whats your profession and whats your light for it?

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
title explains it, what do you do for a living and how do you use your lights for it? what light/lights do you use ?

i mean we do have to gratify our obnoxious spending on flashlights to our spouses somehow sometimes dont we? lol .

im a diesel mechanic by trade, wasnt always but am currently, only use my actual flashlights some part of the time, either malkoff mdc 1aa, edcl1t, or my tactition but usually its a dewault light supplied by work mainly bc its already full of grease and i dont have to get my lights filthy.

i baby my lights by no means but getting them full of grease is just another level lol. :thanks:

pilo7448

Enlightened
Funny subject for because I'm a route slot technician in Las Vegas and I use my light on almost every call I go to (bars, convenience stores mostly) and my work light is my cheapest light (Singfire sf348) at first I didn't want to lose or damage my nice lights but after beating this light to death for 6 months it's still going strong. Not to mention it takes regular triple A's that are provided by my work.. I also utilize a head lamp for lengthier jobs.
2eef82a7dee74014803e1d922975914e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently employed as a production maintenance technician although I went to school for aircraft maintenance and have done quite a bit of ag and heavy equipment maintenance prior to my current job.

For the last two and half years my EDC has been the same, a Fenix LD12 2017 in my front right pocket and a Olight H1 (NW) in my right leg pocket. I use both of these daily doing inspections and repairs. They have both taken some serious abuse but they shrug it right off and keep on going. I would say the H1 by far gets more use than the LD12 because it is so small and handy it takes no time to slip on my head and be hands free.

KScWFSn.jpg

Last edited:

The_Big_Ohh

Newly Enlightened
I'm a dock worker and we use led lights and uv lights daily to inspect loads for pest/infestations inside trailer and shipping containers.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aircraft maintenance engineer, running one man show for multiple airlines and several aircrafts.
That being said, i don't (can't) go out without headlamp SC604 HI CRI, small flooder like Tana triples or Mcbrat Deuce and some thrower like Fivemega FM1794.
Yes, incans serves me better than LED's.
Maybe because i love'em...? [emoji3166]
Each rotation i try to use other combo but headlamp is the same every shift.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I don't use flashlights often for my actually profession (although I always carry an E1E incan at work), but I use them for Search and Rescue which I do on the side. For that, I always have two Olight H1N headlamps and a Surefire G2X in my bag.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a cushy job in a cubicle designing software and diagnosing issues in code. The most important use I have at work for my lights is finding something that's fallen under a desk or conference table.

Clearly, reliability is key and that's why my EDC light rotates between my 10-year-old HDS clicky, my new Zebralight SC53c, or any of my P60 hosts with Malkoff drop-ins.

Only the best will do when a co-worker loses an earring-back...

--flatline

ven

Flashaholic
Engineer, have a few torches i rotate. Sometimes bring some from home to use.
Headlamps used daily, always on hard hat. Of course i have back ups. Fav lamp is the H2r neutral white, the xhp50 is amazing in this light. I have a spare just in case!. Also a zebra and an H03 NW.
JDrLIonl.jpg

zhzUIZDl.jpg

z2
8wMpLU7l.jpg

G2
ilHHGQkl.jpg

6P
uywPGh9l.jpg

There are a few more dotted about, nitecore lantern, smaller 14500 types with 219c 4k inside.

Vemice

Enlightened
Retired now so don't use high power stuff much. These two are what takes care of most things.
Peak always in the pocket. The Mule lights a room, garage or pathway nicely.
Sapphire to help with dark reading or night trips.
Several others for higher output needs.
Z5Q8u6kl.jpg

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I make beer for a living and use my lights to check vats for cleanliness, fluid levels, repairs, and on and on.
These two are my current users, Streamlight 1L 1AA and a G2 with a direct drive 5000k XP-L.
With my known love affair with HDS and Malkoff, the Streamlight came as a pleasant surprise, nice and solid, simple and bright. With a sensible CCT emitter in it, it would see some use outside of the Brewery, but 6000k is great for showing up yeast traces on stainless steel.

worklights.jpg

P

ven

Flashaholic
mmmmm just when i thought my flashlight wants and needs had ended, up bobs P with a cute streamlight:devil:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neighborhood community meeting hall operator, Acebeam X45vn 25,000 lumens, 775 meters throw. We have night meetings, and I use the light for routine after meeting tasks. I occasionally flash my other lights, too.

Many, many people have seen my various high performance lights during the past five years, and have expressed amazement about such lights, and have heard me answer questions and give brief discourses about high performance lights, but very few actually have been motivated to get into the hobby.

Of a few thousand different people who have said "Wow! What kind of flashlight is that?", only very few people, that I know of, have gotten into the hobby.

I am so grateful I have. It all started with having to do outside, nighttime routine tasks on the property.

Polliwog

Newly Enlightened
I work as a millwright, where I go to different agricultural business and make repairs. In the past I have always used a Mini Maglight, but with the inconsistency it made me explore other options. Not knowing what to look for in a brand, I did some research and discovered Streamlight. Currently I carry a Streamlight 1l 1aa for work, which is a step up from my mini Maglight. When I'm not at work I carry a Streamlight protac 1aaa. I now have caught the flashlight bug, and I can't wait to see what else is out there.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a professional flashlight collector and have no earthly reason for having these lights, save for a blackout. I suppose my hobby as a courier calls upon their use in the pre-dawn hours, when i leave packages for all the good little boys & girls bustin their a$$e$ making a weekly pittance for commuting to their places of business and getting har assed by customers...but I digress

gravelrash

Enlightened
I work in IT and frequently find myself creeping around in data centers with hard overhead fluorescent lighting. When I need to poke around a server rack I use a LitraTorch 2.0. It is high CRI so my old eyes can tell the difference between blue and green cables, and has a strong magnet on the back so I can stick it on the rack frame and work hands-free. My HDS Clicky 120 high CRI is for everything else, but an HDS SS40 rotary is trying to take over (so far unsuccessfully).

Fun thread; keep 'em coming.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Cool thread.

I work around roadway construction and maintenance. In sunlight we use mirrors or other shiney objects to focus the sunlight into deep holes and pipes or at times into sink holes. It aint always sunny, so for the initial 25 years we'd use a gigantic incan light. Now early on I learned a few tricks on how to locate things with divining rods, rotating magnets, mirrors and other tools I carry with to this day. Modern tech means I have no idea where most of them are stashed in my work truck.

Flashlights these days can practically mimic the sunshine without the mirror focusing into cracks, crevices, holes and pipes. My Elzetta Bones for example can light up a dark 50 foot deep manhole in the high contrast of a bright sunny day. On cloudy days it works even better. When I first discovered the virtues of 250+ lumens from a flashlight I used zoomies to tailor the beam like it needed to be. But then I joined CPF.

At first a Coast HP7 got most of the use, but wanting pocket friendly I used a Coast HP1 for a while. With an eneloop pro the runtime and dimming was respectable. And way brighter than an incan minimag. Then I discovered former SureFire engineer PK's light called the PR-1. That was in 2016 and it's still my daily carry. These days I spread the beam with a Deere Park water bottle cap and when it needs to throw, just remove the cap. An RCR makes it a wee bit brighter too.

So over time folks I work with know if they need to see in a crack or crevice, a hole or a pipe they look at me and say "can ya help a brutha out?"…… and I oblige. I have extra PR-1's at home and other lights in my truck if the worst thing happens. Now for deep holes I will loan out my Bones as long as the borrower understands they are required to slip the wrist strap over their hand. Usually by then I've just lit the dam hole for them……

Last edited:

mmalive12

Newly Enlightened
I am a Mechanical Structural Interface Design Engineer AND Electrical Engineer. Dual Engineering. I do not use lights in my profession. I do collect high lumen and specialized lights. Imalent DX80, BLF GT, Sofirn SP70, Nitecore, Fenix, Wowtac just to name a few. My flashlight reviews are based on primarily on build materials, build quality, engineering design, and other important factors. Not just from standpoint of EDC, Tactical.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a plumber and I work at a large campus doing maintenance work and use my flashlights several times a day. For the last year or so, I've carried a first gen SF 6PX Pro on my belt and I keep a ten yr old Quark 123 with a special edition warm LED for backup which has performed flawlessly...I also carry an Olight I3OS in case someone wants to borrow a light, so I don't wind up losing one of the others. I carried a ROV "Highbeam 3W" 2AA for about 12 years...it was a damn good light, but issues with the tailcap caused it to become unreliable, so I switched to the 6PX. I'll have to take some pics of them and post them when I get a chance.

ven

Flashaholic
Had a look through some work and light pics. Here are a random few pics and various lights in use at work.
H2r which is always on my head!
7aY2Ky8l.jpg

Inside a small 4t silo
NTqIj8Wl.jpg

Top of a 40t silo
1cLpMlBl.jpg

Compressor
6H66VBNl.jpg

Eqf7t1bl.jpg

Z2 next to the SCADA system
Gx4zaNbl.jpg

1I4sWjMl.jpg

RN5Jo6Ul.jpg

6p on a robot head
WxHNXl6l.jpg

vp5bLHQl.jpg

0wAtdePl.jpg

Inspecting the redler conveyor, all those flights i will be replacing over xmas. Literally thousands of the little *beeps* The conveyor length is around 70m, doubled as it runs along the base and comes back on top. You can just make out the ones bellow than transfer tea from the silos, to 4t line bins which then feed machines. These conveyors are in the roof.
BLh9FPxl.jpg

Looking up pic of silos, 7x 40 ton and 1 smaller
3TgPen0l.jpg

Section of roof void
hEAROPUl.jpg

Even a zebra gets some use
dohjxkIl.jpg

ZfRuRqPl.jpg

XuVpY32l.jpg

EhqSWyal.jpg

Malkoff
MqAPyaEl.jpg