Fenix Outfitters        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comments from non-flashoholics that really annoy you.

Default Re: Comments from non-flashoholics that really annoy you.

Why do you need so many flashlights? You really only need one

Me: There all different! Even if they look the same there are different emitters(over there head need explination)

Nothing really.

It's taken nine years (slow-learner) but I've finally lowered my expectations of the non-illuminated. As a matter of fact, I recently relocated my collection to a room that's not normally visited by company.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I will not hide my aspirations toward flashlight from any one. Please move those lights back, and hande it. Enjoy your lights so all can see them, even those who think you are a wonk for having them. My best friends make fun of my passion, and it does not affect those friendships.

Bill

“What do you mean you have different flashlights? They’re all the same, a little tube you hold in your hand and light comes out the one end.”

Yeah. The bluish-purple, amoeba-shaped blob your dollar-store light throws somewhere in the vicinity of where you are pointing it doesn’t quite do it for my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Nothing really.

It's taken nine years (slow-learner) but I've finally lowered my expectations of the non-illuminated. As a matter of fact, I recently relocated my collection to a room that's not normally visited by company.
    I did the same thing, mine are all kept out of site, only my family and close friends know of my addiction lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    I will not hide my aspirations toward flashlight from any one. Please move those lights back, and hande it. Enjoy your lights so all can see them, even those who think you are a wonk for having them. My best friends make fun of my passion, and it does not affect those friendships.

Bill
    It's not so much that they're being hidden. It was just time for a change. Honestly, 95% of our company didn't say a word one way or another. That's what led me to discontinue my expectations. The Illumine-less just don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSnyder View Post
    I did the same thing, mine are all kept out of site, only my family and close friends know of my addiction lol
    I'll never stop trying to enlighten people to the wisdom of EDC. Nor will I hide my love of flashlights under a bushel.

The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I are both enjoying having all the collection in one place. Well, almost all of them. There's still another 40 upstairs waiting to make the journey.

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
    This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine,
    This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine,
    let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.
    Hide it under a bushel - NO!
    I'm gonna let it shine.

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

"I don't have a flashlight, I have my phone."

Not because of the obvious, but because if these people didn't have a phone with flashlight functionality, they would have nothing and then they would just say "you don't need a flashlight anyway." Having a phone with a light built-in gives them an excuse, when previously they would have had no excuse.

Only thing my friends and family say about mine is "that must take a while to dust".
    I tell them "nah, I collect dust too, check this out dust from hurricane Irene, and over here dust from when the Eagles were super bowl champs, or here's some dust I collected the year Trump was elected"……
    John 3:16

I've gotta comment on some of these;
    "1. Why do you carry a flashlight? That's weird. Hey, can I borrow that for a minute?"
    I worked for an architecture firm, I had a boss a while back give me crap for the flash light I carried. Gives me crap 20 min into an on site measurement, he goes to go into the basement, light switch doesn't work. "Hay give me you flash light." I wanted to just push him down the stairs but the client was standing right there. All I did was call him a slinky. He ask me later at the office what I meant by calling him a slinky. I told him "Some people are as useless as a slinky but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."
    "2. I don't need a flashlight, I have my cell phone"
    Not so much a flash light comment here but related. Was at a buddies party way out in the sticks, dark as all hell. My buddy saw that I had my camera and asked me to take pictures of his band while they played. Told him I wasn't really set up for low light photography but I'd give it a shot. Anyways he's playing and I'm getting surprisingly good pictures with my new lens. 28mm prime lens on a D300s Nikon. Some women walks up to me holding her cell phone. "My pictures aren't turning out are you having any luck." After shaking my head I told her that her phone had a sensor the size of a pin head, my camera had one the size of a postage stamp. That lens cost more then her cell phone.
    "5. I just bought this light for $5 at the gas station. It's rated for 10,000 lumens."
    Oddly enough I've had a few friends that by those lights or the infomercial "but you can drive over it with a Humvee" lights. After playing with my lights and the one night we lost power at the curling club and I stuck my light against the glass and illuminated the whole facility so everyone could get off the ice. My friends have learned about good quality flash lights and are buying ones that are more expensive then ones I own. I've converted a bunch of people away from cheap lights to good ones. The only real gripe I have with "lights" is games where my key-chain light is brighter, or there isn't any duct tape in the whole universe to mount a light on a gun. Give you fantasy so whatever.
    Last edited by Locki; 12-27-2019 at 06:42 PM.

I've been reading this thread for a week, trying to think of something meaningful to contribute, but the issue just doesn't come up.

I do get annoyed when people, who are dumber than a rock, tell Stupid Polish jokes. They for the most part are probably as Chaunce would say... un-illuminated.

Chauncey,
    That's a nice collection you have there.

I have enjoyed some of the comments in this thread and really started laughing when I read the last couple of comments...

Bykfixer,
    LOL... dust collection!? That's hillarious!

And Locki, I have to remember this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locki View Post
    I've gotta comment on some of these; I worked for an architecture firm, I had a boss a while back give me crap for the flash light I carried. Gives me crap 20 min into an on site measurement, he goes to go into the basement, light switch doesn't work. "Hay give me you flash light." I wanted to just push him down the stairs but the client was standing right there. All I did was call him a slinky. He ask me later at the office what I meant by calling him a slinky. I told him "Some people are as useless as a slinky but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."
    Regarding flashlights, a few years ago, during a night time power outage, I grabbed a handful of flashlights and went to five different neighbors houses to check on them and to offer them lights if they needed them. At one house they had a candle, and a couple of half dead flashlights. The adult daughter was on her phone with the power company representative, with her cell phone flashlight app running. I offered her a light and her response was... "No thanks, I'm good." My thought was... "How stupid."
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Yesterday I took a walk in the woods but I had to abandon the excursion, my heart occasionally complains, I'm still not perfectly healed.
    I preferred not to risk and I went back, it was almost dark and I met a group of people, father and mother equipped with professional backpacks and 3 or 4 small children of approximate 4/7 years.
    They asked me for information on where to reach a certain place in the woods, I give them the directions but I advise them that they would arrive there in the deep darkness and then they would have to go back.
    They asked me if in my opinion they would be able to make the whole return journey without problems and without risk ..
    I answer that it is not so problematic .. "but you have a flashlight, right?" they * very surprised * tell me: "no, but we have cell phones"
    I didn't say anything and went away .. a family with children walking in the woods (which they didn't know) with the twilight and it is only halfway through the path ..
    Probably they had very expensive latest version phones (as expensive as their beautiful backpacks)
    When I saw those backpacks I assumed that they were expert hikers and that there would certainly be a light in there, but apparently it wasn't.

Thanks Poppy.

bykfixer and Locki - Thank you both for the out-loud laughs.

One of the great pleasures in life is giving someone cause to laugh out loud.

Really annoy me? About my flashlights? Absolutely nothing. People get offended way to easy nowadays.

Flashaholic*

I try not to let people annoy me but, they always seam to find a way lol...

When it comes to flashlights though I don't get many comments honestly.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Comments from mortals don’t bother me. I pity them and their dark ways.
    There can never be too much honey to lick off your fingers.

Flashaholic

I had a little head start with questions like we get about flashlights. I have a high end airgun hobby and someone would ask from time to time " how much does that airgun cost?" Me $1400.00 bucks, them "you can get a real gun for that much money"

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
    Yes, this makes people mad, they find it absurd that you always have a light on you but when they see two flashlights they look at you like an alien.
    Wait'll you mention modding. Then people look at me like I have three heads! I'm too old and cranky to worry what others think anyway. 🔦

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12