• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Some Haiku Beam shots

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I haven't done any beam shots in a number of years and I do feel they can be as misleading as they are useful. But having messed with the Osram KW CSLNM1 LED I felt it necessary to try to provide some visual representation of what it is about. Similar to the Cree XPL(HI), the Osram has a flat silicone film over the LED die. This style lends itself better to use in a reflector as more off axis light is generated than a LED with a silicone dome. What is different about the Osram is the fact its die is much smaller than that of the Cree. Holding a caliper up to the LED's I guess the Cree die to be about 2.25 mm square where as the Osram is about 1.1 mm square. If we assume the Cree puts out 400 lumens at 1000mA then it has a surface intensity of roughly 70 lumens /sq mm. The Osram is rated from 250 - 400 lumens at 1000 mA. Using the figure of 300 lumens then it has a surface intensity of roughly 190 lumens /sq mm. The smaller die is also better collimated by a reflector so the spot is tighter and brighter by that virtue alone.

In order to try to capture the beam pattern as evenly as possible, I set up a Haiku reflector clamped at about 20 inches from the white face of a Tesla power wall (the location worked relative to my bench supply). I would hold the various LED's on MCPCB's up to the reflector and they were all driven at 60 mA. This close to the wall works against showing how the spot of the Osram holds together over distance but I would rather under play its difference than exaggerate it. I locked all five beam shots into the same image and then altered the group in Photoshot both increasing and decreasing the brightness to highlight the spill as well as dim the spot in attempt to illustrate the dynamic range and variation in the various LED's and their beam distributions.

First up is a reduced brightness that shows how the Osram holds up where the others have about disappeared:

Beams-LowSpot.jpg

Note as indicated, top row is XPG and then 119V, middle row is a pair of XPL(HI) differing in color temperature and then bottom is the Osram.
Next image give a better view of the spot beam:

Beams-Spot.jpg

And then a bit brighter exposure:

Beams-Medium.jpg

And then brightened up to show the relative spill portions:

Beams-Spill.jpg

A giff of the set:

Beams.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I also did a giff of the Haiku VS a Mahi at the same distance and both lights having HIVE converters driving the Osrams at the low low level:

Haiku-Mahi.gif

The Mahi reflector is similar in focal length to the Haiku but it gathers much more light from the LED than the Haiku. Spot and Spill diameters are very similar.

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
Awesome beamshots! This is exciting, looks like more you'll get more throw with that tighter hotspot. Would this emitter work well with the makai head?

Rob

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Awesome beamshots! This is exciting, looks like more you'll get more throw with that tighter hotspot. Would this emitter work well with the makai head?

Rob

In the Mahi head as well as the Makai head, you get a bright and tight spot and then a secondary larger spot that is not as bright and then the spill which is decent itself.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Assuming that a L.E with the Hive Converter and the aforementioned Osram emitter is available to buy, am I correct in thinking that the default high level on the Hive would drive the Osram at 1600ma?

If this is correct, is it a safe level to drive the Osram for a continuous amount of time and how many lumens would you expect it to output at this level?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming that a L.E with the Hive Converter and the aforementioned Osram emitter is available to buy, am I correct in thinking that the default high level on the Hive would drive the Osram at 1600ma?

If this is correct, is it a safe level to drive the Osram for a continuous amount of time and how many lumens would you expect it to output at this level?

Unless the Hive in question has changed the default is 1A and by menu adjustable up to 1.2A.
As far as the LED goes I can't remember that spec. I did screen shot a couple of pages of the data sheets but not containing that info. I was mainly interested in the binning as I'm prone to stuff below or very close to the BBL, given that Osram only stated the Cx Cy coordinates I got lazy and didn't try to plot them to see what the good bins possibly are. The charts from Cree and Nichia place the BBL in their diagrams to make it easier.
Interesting looking LED for sure.
Been meaning to make a post showing the four different Haiku reflector/LED combos I have. There's quite a variation in the beam distribution.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Unless the Hive in question has changed the default is 1A and by menu adjustable up to 1.2A.
As far as the LED goes I can't remember that spec. I did screen shot a couple of pages of the data sheets but not containing that info. I was mainly interested in the binning as I'm prone to stuff below or very close to the BBL, given that Osram only stated the Cx Cy coordinates I got lazy and didn't try to plot them to see what the good bins possibly are. The charts from Cree and Nichia place the BBL in their diagrams to make it easier.
Interesting looking LED for sure.
Been meaning to make a post showing the four different Haiku reflector/LED combos I have. There's quite a variation in the beam distribution.

Yes, you're right I'm sure. I was thinking of the Hive in my AquaRam which has a high default of 1.6A and can be programmed up to 2.2A ..... but that was designed for an 18650.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Light engines with the Osram are available. I updated the available lights thread accordingly. The LED is rated at 3000 mA so no problem in any of my lights. I got the LED's from Digikey and they do not provide specific bin info. They cite the full range of bins on the product label. To my eyes, they are bright white and reds, blues and purples render as they should.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Light engines with the Osram are available. I updated the available lights thread accordingly. The LED is rated at 3000 mA so no problem in any of my lights. I got the LED's from Digikey and they do not provide specific bin info. They cite the full range of bins on the product label. To my eyes, they are bright white and reds, blues and purples render as they should.

Would you be prepared to offer a L.E with the Osram and the Hive Converter where the Hive Converter is tuned to the same levels as it is in the Aquaram series?

EDIT:- This would give it a default high level of 1.6A with the potential for it to be programmed to 2.2A. It would mean that in the Makai, it would be a seriously good thrower and the weight of metal in the Makai as well as the use of a 16850 li-ion would surely support the higher current levels adequately.

Last edited:

rush

Newly Enlightened
Hi Easilyled,
the Hive driver used in the E-Series is limited to 1,2A as stated by others above.
The driver in the Aqua lights is different and larger in diameter. It allows to go higher in output.
A new E-series driver I am prototyping will allow a higher output also, but this is still in early stages.

The OSRAM Led is interesting for sure and I am testing it also. Thanks Don for providing this option.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Hi Easilyled,
the Hive driver used in the E-Series is limited to 1,2A as stated by others above.
The driver in the Aqua lights is different and larger in diameter. It allows to go higher in output.
A new E-series driver I am prototyping will allow a higher output also, but this is still in early stages.

The OSRAM Led is interesting for sure and I am testing it also. Thanks Don for providing this option.

Thanks for the reply rush. :wave: I look forward to the higher output E-series driver whenever this may materialise. ;)