Maui Vacation

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I've been on Maui now for 3 weeks and am having a great time at night playing with flashlights as well as daytime activities out and in the water. I have been in communication with a few CPF friends on my adventures and I am sensitive to the inappropriateness of "sharing" home movies and pictures with others who really couldn't give a poop! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif However, quite a few of you in both E-mails and PM's have asked how it's going as well as to when I will be back to my modding routine. I return to "normal routine" the first of April. Until then, I don't really know what materials I will have to work with or how my modding time will play out. There are more PR-T heads at the anodizers and some other parts on order and in design. I am most anxious to nail down a good functional design and components for an E series 2 stage retro-fit and a proto I have been using over here is holding up well. Aside from getting some goofy flashlight shots for PK's web site, I have had some incredible experiences with some whales this year and for a cure to insomnia, you can see some of this HERE .

Man, with a slow dial-up connection, trying to keep up with CPF is a joke! Having been spoiled by DSL, I don't see how some of you do it!

Any way you slice it, this thread is presumptuous I know, but if it saves one person from the trouble of contacting me with questions or wants that I can't assist on, perhaps it's served its purpose.

Thanks,
Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tips? It depends on your interests. Certainly sun screen is a must! Some of the popular things here are:

Watching the sunrise from atop Haleakala (sp)
A visit to Hana and especially the seven sacred pools
A visit to Front Street, Lahaina
submarine ride (out of Lahaina)
Maui Ocean Center
Luau
Whale watching if you get here early in April (season is winding down)
Snorkle-Sail on the Kapalua Kai (departs from beach at Kanapali (sp))
Golf
Surfing (lessons)
WindSurfing (lessons)
Scuba (lessons)
McNair Beach (little beach - bathing suit optional? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )
Para-Sailing or Jet Skis (if whale season is over)
Relax.......

Don't know if this helps

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Don,

Maui seems a haven of peace and beauty for eyes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Damage that it is really too much far for me, otherwise I shall be well to visit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It is very nice to you to share us these miracles, whether it is your flashlights mod's either Maui's landscape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
As I ask you some weeks ago, I shall like to have L1 mod's with PR917 for my collection. You say that you return on April 1-st, is it an April fool? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Because I go to holidays from 3 till 10 April and I would have no means to connect me to CPF forum or to send emails, I want to know if you plan to put in sales some of this flashlights, can you wait for my return /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Or then, can you put aside one of it for me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry to take out of your dreams, but hard reality is that we look forward to your return /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Monolith

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Tips? It depends on your interests. Certainly sun screen is a must! Some of the popular things here are:

Watching the sunrise from atop Haleakala (sp)
A visit to Hana and especially the seven sacred pools
A visit to Front Street, Lahaina
submarine ride (out of Lahaina)
Maui Ocean Center
Luau
Whale watching if you get here early in April (season is winding down)
Snorkle-Sail on the Kapalua Kai (departs from beach at Kanapali (sp))
Golf
Surfing (lessons)
WindSurfing (lessons)
Scuba (lessons)
McNair Beach (little beach - bathing suit optional? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )
Para-Sailing or Jet Skis (if whale season is over)
Relax.......

Don't know if this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it helps. I missed a couple of those suggestions. Here's a few tips I've been given:

1) Leave nothing in the car's trunk or glovebox. Rental car windows are easily smashed.
2) The Maui Costco has the same pricing as CONUS stores - buy your cheap swim fins, mask and snorkels here (along with other supplies).
3) Sunscreen - don't forget back of hands and top of feet...
4) Only drive to Hana in one day, never to top of volcano and hana in one day.
5) April is still part of the rainy season....

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Don,

Being in the same element up close to those wild, warm-blooded creatures must be an extraordinary experience, even more exciting than flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif Sorry, but it's true.
BTW, have you ever considered a WhaleLight?

Brightnorm

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Monolith,

I have accumulated over a year on Maui mow, all vacation and I have not had any theft or break in trouble. I suppose having a surfboarde inside the rental or a wave ski on top makes me appear a different type of target but still no problems. I don't know where you will be staying but you might want to hit the Costco when you leave the airport as it's on the way and very close.

Brightnorm, I think a waterproof Beast is called for with the whales!

OZ

Newly Enlightened
Hey Monolith,

PM me and I might be able to tell you of some spots not known to tourists. Us locals like to keep a few areas from the tourist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (LOL) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Terry

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course the local LEOs may have passed the word that you are no dumb haole tourist, but a brother Hawaiin LEO from Honolulu, so 'don't EVEN think about it!' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That grapevine may be more efficient thank you know.

I used to live on Maui, though out of a tent and backpack.

I spent alot of time living at Seven Sacred Pools, though upslope and in the woods. Pay attention to the rangers, and if you go upslope and see what is a cliff to your left (before you reach the trees) and you see a little water coming over it, don't cross the stream, cause you won't be able to cross back over. If someone warns you not to cross, don't ask if they are a ranger and ignore them when they say 'no'. The ones who ignored my warning ended up paying the bill for their rescue. The rangers, who I knew, told me to say 'yes' after that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seven Sacred Pools area is the only part of Haleakala National Park that comes all the way down to the ocean. Part of it is an Archeological Site.

If you drive the Hana Highway, remember that there are a bunch of hairpin curves, and the 2 lane road, is only 1 1/2 lanes wide (delivery truck + full size car = big trouble when going in opposite directions).

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the liberty of having your garage moved to the front of my house while you are on vacation. I hope to have it back before you get back.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wayne,

While the garage is all packed up, how about sending it over to Maui instead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cryptoguru,

For the last year and a half, I have been self employed; as what, I'm not really sure. Gizmologist? I have been designing, making and selling various parts. Much to do with LED's as well as stainless steel hardware. I work seven days a week with long hours, my boss is an idiot and the pay is low. However, I have never enjoyed myself as much! Prior to that, I was in marine hardware and parts supply and repair; emphasis on boatyard supply and sailboat gear.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Hey Don,
If you are a sailor man, do you like knots ?
If your boss is an idiot and pay low, choose another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Do you like this knots ?
Knots.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hey Pascal,

I've tried my hand at a few knots and of course use a bowline all the time! Nice display there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Which is the knot that is used to join two pieces of different diameter?

Brightnorm

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
The knot of agui (in French !) is constituted with two bowlines and serves for gathering two ropes if they are of different thicknesses. It is very solid and comes loose easily.

Personaly I use this knot, but I don't know its english name /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In French Noeud d'écoute double.

ecoute.jpg

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Don! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif These are delightful.

Pascal, those knots are terrific! I'll bet you could make some really cool lanyards and "pulls" for lights and pocket knives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I like that white cord.

Britt

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
How many meters do you want Britt ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif