Is Fenix HL18RW a good one for hiking and trail running?

colight

Enlightened
Kanda of fresh hand in trail running, have tried hiking before. So here looking for a lightweight headlamp for the new hobby, don't feel like the headlamp being felt when you wear it.
Noticed the newly released Fenix HL18RW, does anyone own this one already, any information would be appreciated.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked the spects 80 grams is light enough for a headlamp but keep in mind this is with the ion polymer. With 3xAAA is probably going to be heavier, at least if you use alkalines or nihms.
If you use lithium AAA, weight would probably be very similar. In any case, 80-100 grams is light enough for headlamp. Comfort also depends how the weight is distributed.

I personally prefer the 1x18650 headlamps for hiking and running: you'd be looking at slightly heavier headlamps but much better brightness and runtimes for their weight.
I also prefer designs that tilt 180° like the HL55.

In any case, yes the HL18RW looks good for hiking and trail running and you don't a lot of lumens for extended use.

Hope that helps.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get why someone would want a 3xAAA headlamp. Okay, I sort of get it: I have a couple. But they're junk, IMO.

For just 85g, you can get a Zebralight 1x18650 headlamp, that includes the weight of the cell. About 4x the capacity, and way more output if needed. With the top strap, it never moves around at all. If you don't want the top strap, I'd probably go with something a bit lighter, like a 1xAA version.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I don't have expirience with this model but I've used a Fenix HL10 for years and it works well for certain applications.