Comments from non-flashoholics that really annoy you.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll start with this..

1. Why do you carry a flashlight? That's weird. Hey, can I borrow that for a minute?

2. I don't need a flashlight, I have my cell phone.

3. I keep my 3D Maglite next to the bed in case I need a weapon.

4. I pay my electricity bill, what do I need a flashlight for, it's (insert year)!

5. I just bought this light for $5 at the gas station. It's rated for 10,000 lumens.

6. Why would they make a flashlight that doesn't have a USB? Doesn't everything have USB nowadays?

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
"why would you pay that much for a flashlight?"

Really annoys me, like spend your money on whatever you want but don't question what I spend mine on. I like quality

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
I let slip just enough of my flashaholism so my friends know whose feet to grovel at when the power goes out.

But of course, in that situation I keep my lights for myself. Mwahaha.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I *never* discuss Price !

Normal people will NEVER understand !

Sos24

Enlightened
"why would you pay that much for a flashlight?"

Really annoys me, like spend your money on whatever you want but don't question what I spend mine on. I like quality

Along with this goes the

"I can buy 10 flashlights at Walmart for what one of those cost, so why would you buy that"

So people just don't understand that I want quality I can trust when I need it, These are usually the same people that have their own "I wouldn't spend X on that piece of junk. I'd rather spend more to get a quality one"

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't need a flashlight

I do not go around in the dark / go home before dark.

Electricity never fails, if it does it is only for a few minutes.

I have my cell phone.

Did you spend 100 euros this month on torches? you are crazy !
(who said he smokes two packs of cigarettes a day - cost about 5 euros each)

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm on the other spectrum. I've never had anyone question my flashlights and I've never felt the need to justify my hobbies. I have friends from all walks of life though so I guess that helps. I used to powerlift and have a friend with a comic book store. Another couple of my friends own gun stores/archery shops. Several other places. Nothing seems odd to me or them I guess. I'm versed in everything from Pokémon to hi-standard pistols haha.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The power fails at work. While standing in a dark hallway with a muggle co-worker, the flashaholic deploys a Malkoff MD2.

Muggle: How did you know to bring a flashlight?

Flashaholic:.........

bignc

Enlightened
I guess I talk alot. When the power goes out, I typically hear my name called....

But same as many, I don't even think about the things said by the unprepared anymore. I shake them off like a donkey in a well.

LRJ88

Enlightened
"That's so expensive, i don't see any reason to put that much money on something so useless" after having spent $200 in a single night at a bar.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Live and let live.

My marathon running neighbor pays $36 for a pair of socks and says "you paid how much for a flashlight?"
Now the way I see it, if I'm ever chased by a marathon running bear I suppose those $36 socks would come in real handy. But the likelyhood of that is less than surviving a helicopter crash……5 times.

Another neighbor who owns several $500 fishing reels said "****s sporting goods has those type of flashlights for $9." Now that neighbor brings in 100+ pound catfish with his super reels so it's all good to me. Yet I know one night his boat will konk out and his $9 ****s sporting goods light will too.

Meanwhile my elderly neighbors hit me up for Maglite repairs and bulbs. Back in 1985 or so they spent $20 on a flashlight that still works decades later. I don't preach "uh, mam you should upgrade". I just fix their relic and add a spare bulb in the tailcap.

My favorite is when someone lights an object with a celphone and I deploy a real light, turn on electric sunshine and they continue to hold the celphone over the object like adding 6 more lumens makes things perfectly bright now. That one does cause me to scratch my head sometimes. :thinking:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I'm not bothered and I typically don't hear about it.

In part a flashlight it's a means to an end. A tool. I like doing outdoor activities when it's dark and a light supports that. I don't talk about lights in the way I don't talk about my other outdoor gear, such as hiking boots.

The other part is technical and gear interest. It's what keeps me coming back. I understand that others don't get that and I'm ok with their ignorance. We're all ignorant about something and in that way we're not that different ourselves.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, people running around using their $900 phone as a flashlight(SIGH) I guess better to use It to see where your going than having you're face buried In It and not see anything.
I get the "why do you carry a flashlight" alot

stuart

Newly Enlightened
My least favorite thing is when you show someone a new light and they click the switch on and off 10 times as opposed to a light temporary press. Doesn't matter if its multi mode or single stage.