We need the Fenix HM65R SUPERAPTOR!

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just came across this on BLF when reading a review about the HM65R. This SUPERRAPTOR version, available only in Finland, has constant current regulation, daylight LEDS, and a bit different mode spacing. The main thing I'm interested in is the constant current regulation, I much prefer this over a continuously decreasing output. You guys at Fenix Store think we might see this version in the USA?

SSANDERS

Newly Enlightened
I just came across this on BLF when reading a review about the HM65R. This SUPERRAPTOR version, available only in Finland, has constant current regulation, daylight LEDS, and a bit different mode spacing. The main thing I'm interested in is the constant current regulation, I much prefer this over a continuously decreasing output. You guys at Fenix Store think we might see this version in the USA?

Man, I want that.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got one from Finland on Black Friday. Happened to be out of stock so it was shipped only this week.
Expect to get it on Monday. Will let you know how it performs!

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got one from Finland on Black Friday. Happened to be out of stock so it was shipped only this week.
Expect to get it on Monday. Will let you know how it performs!

Sounds good! Looks like such a better option that the USA version. My only concern would be if I had to have it warrantied it would have to go back to Finland as the S/N would not correspond to a US dealer.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a valid concern - It's always better to buy "in-country" if possible: much easier and cheaper to sort out problems. That's why I hardly ever bought a flashlight outside of the EU.

I actually buy most of my Fenix lights from Germany but the HM65R Superraptor seems to be a special edition for the Finnish market only, at least for now - the only way to get it was from a retailer in Finland.

NPL

Enlightened
Why does Fenix even make the regular model? Superraptor should be the only one they ever made. I noticed some of their other headlamps recently released are not regulated and step down for no reason!

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently the headlamps are regulated but not as they used to be: quick or multiple stepdowns and gradual decrease in light output.

I think the war of lumen claims has spread over to runtimes so now manufacturers implement stepdowns to increase runtime stats for marketing purposes.
After all many uninformed buyers will check lumens and runtime decide what to buy based on that!

Got the Superraptor yesterday and will test it on trails tonight.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is sad Fenix has started doing this and it has been noted on a few of their other models as well. I hope they will go back to their old ways of giving legit, constant current regulation with as few of step downs as needed.

ven

Flashaholic
Niiiice, very tempting, can import for not much over £70 in the UK. The flood 130/140 ish lumen level sounds perfect, even the 400lm would be fine. Like the design, maybe I am due a new lamp in 2020. This could possibly be my 1st light purchase.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used it tonight for 90 minutes trail run: it's a great little light for sure!
In some ways it's better than the HL55 but in others the HL55, in my opinion, still has a better design.

Here is my initial impressions:

Pros
- Light: even 15g lighter than the HL55 with a 3500 battery.
- Compact: it is very small.
- Headband: top quality, it keeps the headlamp firmly in place with zero bounce. Way better than the older gray Fenix headband or the newer Fenix blue one.
- The dual light design offer great flexibility and you can get different beam profiles - flood, throw, or different combinations of both.
- When the LEDs are lit up together they create a single smooth beam.
- Battery indicator is nice to have.
- Charging USB Type-C capability is also a nice feature.

Cons
- Using both floodlight and the spotlight together drains the battery quickly. I used both LEDs at different levels but only for a short time at 400 (flood) and 600 (spot) together and the battery after 90 minutes was almost completely drained.
- While with the HL55 I have a good idea of the runtime I can get out of a Fenix 3500 battery at a given level, it is hard to tell runtimes with the HM65R when using both beams.
- The HL55 has incredibly well balanced beam. With the HM65R you can customize it but when running I find the flood alone is too floody and the spot doesn't have enough spill to see where you are stepping if going at a faster pace, especially if on technical terrain. That means you have to use both beams at mid or even high levels which results in much shorter runtimes. When hiking at a normal pace or jogging on easy terrain, lower levels or even just using only the floodlight or the only spotlight worked well enough for me. For running though, the HL55 beam profile seems to be more versatile, at least for now.
- The dual button works very well. I used it with slightly insulated leather gloves and could switch it on and off or cycle through levels without any problem. That being said, the HL55 single large button is fool-proof and definitely easier to use: I have been used it even when badly sleep-deprived and wearing thick winter gloves. The HM65R buttons are obviously not as easy to use.
- It doesn't tilt 180° like the HL55.

The first impression is definitely positive. The Superraptor is a great headlamp offering considerable flexibility in achieving different beam profiles. Depending on what you plan to use it for, it may turn out not to be necessarily the best choice out there.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate the feed back. Sounds like it would make a good headlamp for the general tasks I use a headlamp for such as making repairs, moving items at night, etc but the runtimes are still iffy to me.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used it for a dozen hours on trails now. The spotlight on level III (400 lumens) alone actually yields a pretty good beam that is good for both walking and running. I have been able to squeeze about 3 hours out of the spotlight constantly on 400 or 5 hours with the spotlight on a mix of 130 and mainly 400 lumens.

For doing close-up tasks the floodlight works very well. This headlamp is growing on me.

I don't think runtimes are bad if you use either the spotlight or the floodlight. They will drop quickly when using both the spotlight or the floodlight at the same time.

NPL

Enlightened
Can anybody who owns the hm65r confirm if the mcpcb/lens of the led can be easily accessed? Wondering what is hiding underneath and if it's easy to do an LED swap.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used it for a dozen hours on trails now. The spotlight on level III (400 lumens) alone actually yields a pretty good beam that is good for both walking and running. I have been able to squeeze about 3 hours out of the spotlight constantly on 400 or 5 hours with the spotlight on a mix of 130 and mainly 400 lumens.

For doing close-up tasks the floodlight works very well. This headlamp is growing on me.

I don't think runtimes are bad if you use either the spotlight or the floodlight. They will drop quickly when using both the spotlight or the floodlight at the same time.

This is good news! It'll be a while before I buy an 18650 headlmap as my H1 Nova does plenty good enough but I'm between the HM65R and a Zebralight. Really like the dual beam feature of the HM65R.