Lens & O-rings for the MDX?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, does the 16.5 & 22.3 MDX heads use the same lens and O-ring kit? I can't seam to find one on Malkoff's site for the 22.3 orifice. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The 22.3 head uses a larger id flat gasket.you can't really use a 16.5 in a 22.3 head.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new heads come with an o-ring and lens, they don't use flat gaskets unless something changed since my last purchase. Also they have only ever offered kits for the mdx and vme heads.
The older mdx gasket had an id to work with both heads.

Trust me, they are all the same for an mdx head no matter if it's 16.5 or 22.3

I only use 22.3 and have ordered the only lens kit offered. When I get back from wally wart, i will post a pic of what you get

thermal guy

Flashaholic
There's no flat gasket in new mdx heads?

They are hard to see but they are there. Had to open a 16.5 up to fit in a 22.3.

Last edited:

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought the flat gaskets were the same

Same outside Dia. But the 16.5 covers it up more and the 22.3 fits/covers it perfectly? Thinking that the only difference in actual size was the opening where the light shines out which would be the inside Dia.

MY VME head that I just received 12/26 came with the lens, flat gasket and an oring that goes on top the mod. I haven't order an mdx head in awhile

but thats what I thought

Waiting on infrnls pictures

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The gasket for the 22.3 and 16.5 have the same OD. But they have different ID's to allow for opening size. Unless something has changed.

If you put the gasket from a 16.5 in a 22.3 head you will block off a lot of light. If you do this there would be no point in using the larger head size🤔

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they are the same. Should have said something, i i could have thrown in an extra set with that md2:p
Yeah, I never thought of it unfortunately. I just like to keep spares of everything on hand(part of the reason I love Malkoff). Just to confirm, you included one set of O-rings & lens correct? All I should need is a dropin to get her up and running right? Thanks.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes since TG.

I thought the id was the 22.3 size as it would just be covered by the 16.5 head

In sense you could put the 22.3 gasket in the 16.5 and the 22. 3 since the id is the same. The 16.5s front would cover the gasket it wouldn't work vise versa

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lens & O-rings for the MDX?

I use one of my M61's in a 22.3 head. Works fine and more spill.

Bill
That is my exact plan as I just bought a new complete MD2 with the 22.3 orifice. I have several small body Malkoff's but, this is my first large body(MD2) so, I am new to this. I just wanted to order a spare Lens & O-ring kit but, only see the 16.5 kit on Gene's site.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it[emoji106].

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Unless something has changed yes the lens kit comes with a gasket. And there should be two different ID's. Again unless something has changed.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay....the moment you've been waiting for...

this is what you get with an MDX lens kit and a VME kit. the VME kit has differed throughout time. My most recent VME's Came with an o-ring and lens but the kits still come with a gasket and lens
none of my MDX head have a gaskets of any kind...well maybe a couple of my first ones; i would have to go look
I did happen to find a head with the gasket but I'm pretty sure it was before the change to o-ring/lens only. I pulled apart my UV light and what did it come with....o-ring and lens only; no gasket
7aTkYdE.jpg
Q74ydUw.jpg

Last edited:

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay....the moment you've been waiting for...

this is what you get with an MDX lens kit and a VME kit. the VME kit has differed throughout time. My most recent VME's Came with an o-ring and lens but the kits still come with a gasket and lens
none of my MDX head have a gaskets of any kind...well maybe a couple of my first ones; i would have to go look
7aTkYdE.jpg

That's what my VME came with

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Weird. It's on the site Different then. You definitely get a gasket with the MDX lens kit. It's in the picture in fact. MDC no. All my MD2,MD3,and MD4's have a gasket.

It goes head,gasket,lens, dropin. Retaining ring. No O-ring.

Last edited: