how far we have come

hahoo

Enlightened
stumbled onto this browsing tonight.
i remember wanting one of saablusters lights so bad back then.
i remember thinking wow, what would 240 lux look like in person!:eek:
this is almost laughable now huh .

Is the Thrunite TN31 a MUCH better thrower than the Fenix TK41?

Fenix TK41 has lux of 55,000. TN31 does around 112,000.

To put it into perspective, TK41 has around 470 meters of effective throw. TN31 will do around 670 meters, on par with SR90.

However...

You can grab TN31 modified by saabluster over at One Stop Throw Shop. His custom version does a whopping 240,000 lux, translating to around 980 meters of throw. Not even the SR95UT can touch that.

hahoo

Enlightened
man, 85 views and no love or laughs for the insane progress we have made.
rough crowd here these days........

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yeah it's pretty crazy. However, I remember owning the best throwing LED handhelds like the MRV Q5, Tiablo A8 and Dereelight DBS, which were pushing somewhere around 25K lux and it seemed incredible for LED. Everything better was Incan spots or Arc lamps and there was no small alternative for throw until HID's got smaller, like the WE Boxer 24W. Not many years prior to that, 5mm Nichia's was where it was at and the 4AA Dorcy Solid State with 45mm reflector could throw a LED beam about 150ft... as long as you used energizer E2's. LED technology has blown me away, especially over the last 6 year or so. Funny, I still have my WE Boxer 24W and that Dorcy Solid State.:sssh:

ven

Flashaholic
I think its crazy, the W1 etc to name just one. Then the acebeam w30 types. What amazes me the most, is having higher kcd than large throwers a few years back, in pocketable EDC size lights with some models. Who knows what 2020 will bring, hopefully make these crazy lights more affordable. LEDs were expensive at the start, would like to see the "white laser" types become more wallet friendly.

hahoo

Enlightened
ya, im waiting on an led thrower to hit where the lemax super 70 is at.
almost pulled the trigger on that beast a while ago when they emailed me the 30% deal.
7000 lumens, and 4.5 mill lux will be something in an led :D

hahoo

Enlightened
Yeah it's pretty crazy. However, I remember owning the best throwing LED handhelds like the MRV Q5, Tiablo A8 and Dereelight DBS, which were pushing somewhere around 25K lux and it seemed incredible for LED. Everything better was Incan spots or Arc lamps and there was no small alternative for throw until HID's got smaller, like the WE Boxer 24W. Not many years prior to that, 5mm Nichia's was where it was at and the 4AA Dorcy Solid State with 45mm reflector could throw a LED beam about 150ft... as long as you used energizer E2's. LED technology has blown me away, especially over the last 6 year or so. Funny, I still have my WE Boxer 24W and that Dorcy Solid State.:sssh:

haha, a little dorcy led from sears was my 1st led light.
think thats what got me hooked.
glad to see you back here patriot!
really used to enjoy your videos man.
get busy and make us some more!

this is the beast !
https://www.sportco.com/store/pc/catalog/41_4297combo_900_detail.jpg

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
SAME! I still have an original.... I'd call it a 1.2 TN31, then it was the "1.3" with upgraded battery carrier and then I think Thrunite cameout with a TN35? With a bigger reflector...

Patriot

Flashaholic
haha, a little dorcy led from sears was my 1st led light.
think thats what got me hooked.
glad to see you back here patriot!
really used to enjoy your videos man.
get busy and make us some more!

this is the beast !
https://www.sportco.com/store/pc/catalog/41_4297combo_900_detail.jpg

Hahoo, I'll have to post a picture of that little Dorcy tomorrow. I think it was the light that reignited my interest in flashlights, first that and then the ArcAAA and the CMG Infinity's of various LED colors. I think I still have two CMG's and a Gerber version. I had a guess that LED would be the "survival" light of future because of it's efficiency and runtime but I couldn't have known just how far it would develop. Great to hear from you man and thanks for the kind thoughts! :)

I tried to view your link but it isn't working at this moment. I check it again tomorrow.

AmericanDissent

Enlightened
I think my first led light was an Inova X5, then eventually a pretty low lumen drop in for my Surefire C2. I don't remember the lumens, and even though it blew the Inova away, it would most definitely be considered anemic by today's standards.

The SR90 was an amazing light in its day, and I had one shortly after release. Around that time I remember reading people speculating as to whether or not led tech would eventually be able to perform similarly to HID tech. Man, if only we knew! Back then my dream light was a Polarion PH50, but they were difficult to find and a ton of money.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Once the SR90 hit the scene, I had little doubt that we'd eventually have LED lights that performed similarly, then eventually overtake HID, at least where instantaneous numbers were concerned. I recall there was a sizable group back around 2010 who thought it would be much sooner, 2-3 years, than later. I thought that was incredibly optimistic considering that we were only seeing a big leap ever year or so in LED tech. It's easy to forget that high end, hand held HID's don't have to worry about heat too much and they run regulated, though their entire run cycle, without much decrease in output. It seems like it's really only been the last year or two, that LED lights of similar size, can run at sustained turbo, producing over 500Kcd and over 5000L. Most of the multi-emitters that run over 500Kcd and 5000L still have to throttle back. There are some recent exceptions but it just goes to remind me how much time and effort has gone into LED technology over the last 9-10 years. I think the CFT90/SBT90 will go down as the LED that finally matched 50W HID in lumen output, exceeded HID in throw and will easily run at those levels sustained, given similar or equal mass.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Remember some of these little beauties?

x5QKJuh.jpg

Thought I'd snap a shot of the ArcAAA's and CMG Infinity's next to PreonIIIvn and Preon0