you've been lucky...

Kamagong, did you see this? Really important info.

Bill

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Delrin Battery Sleeves...
for CR123'a in an 18650 tube or AA's in a CR123 tube.

I usually have not experienced 18650 tubes too large for 18650 batteries to rattle. It's usually the opposite. The newer18650 cells don't fit the older 18650 tubes.

Last edited:

kamagong

Newly Enlightened

Kamagong, did you see this? Really important info.

Bill

I had no idea. Can you explain exactly what happens and why this is so dangerous? Thanks.

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
I had no idea. Can you explain exactly what happens and why this is so dangerous? Thanks.

Using aluminum foil in the battery tube creates the risk of short-circuit. With lithium batteries this can lead to extremely hot fires, explosions and release of toxic gases that can cause severe permanent health problems.

For your own safety, ditch the aluminum and use paper to keep your batteries secured.

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
I spent ten minutes last night doing just that.

I never knew that it increased the risk of short circuits.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I actually like when they rattle. I don't know what it is. But I do like it.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never knew that it increased the risk of short circuits.
Aluminium is a metal! :p And thus alu foil too... It's like putting loose batteries together with keys in your pocket.

Yeah, I hate the rattling - but (like bykfixer) not quite as much as potential movement involving electrical connections not really optimized for that. That often doesn't end well.
+1. I use rubber sheet cut from an old bicycle inner tube. Rolled 2 layers thick to fit an 18650 in a 21700 / 3x AAA sized tube. Another piece to fit a 16340 in 18350 tube without rattling. Small rubber bands, O-rings or a correctly sized piece of PVC pipe would work too. Who needs ready-made adapter from eBay when a piece of junk does the job? :D

Tesla

Enlightened
That's quite a bit of shimming @RetroTechie. I have one 2c light that I had to wrap one layer of paper around the batteries for a perfect non-rattle fit, but I wouldn't want to deal with a shim that was rubber. Does it stay in place or do you have to remove it each time you change batteries?