fenix LD10 replacement recommendations?

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
My fenix LD10 R5 switch is dying on me. Perhaps not surprisingly I'm having hard time finding a replacement part for what I think is a light from 2011, so - in case the plan to bring it back to fully operational status fails miserably - I am on the lookout for a new 1 AA light.

Needs to have:

- back switch / no twist on-off
- mode switch via back switch or front element twist / definitely no side mode switch
- decent runtime, but not a priority
- good build quality
- close to LD10 beam profile would be great

Do you have any recommendations???

(I thought the Nitecore MT1A looked like a pretty close replacement, but that's also an R5 emitter, so I'm guessing a pretty old light - nothing wrong with R5 as far as I could tell, but I'm guessing maybe the world has moved on to some newer and better tech...?)

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't know.

15) Water resistance

____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions

____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the jaxman e3? It's a 1aa with a forward tail clicky. Nichia 219 (go with 4000k the 5700k seems low cri to my eyes). Runs 14500 if you want.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
Promising! Form factor looks good - reminds me of a 1xAA Quark I had before I had the LD10. I'll look at some reviews. Thanks.