Klarus        
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

  1. #1

    Default Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? I have a thrower in SST20 5000K. Now going tri-LED. Proper color rendering of nature is a must. Flashlights that make sticks and dirt look the same are a no go. Recommend a temperature Temperature? SST20 vs Nichia219C?

    A few options

    * SST20 6500K
    * SST20 5000K
    * SST20 4000K
    * SST20 2700K
    * 219C 5700K
    * 219C 4000K

  2. #2
    *Flashaholic* Burgess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,275

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    LOVE my AceBeam TK18
    for this very purpose ! ! !

    Nichia emitters

  3. #3

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    I donít have any experience of the SSTs, but have both 4000k and 5700k 219s; theyíre both great. If youíre hiking at night, I much prefer the 4000k for that.

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* tech25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Near the Big Apple
    Posts
    1,024

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    I find that 4K makes for the most realistic tint outdoors. I would go up to 5k but not much more than that.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wacki View Post
    Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? I have a thrower in SST20 5000K. Now going tri-LED.
    since you already have 5000k,
    decide if you want same color temp, or a warmer (more yellow), or cooler (more blue) LED?

    I agree w others that 4000k is nice at night, for general walkabout.

    I also enjoy 2700k when relaxing at camp at low lumen levels (less than 100 lumens)

    also decide what battery size you are shopping for... aaa? AA? 16340? 18350? 18650?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    I'm a tint snob and absolutely love my Emisar D18 (pop can triple-18650 light). It is floody and even moreso with a diffused lens. Available in a number of high-CRI tints and available in hydrid versions from modders like Vihn. Worth considering.

    edit: For headlamp, I absolutely love my Zebralight H600Fc 4k Frosted.
    Last edited by diggy64; 12-27-2019 at 10:21 AM.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* Lou Minescence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New England US
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    How far are you hiking ? Is size and weight also a consideration ? I take my Zebralighs on long mountain hikes.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

  8. #8

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Samsung LH 351 D is also good.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Honestly my 4000k XPL-HI triple is great. The color rendering is good enough and I get more throw and brightness than both sst-20 and Nichia 219c

    Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,821

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    I recently got a Zebralight H600Fc. It uses a high CRI 4000K Cree XHP 50.2 emitter. It thought it might show some tint shift, but the frosted lens cleans that right up. Really nice beam and tint, I really like it. Yeah, a Nichia might be better, but it's not nearly as efficient.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    I recently got a Zebralight H600Fc. It uses a high CRI 4000K Cree XHP 50.2 emitter. It thought it might show some tint shift, but the frosted lens cleans that right up. Really nice beam and tint, I really like it. Yeah, a Nichia might be better, but it's not nearly as efficient.

    +1

    I have an older model, H600Fc MkIII and I like it a lot. Also 4000K.
    ZL's frosted lens cleans Cree tint shift and because there is no sharp spot,
    no bouncing ball -effect.
    My 2 cents, even it is not tri-led.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* tech25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Near the Big Apple
    Posts
    1,024

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Quote Originally Posted by bbltint View Post
    I have an older model, H600Fc MkIII and I like it a lot. Also 4000K.
    ZL's frosted lens cleans Cree tint shift and because there is no sharp spot,
    no bouncing ball -effect.
    My 2 cents, even it is not tri-led.
    to add to this. On my Light that has 3 xpl-hi 4K tint, I needed either a medium or wide frosted optic to have a similar beam pattern to the H600fc MKIII near distance. On further distances, the Tri did have more reach with the hotspot. I donít know the lumen output used on the tri when comparing to my ZL.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    the Lumintop fw3a I believe is a three LED setup that can come with sst20

  14. #14

    Default Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Iím a sucker for high cri and love my various 219 lights. Iíve swapped sst-20 4000k 95cri emitters into a number of other lights with great results as well. Couldnít go wrong either way IMHO.

    That said, the neutral 4000k xpg2 that Malkoff is using is a real winner. Perfect tint and beam with a great balance between good cri and good output.

    I have a zebralight with the xhp-something and while itís not high cri the tint is wonderful. Maybe 3500k or so. Havenít messed with the high cri xhpís yet but based on this one they ought to be good.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Thank you guys. I just bought my first 4K temp triled!

  16. #16
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    I'll jump in as the lone voice saying ultra-warm works great outdoors. The 2700K sst20 light is real nice on trails and I prefer it in the campsite.

  17. #17
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,821

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Quote Originally Posted by finn View Post
    I'll jump in as the lone voice saying ultra-warm works great outdoors. The 2700K sst20 light is real nice on trails and I prefer it in the campsite.
    I've tried 3000K outdoors a few times, and I find it's too warm. Really nice indoors, but I prefer 4000K-5000K outdoors. I'm not sure why.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    I've tried 3000K outdoors a few times, and I find it's too warm. Really nice indoors, but I prefer 4000K-5000K outdoors. I'm not sure why.

    I agree that a little more neutral works better outdoors. For some reason the 3000k and warmer just gets sucked up to me. Looks great, but just appears less bright than it should. I like the 4000k spectrum. XPG2 at 80cri is nice, as is the 319C at 5000k (though thats getting a little too cool for my taste) specs. Lately I've really been happy with the SST-20 4000k 95cri. I need to get my hands on some LH351D with a similar spec to compare.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wacki View Post
    Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? I have a thrower in SST20 5000K. Now going tri-LED. Proper color rendering of nature is a must. Flashlights that make sticks and dirt look the same are a no go. Recommend a temperature Temperature? SST20 vs Nichia219C?

    A few options

    * SST20 6500K
    * SST20 5000K
    * SST20 4000K
    * SST20 2700K
    * 219C 5700K
    * 219C 4000K
    From my hiking experience, a bright hotspot @70 cri renders colors a lot better than a medium bright one @95 cri. Having said that, unless you hike in complete darkness, even 6500k looks too warm due to the ambient light being much cooler.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    From my hiking experience, a bright hotspot @70 cri renders colors a lot better than a medium bright one @95 cri. Having said that, unless you hike in complete darkness, even 6500k looks too warm due to the ambient light being much cooler.

    I'm going to have to disagree. CRI is CRI, brightness has nothing to do with it- so long as its bright enough to see what you are trying to see in the first place. Second, I've had the exact opposite experience with CRI. Lights tend to look cooler in darkness than they are rated. This is probably because we are accustom to warmer artificial lighting like candles/fire, incandescent and mercury vapor street lights. My 4000k lights look neutral to cool at night, my 5000k look cool to cold. Now I am an admitted neutral and warm tint high CRI fan so maybe its all just a mind game...

  21. #21
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    color rendering is fully relevant when eyes function in photopic (daylight) mode, which requires illuminance on target greater than ~30 lux. the dimmer is the target below this level the less relevant is the cri. below 0.01 lux cri is completely irrelevant, one can use a monochromatic light
    Last edited by ma tumba; 10-29-2020 at 06:39 AM.

  22. #22
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Weston, CT
    Posts
    474

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Another issue is relative humidity. Here in CT on humidor summer evenings there is so much vapor in the beam, you must hold the light at your waist to maximize the angle of the light source to your retina. Flooder is much better in those conditions - thrower is nearly useless. Topography, geography and weather at ground level all contribute to what type works best. In the clear dry desert I would want a very long thrower and a 25-50 yard flooder. Hi CRI of course.

  23. #23
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Also, when we talk max throw we need to remember that it is defined as the one at which brightness drops below moonlight is below 0.1lm. But for great color rendering we need at least 100 of that, so with a thrower rated for 1000meters we will see colors very well just within 100 meters

  24. #24
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Weston, CT
    Posts
    474

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    Also, when we talk max throw we need to remember that it is defined as the one at which brightness drops below moonlight is below 0.1lm. But for great color rendering we need at least 100 of that, so with a thrower rated for 1000meters we will see colors very well just within 100 meters
    That certainly jives with my experience....

  25. #25
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,821

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    color rendering is fully relevant when eyes function in photopic (daylight) mode, which requires illuminance on target greater than ~30 lux. the dimmer is the target below this level the less relevant is the cri. below 0.01 lux cri is completely irrelevant, one can use a monochromatic light
    Monochromatic light (such as a red light) is still less useful than white light at low illumination levels. With a red light, anything that does not have some shade of red, will be completely black to you. That can make it very difficult to see things such as green plants and leaves, or things that are magenta or blue (though that's much less common in nature). A white light will show you things of every color.

    If you're going to use a monochromatic light, choose deep red, and use it at moderate brightness. Don't use it dim. Even at moderate brightness, deep red light will not affect your night vision much, and you'll be able to see much better with it (at least stuff that contains some red).

    For moonlight modes, use a white LED. High CRI isn't important, and you might not even see color at all at low levels, but at least green and blue will show up (even if they look grey).

  26. #26

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    How about a solarforce l2p with a Sportac triple nichia 219,I have this and itís nice outdoors.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Best LED for Outdoor Hikes? Tri-LED configuration.

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    Monochromatic light (such as a red light) is still less useful than white light at low illumination levels. With a red light, anything that does not have some shade of red, will be completely black to you. That can make it very difficult to see things such as green plants and leaves, or things that are magenta or blue (though that's much less common in nature). A white light will show you things of every color.

    If you're going to use a monochromatic light, choose deep red, and use it at moderate brightness. Don't use it dim. Even at moderate brightness, deep red light will not affect your night vision much, and you'll be able to see much better with it (at least stuff that contains some red).

    For moonlight modes, use a white LED. High CRI isn't important, and you might not even see color at all at low levels, but at least green and blue will show up (even if they look grey).
    I totally agree that a high cri light would provide more robust overall picture than any monochromatic one. I just meant that colors would not be rendered any better.

    Re red preserving night vision. This is still a very debatable question. I have seen quite opposite statements in professional literature. I will research this issue one day.

    In any case this is irrelevant when cones are at play, for they restore their sensitivity very fast. For example, when moonlight is present.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •