Wood and Water. Storm prep and outing for hot tenting.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
A few weeks ago did a multi day hot tent outing. Bad weather was expected. My shelter system runs on wood, water and power. As I boil (though have backup tabs) wood and water are interchangeable. Before the multi day storm hit I got my ducks in a row. Though was able to get a bit of wood during short breaks in the weather it's easier before. I will let the pictures and video do the talking.

KxSVNCs.jpg

489n2LP.jpg

Owl.

6pokcce.jpg

I am not the only critter in these woods looking for wood.

ICdSjQJ.jpg

xdzvBW7.jpg

Budget hot tent. Will post thread soon.

4tdSLAt.jpg

Wood stacked

FS8Fblq.jpg

HTbTuA8.jpg

AvJ2B3l.jpg

3Bcn5yG.jpg

8Gcb20U.jpg

gYvgz1w.jpg

No storm yet but it's starting.

7y5NS2E.jpg

Water.

vskyQ6U.jpg

A bit more wood.

XnIQodq.jpg

pellets and hard snow.

UsKTawT.jpg

AkmJtwy.jpg

6RA1e1O.jpg

Anti spark system. Somehow I got a burn hole anyways. No bog deal. Fix took 3 minutes.

pbq9g51.jpg

Bummer...

MuvzGMh.jpg

Fixed.

eA1nj9v.jpg

All ice pellets.

VhftoW2.jpg

iyxLBQa.jpg

Another day and stormy weather still on.

vMcVZje.jpg

ouBpZov.jpg

f8KojA4.jpg

s3bFkST.jpg

YDEkPb9.jpg

Inside of tipi. I packed a Gortex bivy just incase as this was the second outing with the budget tipi. The bivy was nice to keep condensation off the bag.

J5weATk.jpg

ITzOUO2.jpg

When it starts to slush I use the GoPro or Iphone 11. My primary camera is either a Sony Alpha or AX-53. Neither is weather sealed.

Kg85ezM.jpg

Late lunch

HNjbTB8.jpg

0FKV7YZ.jpg

Heavier snow.

kJfNhnM.jpg

MH eggs with cut up pepperoni.

fy2Bl9D.jpg

2754csy.jpg

irUXYKk.jpg

Next day foraged chaga.

uVttruq.jpg

Got most of it.

m3uTHB1.jpg

breaking camp.

C96OfWS.jpg

Long winded but viralish :laughing: video.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure you were toasty warm in there! I have a Golite Hex tipi and this makes me want to dig it out of my gear room. Wonder if I can sit in my low folding chair in there and use it as a warming tent next to my hammock.... hmmm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

scout24

Flashaholic
Love it! Good to see a nice long WoodsWalker video again! So much good in your videos. Another Silky Big Boy user, always good to see. I'm a bit out of touch, are the mid-height guy out ropes new on tipis? Looks like a good idea! And your chaga harvesting: I had always thought it was a birch specific thing, should I expand my searching?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Love it! Good to see a nice long WoodsWalker video again! So much good in your videos. Another Silky Big Boy user, always good to see. I'm a bit out of touch, are the mid-height guy out ropes new on tipis? Looks like a good idea! And your chaga harvesting: I had always thought it was a birch specific thing, should I expand my searching?

That's a yellow birch. Granted the trunk rot makes ID really hard. This is the 100 dollar budget tipi. I will be posting a thread on it soon. Just leaving for the AT right now for an outing. If I have internet will stop by as it's expected to rain for days....

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool!

Reminds me of the old heavy canvas WWI era surplus Army tents we had in scouts when I was a kid. I don't think we had stoves for these, but some where set up for stoves. Instead we used Coleman gas space heaters (set my down sleeping bag on fire with one!).

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice read & pics!

32K subscribers on YT - are you getting free gear in the mail already? :laughing:

Tbh camping out in the cold isn't my cup of tea. Have done so a few times though. On the plus side: no problems with ticks. In summer they come out in force (along with mosquito's), and I wouldn't even consider camping in an open-bottom tent.

Lightweight camper myself (no motorized transport for me). So a big stove like that would be out. Haven't camped in a while & could use some new gear (tent, sleeping bag, portable wood stove, ...). But will surely be trekkin' in summer the coming year I think. Once figured that over the course of my life, I spent more than a year living in a tent. :cool: A few weeks in many years adds up...

KathieL34

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I envy you. Would love to be out in the cold winter night but I live in Florida.

scout24

Flashaholic
Okay, inspired despite current circumstances. Ordered a damper and another section of stovepipe for my small Kifaru stove. Debated just getting a longer one piece pipe, but dang they're expensive. Got it out and put together today, now rain all day tomorrow. I'm going to run it just for giggles as soon as it's dry. Need to make a spark arrestor for the top of the pipe next, before I burn it in my tipi again WoodsWalker- what do you use to repair tiny spark burn holes? 😁

mega_lumens

Enlightened
WoodsWalker- what do you use to repair tiny spark burn holes? 😁
Sadly, WoodsWalker passed away this January from a heart-attack. He was one of the-kind on youtube and in outdoors community. He had wealth of knowledge and experience that he generously shared with the public. I learned a lot from watching his youtube videos on floor-less tents and tent stoves and all sorts of gear. RIP, WoodsWalker.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
So sad! Woodswalker was a nice guy. I appreciated his layed back approach to videos of some pretty outstanding stuff!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

scout24

Flashaholic
Sadly, WoodsWalker passed away this January from a heart-attack. He was one of the-kind on youtube and in outdoors community. He had wealth of knowledge and experience that he generously shared with the public. I learned a lot from watching his youtube videos on floor-less tents and tent stoves and all sorts of gear. RIP, WoodsWalker.

Mega lumens- I posted that right before Kevin passed... Definitely a huge loss for his family, friends, and the outdoor community. We miss his wise words and knowledge here on CPF, there's a lot of overlap of interest. I unknowingly first knew of him through another forum before joining here.

TILL-22

Newly Enlightened
I enjoyed seeing the pictures and video. It's sad to hear of WoodsWalker's passing, but I'm glad his videos are still enjoyed.

scout24

Flashaholic
(For the new folks) I won't link it, but if you search "Woodswalker" on youtube there's many videos... 😁