LED 9006/HB4 drop-ins

HSS

Newly Enlightened
"LED bulbs" are not effective, safe, or legal -- no matter what brand name is on them or what claims are made for them. The optical incompatibility is fundamental. Same goes for "HID kits"; see here.

There is not a single best-for-everything 9006. If you'll please state the application (what vehicle, which lamps) you'll be able to get dependable advice.

Hi Virgil -

I have a 2005 Honda Accord Sedan EX-V6. I bought it in 2011 and for the past several years I have been using the 9012 HIR bulbs in my 9006 low beam housing but they were never very impressive. Additionally the last set of 9012 bulbs I bought lasted only a year and half and now one of them is out.

Yes in all transparency I had read through bulbfacts.com and all his recommendation before finding your thread on here stating that all his site tells you is what "not to buy".

Is it still true in Dec 2019 that there are no good LED drop in replacements for the 9006 that are safe and reliable for my existing reflector housing?

I know that you liked that russian youtube channel TestLab but unfortunately I didn't have the patience to try to decifer any useful info from a foreign language based on garbage youtube autotranslate.

Are there any LED replacements that you would actually recommend?

If not what bulb do you recommend for this car?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it still true in Dec 2019 that there are no good LED drop in replacements for the 9006 that are safe and reliable for my existing reflector housing?
Yes.

Are there any LED replacements that you would actually recommend?
No. (See just above)

The Vosla HIR2 +120. Ensure the lenses are still factory-new (which may mean purchasing new *factory* headlamps), and that they are aimed correctly. Ensure you're getting sufficient voltage.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hi Virgil

Hi. Posting on this forum is public; anyone signed in can comment.

I have a 2005 Honda Accord Sedan EX-V6.

We had an '04 EX-V6 until a couple of years ago, so I am pretty familiar with those headlamps, which is what makes little cartoon question marks appear above my head when you write this:

I have been using the 9012 HIR bulbs in my 9006 low beam housing but they were never very impressive.

How do you mean? What did you find "unimpressive" about them? Which HIR2s did you try? And are your headlamps genuine Honda assemblies in excellent condition with no lens fog/haze/yellowing/crazing? I used the HIR2s and they worked very well.

Additionally the last set of 9012 bulbs I bought lasted only a year and half and now one of them is out.

Longer life *OR* better seeing. You pretty much always buy one at the cost of the other.

Yes, that is still true now and for the foreseeable future. Also, since your wording hints at followup questions: the genuine Honda headlamps (made by Stanley) are, by far, the best ones you can possibly install on that car; all of the aftermarket items are a significant downgrade. And "LED bulbs" don't work effectively, safely, or legally in halogen projectors, either.

The newest Vosla HIR2 +120 for the low beams, and the Toshiba HIR1 for the high beam, in Honda headlamps that are carefully and correctly aimed with an optical aiming machine.