Review: Nitecore UT32 (1x18650 headlamp, Cool and Warm emitters, Running)

Budda

Enlightened
http I recieved the Nitecore UT32 from Nitecore for the review.

The UT32 is an innovative headlamp that features 2 emitters (a CREE XP-L2 V6 cool white and a CREE XP-L V6 warm white) with 2 different reflectors but in the classic form factor of the 1x18650 headlamp segment.

[URL="http://www.lumenreviews.com/Flashlight-Pics/Nitecore-UT32/Nitecore_UT32_01.jpg"][IMG]http://www.lumenreviews.com/Flashlight-Pics/Nitecore-UT32/Nitecore_UT32_01.jpg[/URL]

With the UT32, I got a special 18650 battery to test, the Nitecore NL1829RLTP, a micro USB rechargeable 18650 with 2900mAh that is able to perform in the cold, up to -40C.
Nitecore_UT32_02.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_03.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_04.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_05.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_06.jpg

The UT32 reminds me of the Greek god Janus, since they both have 2 faces.
On one side we have the Cool White XP-L2 emitter, on the 2 sides next to it we got 2 electronic switches (one with the rubber cover flat, the over with a rubber cover with a dimple); on the 4th​ side, opposite to the XP-L2 cool white emitter, we have the XP-L warm white emitter.
Here are all the 4 sides.
Nitecore_UT32_07.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_08.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_09.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_10.jpg

The 2 emitters are in 2 different sized reflectors, in order to offer 2 different beams, both in geometry and in temperature colour. The cool white emitter has a smaller, narrower reflector than the one of the warm white emitter.
Nitecore_UT32_20.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_21.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_22.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_23.jpg

Based on my understanding, both LEDs share the same driver and such receive the same current for each mode, the difference in output is due to the different efficiency of the two emitters, higher for the cool white.

The top of the light has some small fins to help the cooling and the grip.
Nitecore_UT32_12.jpg

Beside the peculiar head, the UT32 is a regular 1x18650 headlamp, measuring 96x28 mm, weighting in at 83 grams. Here with a Zebralight H604C and the Nitecore HC35
Nitecore_UT32_19.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_25.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_26.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_27.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_28.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_29.jpg

The tailcap has anodised threads, so the physical lockout is possible. The threads are square cut.
The contact point for the positive end of the battery features a physical protection against polarity inversion.
Nitecore_UT32_13.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_14.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_15.jpg

With the New Nitecore headband, that features reflective inserts on the outside, and a Silicone anti sweat and grip increasing insert.
Nitecore_UT32_16.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_17.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_18.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_24.jpg

UI
Nitecore_UT32_37.png

Beamshots
You can see that the cool white emitter has a spotless beam, wide and homogeneous.
Nitecore_UT32_30.jpg

Nitecore_UT32_31.jpg

The warm emitter has a traditional, narrower beam, made of spot and spill. The tint is beautiful and the temperature colour is 3000K.
Wall hunting, it appears as the center of the spot with the XP-L2 has a slight green tint variation on my sample. Nothing that affect real use.

Output and runtime
Both tested with the provided battery.
Nitecore_UT32_32.png

Nitecore_UT32_33.png

Nitecore_UT32_34.png

Nitecore_UT32_35.png

Nitecore_UT32_36.png

Since the driver is the same for both emitter, I did the runtime tests with the Warm LED and I obtained the Cool white runtime by increasing the output value relative to each Cool White level.

The UI
My thoughts the light is well built and finished.
The regulation is fine on the tested levels.
The UI is a bit tricky at the beginning, but it is easy to control after a while: you realise that u use only one button to switch outputs, and the other one for changing the beam. In practice, it worked fine for me.
If You are worried about the risk for blinding yourself while changing the emitter which is on, that risk is non existent, given the fact that when you turn the other emitter on, it is facing your forhead and will not hit your eyes. Yes, you will see the light and you have to rotate the light clockwise (or counter clockwise, depending on how you set your light) so that the light will turn going over your forehead, and not passing under it, hitting your eyes. This in practice is also very intuitive and works fine.
Keep in mind that for most application you don't have to switch beam type every few seconds, and that the solution adopted on the UT32 is a great way of carrying basically 2 fully powered and functioning headlamps with XP-L(2) emitters that produce 2 different beams. Before the UT32, to my knowledge, you had to resort to flashlighs with removable diffuser, or bigger lights that featured additional parts comprehensive of more circuitry, LEDs and reflector-optics. On other lights, secondary emitter also have often reduced output or a limited beam.
The UT32 is really 2 headlamps in one: 2 fully functional beams, with different applications, full power with almost no compromise (30" limited turbo, 4 levels per emitter).
The warmer, more focused beam is a great add for when you encounter fog, moisture or rain because, in these conditions, cool and unfocused light gets reflected, blinding you. It also helps getting a better depth perspective in the outdoors.

I would like this light to come with both LEDs in neutral/warm.
Maybe the reflector of the XP-L2 V6 wide beam could be replaced with a TIR optic in order to make the beam even wider.

Thanks to Zampa, AntoLed, Won.