Looking for a warm white flashlight

paikeam

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone !
{sorry for my poor english}

Firstly I read this forum for quite a few time now and I found it very interesting and usefull. But now I need your help for a quite specific flashlight.
Actually I use an Olight Seeker 2 as EDC and it works very well, lot of output, great autonomy, solid and handy.
So it seems to be perfect. But there is one thing I'm really bored now with it and that's the temperature color, this is extremely cool white.

I remember that olds incandescent lights were a lot warmer and very pleasant in this fact for eyes.
I know now with LED's we can do the same temperature but I haven't find one in a correct price.

The only flashlights I've fund are : Olight S1R baton2 winter edition (3000K) but 112€ for such a small autonomy... and not a standard battery.
Or the Maglite's Spectrum line where there is 4 models in warm white (solitaire(44€) 32lm/38m, 2AAA(50€) 83lm/83m, 2AA(70€) ??/?? and XL50(90€) 140lm/186m).

I've seen in this thread : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?442436-New-Maglite-Spectrum-Series-in-warm-white-and-colored-LEDS/page4
that the 2AAA and solitaire's are quite good in color, but is it enough output for walking outdoor ?
All the time I use my Seeker 2 only in the medium mode (300 lumens, 68m throw).

I think I could deal with a bit less of lumens, but I would like to have at least the same throw capacity.

So I need a flashlight in warm white which can do around 68m of throw during at least 1 hours, with standard rechargeable batteries or standard batteries that can be replaced by rechargeable one's (like the Maglites), maximum of 15cm long and 200grams weight.
Does this light exist ?

PS : I'm in france and yes, here prices of Maglites flashlights are ... exclusive style ! ^^

Flashafriendly,
Paikeam.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know if it would be more cost effective to have someone modify your light for you. There are many people on the forums that could switch the LED in your light to one of your choosing. Skylumen.com can make anything you want and does excellent work! You could contact him and check the price of shipping. There may be some modders near you as well. Good luck!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and welcome.

If you didn't require standard batteries, I'd suggest the Folomov Pen L1, which has a very warm, 98 CRI LED. I've had one for about 6 weeks and like it quite a lot. It uses a 10900 rechargeable and won't use standard batteries.

paikeam

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your answers !

The Folomov looks very good but the battery type... not standard and totally impossible to found here in france, even on nkon.nl website.

For now I've seen on banggood a Convoy S2+ (work with 18650 battery) with an XML LED at 2700K ! That looks exactly what I'm looking for. Is it a good brand ?
Does anyone here having any Convoy flashlights and can tell me more about ? Is it ok in rain ? Resistance ? Autonomy ?

Thanks again for your help !

EDIT : I'm sorry I was wrong, actually the Convoy S2+ is with a XML2 T4-7A 3000-3200K.

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I don't own any convoy lights, but they do seem decent enough that I've considered them. The reason I'm writing a response is to give you fair warning/heads up. XMLs/ XML2s in my experience, have some of if not the worst issues with tint shift between hotspot and flood. You get two distinctly different colors in one beam. Another thing is XMLs run notoriously hot and eat up battery power. If the same light is available in 2700 or 3000 K in XP-G2 or XPL/XPLHI those may be better options. XML will be more floody, the others will be have more throw.

paikeam

Newly Enlightened
Ok then,

my appologize the Convoy S2+ I'm looking for is XML2 3000-3200K, this one is the cheapest for now on the website so I think I'm gonna order it (only 9€) as you tell me it's more floody.
As I usually use a Seeker 2 wich is 1lm/4cd ratio it is a floody beam that I like in this way for walking.

If there is the issue you told me about the different tint between the hotspot and the flood then I will consider an other one. At those prices I can buy a bit more than just one light ^^.

I've seen other lights with 2700k or 3000-3200K made by Convoy as the S12 wich is available in SST20 2700K, maybe a better choice ?

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
For now I've seen on banggood a Convoy S2+ (work with 18650 battery) with an XML LED at 2700K ! That looks exactly what I'm looking for. Is it a good brand ?
Does anyone here having any Convoy flashlights and can tell me more about ? Is it ok in rain ? Resistance ? Autonomy ?
At the risk of sounding like a Convoy fanboy: YES! :thumbsup: I've owned a couple of them (S2 and S2+) and been very happy with those so far. Used both as bicycle lights often, including in rain no problem. These lights are popular among flashaholics for much better build / finish than most cheapo lights, but not so much as to make them expensive. You can find higher performance, more compact or better looking lights, but not as cheap. Just right as in great value for money.

They're easy to mod / repair, and Convoy owner has a reputation for being very responsive to customer issues & working with the community.

XM-L2 7A tint is very yellowish compared to most LEDs (Cree docs say 7A tint for XM-L(2) is about 3000..3200K). I have 2 such LEDs on a board (one in another light, one spare) which were sold as same tint but were found to be (slightly) different. Comparable to "warm white" LED bulbs that are sold everywhere these days. Definitely not for everyone when it comes to using in a flashlight. :candle: But if that's what you're after, go for it! If you're going for an S2+, some tips:

• Find an offering that includes "Biscotti" firmware. The S2+'s on sale that don't use this firmware, have a fixed mode setup that you may or may not like. With the Biscotti firmware you have many options to set this up in different ways (L->M->H, H->M->L, 3-mode or 4-mode, moonlight / blinky modes included or not, etc).
  • More power (eg. 2.8A driver) isn't necessarily better! Apart from running (much) hotter on 100%, batteries drain quicker & the lower modes move up in output as well. Which may not be what you want. For example I ordered my S2 with a 1A driver, and for the S2+ I bumped that to 1.4A but did NOT go for a 2.1 or 2.8A driver. No regrets there so far.
  • Get an 18350 battery tube that matches the S2+ of your choice. That gives you the option to employ 18350 (or even 16340 / 17335) Li-ions & enjoy a much shorter light (my fav configuration). 18350 battery tube costs peanuts :) but may be hard to find later on.
  • Official Convoy store is on AliExpress I think? (please correct me if wrong).
  • There's some differences among color models, mostly concerning the tail switches (metal vs. rubber boot etc). Some may have backlight in the switch. :cool: In short: check review(s) for the exact version you're eyeing before clicking "buy".
  • Don't worry too much about finding the exact combo of LED / driver / body you want. Because easy to mod -> easy to get body from 1 place, LED board or driver from 2nd place & combine those.

Another thing is XMLs run notoriously hot and eat up battery power.
Lumen/W (and therefore, heat losses) is not much different between XM-L(2) and XP-G2 or XP-L leds. How hot the LEDs run is primarily a function of drive power & cooling (mounting method + flashlight body or pill design). But XM-L(2) has a 5x5 mm footprint vs. 3.5x3.5 mm (or so) for the other LEDs mentioned. Read: the smaller LEDs produce their light in a smaller surface area. Therefore all else being equal,

XML will be more floody, the others will be have more throw.
pretty much sums it up.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought many Convoy lights, they are cheap but they can serve the purpose.
Keep in mind that there are several drivers, the one from * 8 is the most powerful and this means more heat and less autonomy.
On big lights like the C8 model this is not a problem but the S2 at maximum power overheats excessively (if you live in a cold place this could be mitigated)
I tried the 7A tint on the C8 it is beautiful but compared to the 4C tint there is a significant reduction in power.
If you can spend more there are many manufacturers such as Armytek, Eagletac, Zebralight that offer lights with both tint (choice warm_NW or withe_CW)

paikeam

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help !

So I'm gonna try this one : Convoy S2+ XML2 T4-7A 7135*8
As it is the lowest expensive and the only one with this LED on this tint. It can be good because as I've explained before, I use my Seeker 2 on the medium mode at 300lm, this is really enough for walking.
So I don't think I will use the convoy at the maximum very often, I will use the medium witch should be around 320lm with this warm white tint.
I haven't ordered the 18350 tube as it is already very portable (even a bit smaller than my Seeker 2) and 18650 is the only type of battery I have with the 21700.

Speaking about battery I will firstly use the one I have that come from my Olight Warrior X, this is a button top 3000mAh 15A 18650 battery.
If the Convoy S2+ in this configuration doesn't suit me then I will probably go for a S12 with Nichia 219C 4000K or SST20 (2700K or 4000K) because it seems to be better CRI.

On the Olight website I've seen that the S1R baton2 winter edition is equiped with the XML2 3000K 80CRI with exactly the same output at 850lm max as the S2+ I ordered.
Does it mean that the Convoy S2+ XML2 7A has an 80CRI too ?

I think I will also buy an other flashlight for high CRI (is it the begining of flashaholism ?), the Astrolux S43 Nichia 219C seems to be the perfect one for a reasonable price, or the S12 is better and can do twice (warm white with high CRI) ?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very impressed with my 4000k sst-20 convoy s2+. Definitely a decent quality and very versatile 18650 light. I recommend going through the AE convoy store to get the biscotti firmware and ask for an OP reflector.

The only thing I don't like is that it can't take cr123 if needed.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed no Biscotti firmware. :( But it's really cheap price, and driver is easy to order separately & replace later should you want to.
40% mode should get around 2.5h runtime, 100% just under an hour or so. But you may find the 5% mode (>20h runtime) even more useful for daily use. ;)

Does it mean that the Convoy S2+ XML2 7A has an 80CRI too ?
From XM-L2 datasheet:
Typical CRI for Warm White (2600 K – 3700 K CCT) is 80.
Warmer tints tend to have better CRI, and any of the higher-CRI options for the XM-L2 are 80 CRI or above. So chances are 80 CRI minimum is what you'll get anyway. Assuming it's real Cree that is (can't ever be sure when ordering from sites like Banggood & co :D ).

paikeam

Newly Enlightened
Ok nice ! 80CRI will certainly be better than my Seeker 2.

Why the Biscotti is so much better ? What's the difference ? I don't understand clearly, is it the UI ? Or the "management" of temp, output, things like that ?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing biscotti offers is many selectable mode groups. Allows you to select (and change) your UI

paikeam

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks, I see now.

Personally it's not something very important for me.

Maybe I will miss one thing... moonlight mode, but this mode on the Seeker 2 is too much (5lm) and as it is blueish I don't use it very often.

I think one day I will buy a good old Maglite Solitaire for some purposes ^^ hey there is even an ajustable beam ! And works on 1AAA.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
a SF 6p or malkoff with a 219b drop in is a warmer "white" light.

thermal guy, ven, infrnl are some real solid guys that can comment on this, actually suprised they havent

buck and lightobession is to and has already posted above

i am not discrediting anyone who has posted

im just trying to help the op

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Unfortunately i dont have time or see all the threads wicky, but as you mentioned in another thread, it was easy to find. I dont really spend much time on the recommendation threads as just far too many variables.

Either way..........My suggestion would maybe be towards the BLF FW1A or FW3A. For around $40, offers many LED choices, some on the warm side with 7A. Also various metals, ti and cu as well as anodised. This is for a more budget friendly choice.

Convoy are fine, these are good value budget lights. No frills, decent choices of LEDs for 20 bucks. Ano is poor, so wont take long to look beat up. Any issues they can be worked on easily......

Too many variables really, i would rather invest in a warm HDS if its a long term use. Yes expensive, but built like a tank and unless lost.......you will be passing it down!

One of my fav's, the surefire p60. Be it 6p, a c2, a z2 with your choice of p60. Use the incand bulb for nostalgic times, chuck in a wide choice of engines. Custom from vinh, oveready, or cheaper choices from EDC plus and sportac(flashaholics UK has some nichia triple sportacs). Get bored, swap out for a different favour.

Sounds a nice 3000k nichia might be your cup of tea, maybe a modded light would be another option.

Sometimes its worth spending that bit more, that way you get the light and colour temp you want. Its very easy to keep buying the next best light that does not quite meat your criteria, instead of spending that bit more at the start.............but its still fun all the same!

paikeam

Newly Enlightened
Hard to find where to buy BLF's lights (from france).
So the goal for a great warm white LED should be nichia 3000K but for now I don't find anyone.
The only available I've seen yet on the market in low CCTs are with SST20, the lowest nichias are 4000K (convoy, fireflies).
Exept for the folomov which is 3000K high CRI nichia, but I was looking for a better autonomy.

Is it easy to modify the convoy s2+ to put a nichia inside ?

ven

Flashaholic
Hard to find where to buy BLF's lights (from france).
So the goal for a great warm white LED should be nichia 3000K but for now I don't find anyone.
The only available I've seen yet on the market in low CCTs are with SST20, the lowest nichias are 4000K (convoy, fireflies).
Exept for the folomov which is 3000K high CRI nichia, but I was looking for a better autonomy.

Is it easy to modify the convoy s2+ to put a nichia inside ?

Need to be ordered from neals gadgets or mtn elec in the USA if/when have stock. The former allow 2-3weeks, latter 10 days ish.

S2+ are pretty mod friendly yes.