• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Question about Olight serial numbers

Olight Fiend

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is one of my first posts here. I own several olight flashlights. I almost always buy during the flash sales and have never given serial numbers a second thought. Recently, when looking for a limited edition light on eBay, I noticed a listing twice as high as the next lowest price advertising a "2 digit" serial number. This got me curious since I'm always buying lights as soon as they become available(hate when things sell out when I'm deciding what to order).

I started checking for serial numbers and have several relatively low(<1000) ones. On a 9999 limited run, that's a one in ten chance. I don't currently attribute any extra value because I don't really care or think arbitrary numbers change anything(as someone who values functionality and overall utility above all else), but from a value collectors standpoint, I am curious what it means.

Intuitively, I would have assumed lower serial numbers get sent out with the first orders, and that seems to be at least partly true. However, recently during a sale I ordered a TON of lights. When I got the parcel, I started checking them out and noticed one of the previous years' limited editions was number #0048, which I thought was neat. Not interested in selling, but would like to know what the community thinks about serial numbers and how they effect the collectors' value later on.
Happy holidays!

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is one of my first posts here. I own several olight flashlights. I almost always buy during the flash sales and have never given serial numbers a second thought. Recently, when looking for a limited edition light on eBay, I noticed a listing twice as high as the next lowest price advertising a "2 digit" serial number. This got me curious since I'm always buying lights as soon as they become available(hate when things sell out when I'm deciding what to order).

I started checking for serial numbers and have several relatively low(<1000) ones. On a 9999 limited run, that's a one in ten chance. I don't currently attribute any extra value because I don't really care or think arbitrary numbers change anything(as someone who values functionality and overall utility above all else), but from a value collectors standpoint, I am curious what it means.

Intuitively, I would have assumed lower serial numbers get sent out with the first orders, and that seems to be at least partly true. However, recently during a sale I ordered a TON of lights. When I got the parcel, I started checking them out and noticed one of the previous years' limited editions was number #0048, which I thought was neat. Not interested in selling, but would like to know what the community thinks about serial numbers and how they effect the collectors' value later on.
Happy holidays!

I would say the order serial numbers are released is random but it seems in many cases that high number lights ship first at least in the US. I usually order at the beginning of flash sales and have gotten mostly high numbers. I ordered a copper M2R within 60 seconds of release and got SN 1529. Back several months ago Olight put them on sale for under $80 and the SN I got is 245. Where it sucks is when Olight releases a limited edition light with both SN and standard serial numbers. First time I saw this was the OD green Warrior X. Several other lights have been the same. How limited is a limited production light? In the past yes recently not very.

dnice

Newly Enlightened
I seem to receive pretty high numbered serial numbers as well. Maybe it is a US distribution thing...

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
Im from Sweden, i bought a seeker 2 orange pro from a seller in poland on Ebay and got the serial number #8809 so i guess it means they made 10k units of this? Also my s2r copper has number #6614. Im kinda late to the party but the high numbers makes kinda sense to me. I think its random tho if u buy the same day a new limited edition u should expect a kinda low number within -1000 or so? I dont know but it doesnt matter really, not like a low number makes the light better or something....:kiss:

Last edited: