Malkoff flood dropin. Can you make it

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My M60F's are honestly my most used Dropins. There dead useful for close in work. I have never messed with mine but is the lens" honeycomb" the only difference? What I'm wondering is if I could source that lens I could have a warm or neutral flood and that would be awesome. Anyone ever try this or seen what's under the lens?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, the different optic is the main difference (between, say the M60 / M60F or M30 / M30F)

It is glued into place however and not readily removable or replaced, as the plastic tends to break.

The M91 / M61 / M31 series, of course, use reflectors instead of optics.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
From these pics...

m60.jpg

m60f.jpg

It looks like the honeycomb bit is just inserted over the TIR.
I've taken an M60 apart, and it wasn't fun, but never done the M60f.
A Triple would do the job, my favourite and most used lights are Malkoffs with OR Nichia Triples.
P

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The Malkoff M60LF is one of my all time favorite drop-ins for hiking. If there was a W version (or even better HCRI) I would buy a stack and be happy forever.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried an M61 in the tint of your choice with diffusion film? Seems like it would be easier and a similar beam.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I haven't. But I think that honeycomb lens has a lot to do with the beam I'm after.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't. But I think that honeycomb lens has a lot to do with the beam I'm after.

I don't have an m60f but I do have headlamps with honey comb lenses and the frosted lens on my zebra light makes a similar beam. Might not work for you but it's so easy it'd be a shame not to try.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a big fan of the m60(f). If they were neutral, it'd probably be a different story. M61 seems to have a better beam but i think m60 has better voltage range

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's definitely a niche item. Not really useful past 20-30 feet but for trail walking or finding that elusive toy your 4 year old lost under your bed it's very handy.When I walk my woods at night "something my neighbors have finally gotten used to"it's great for seeing what's around you but I would never not have my M91 or M61 with me for longer range.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have on old one that was in an Elzetta. I pried it apart because some oil had gotten inside. It is similar to the Elzetta AVS. The honeycomb piece is cone shaped and drops down into a white plastic reflector with the LED at the bottom. I don't recommend prying the lens out. I cracked the white reflector. I wiped it out though and put the honeycomb piece back in and it works fine. I would buy a MD2 Wildcat in a second if he made one. I like the Elzetta Bravo AVS with the flood lens also.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smaller form factor just like having a hd 18650....great option.

I'd take an 18650 WC over md3 or md4 but we all have our own visions

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have on old one that was in an Elzetta. I pried it apart because some oil had gotten inside. It is similar to the Elzetta AVS. The honeycomb piece is cone shaped and drops down into a white plastic reflector with the LED at the bottom. I don't recommend prying the lens out. I cracked the white reflector. I wiped it out though and put the honeycomb piece back in and it works fine. I would buy a MD2 Wildcat in a second if he made one. I like the Elzetta Bravo AVS with the flood lens also.
It's the same as the non flood then, except that the cone shape on on the non flood is clear.
No, I don't recommend prying it out either, once you go there, there's no return.
P