ArmyTek        
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff 219b v3 thread

Default Re: Malkoff 219b v3 thread

so keeping this 219 v3 related lol

I'm going to be leaving my mechanic position and going back into the process tech feild.

any who, I've always used a c cell Maglite

going to be looking at a md3 host

can the m61 219b v3 be run off of 2 18500s? or is it overkill for the mod? I thought it would just be longer runtime? if not I'll just setlle for the 91n
    ..nothing changes nothing...

I/m running my M61 219B V3 on 2x18500 and it's perfect output/runtime combo.

Quote Originally Posted by wicky998 View Post
    if not I'll just setlle for the 91n
    How are you wuth basic neutral after High Cri?
    Once I experienced it, there's no going back for me.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Sheís good up to 9 volts so wonít be any problem. I really like the MD3. Itís the perfect size for me and with so many of his Dropins have the ability to run off of 2XAA your all set in an emergency if thatís all you can find.My M61LLL V3 is in a MD3. Been seeing how I like it for midnight runs. Works great. For the longest runtimes your probably looking at a single 18650.After it starts to stepdown it will run for a very long time. With a couple 18500 you will get full power for longer but not a real long taper at the end and then you donít really get a warning when sheís ready to quit. Your just left in the dark. Probably not a problem for you at work but if taken into the field keep that in mind.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

it's fine really, I own alot of different tints and I'm not to particular to one tho I love the warms.

the v3 is probably the best there is imo but I enjoy trying different things out and using different tints for different things

but if I had to choose one tint for everything it'd be the v3
    Last edited by wicky998; 01-09-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Flashaholic*

Sorry, I asked Craig to post here. I didn't think, given that the dropins were from Illumn, that there would be a violation of him posting an update. Apologies all around.

In talking with them, they noted that the MDCs would not be in this batch because they are still waiting for the production of the MDC heads. So that would probably be another run "several weeks" down the line. So this run would only be dropins. I need some LLLs!
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    How are you wuth basic neutral after High Cri?
    Once I experienced it, there's no going back for me.
    P
    I know you are likely taking about the 91N(I have no experience with that dropin)but, I have to say the M61N(and other Malkoff XP-G2 powered models)are just fine at 80+CRI. Honestly, I personally think the tint is slightly better on the Gene's XP-G2's vs. the V2 210B's anyway(haven't tried a V3 yet)and you don't get the annoying ring due to the time not being taken to modify Don's reflector(this annoys me as it is apparently an easy fix). Now, I still like the Illumn V2 219B dropins overall and plan to try a V3 but, I really think they don't offer a whole lot over Gene's XP-G2 offerings for most uses. YMMV of course.

Imo CRI is only part of the equation and a smaller part compared to tint and CCT. In actual use I have found that anything over 80 CRI is good enough and aside from a few select uses the added output offered over higher CRI emitters is more beneficial. This is coming from an admitted tint & CRI snob(I have toned down as I have learned)that has multiple lights with 90-99CRI emitters. Gene's XP-G2's and Zebralight's XHP35 HI's come to mind when thinking about a perfect blend of tint, CRI, and output. I don't think it will happen due to the boost driver needed but, I would love to see some Malkoff's using the XHP35 HI(same bin as ZL) as a 4500K offering with near perfect tint and little tint shift would be awesome. It would offer some nice punch too while still offering 80+CRI.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-09-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wicky998 View Post
    it's fine really, I own alot of different tints and I'm not to particular to one tho I love the warms.

the v3 is probably the best there is imo but I enjoy trying different things out and using different tints for different things

but if I had to choose one tint for everything it'd be the v3
    Keep in mind that tint and colour temperature(CCT) are two different things.

Tint is basically the colour of the light emitted and often used to describe whether the particular sample is over or under the black body line causing it to be magenta(under) or greenish(over). This is a fast generalization.

CCT is the temperature of the light from cool to warm. Tint varies from purplish, to bluish, to white, to yellowish, to orangish, etc. with a decrease in CCT but, at any given CCT it can still shift along the other axis from magenta to greenish.

CCT preference varies based on intended use and is also subjective but, most people tend to prefer a "tint" that is slightly under the black body line or slightly magenta/pinkish vs greenish.

I haven't tried the V3 but, I will say I slightly prefer the tint of the M61N(xx) over the 219B V2 and I am not the only one. It is more of a creamy magenta vs a greyish/purplish magenta if that makes sense. It is also slightly higher above the BBL meaning less green(my samples at least). Now, it obviously doesn't render colours quite as well but, it isn't a huge difference in actual use imo.

I look forward to comparing the three once I get a V3. I assume it will have a comparable tint to the V2(maybe slightly better) but, will offer even better colour rendering due to its higher R9. Did anyone do a beamshot comparison of the V2 vs V3?

Last edited by Tachead; 01-09-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Flashaholic*

Hey Junkies, I have a survey for y'all just to see which MDCs are going to be desired/ popular when the heads get all finished up. I'm gunnin' for a 1x AA, 1x CR123, and 1x 16650. That's a lotta Malkoff, so I need to start saving up now.......

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2RP8X76

List of my lights!

Flashaholic*

On the tint-front, I honestly have a hard time falling for super-magenta emitters like the SW45k. The sw40 R9080 is a sweet spot, and I have a few sw35s that are as well, just only the slightest bit "rosy" and that's more my kinda sweet-spot. The XP-G/2 in my experience is exceptionally neutral, and is one of my all-time favorites for tints. I have a few specific XP-G2s around 3000K that are just gorgeous tints.

List of my lights!

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    ....Tint is basically the colour of the light emitted and often used to describe whether the particular sample is over or under the black body line causing it to be magenta(over) or greenish(under)....
    Isn't green above (+Duv) , and pink below (-Duv) , for the standard color-space?
    Last edited by archimedes; 01-09-2020 at 12:06 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Isn't green above (+Duv) , and pink below (-Duv) , for the standard color-space?
    Yes, sorry reversed I will edit. Thanks for noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    Yes, sorry reversed I will edit. Thanks for noticing.
    No worries, the whole color / CCT / tint / CRI issue is confusing, even after studying it here for so long.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    No worries, the whole color / CCT / tint / CRI issue is confusing, even after studying it here for so long.
    I should proof read more when I type longer posts. As I am sure you can see I tend to edit a ton after posting as I notice mistakes later due to rushing or just think of better ways to get my point across. My bad.

@dotcpf.... I just did the survey. Didn't know it was needed as Craig usually just places an order for what he wants.

I'm also not sure i did it correctly as i am only interested in 2 MDC's but answered all questions

Flashaholic*

Survey is not necessary strictly, nor is this done as something official via Illumn- Craig had asked about which MDC versions were popular and I didn't have a great answer. I figured a survey might be nice to get things rolling. I know a few people had mentioned wanting an SHO Nichia option, so I figured we might as well see if the traditional offerings were still desired and so forth- so perhaps we get the options we want, versus what they think are needed.

Survey also cannot be done "wrong" per-se. It's just to get a general pulse on what people are looking for.

Sorry for any confusion, appreciate any and all input!

List of my lights!

Okay.

I mainly put 16650 and AA

I Also opted for 18650 version of bodyguard but I'm not too sure i like the operation, but I'm sure many would like it. Id prefer to just use the 16650 overall.

If the bodyguard offered 8s burst then defaulted to 16650 specs, yes, but i don't like how it has 2 drops.
    Also, I'm not sure if TIR will work for nichia, Gene has had a hard enough time for neutral. This is why there is no neutral HOT or T, makes it orange and ugly from what Gene told me.

I think SHO might be an option for some. I recently just passed along an MDC SHO to a member. It would be like an m31in VME, which is popular, so who knows.

2xAA Is good but not something I'm really interested in but prefer the runtime behavior over 123. I like the 123 form, but not runtime results.

That's my opinion and hope it helps. I appreciate you in helping with this

Flashaholic*

Thank you INFRNL, your input is definitely highly valued as the official-unofficial Malkoff behavior expert.

I think that if we got stuck with two the 16650 and 1xAA would cover most everyone who wants a v3 219b MDC.

Great points regarding the bodyguard. These are perhaps questions for a later time, but overall does point to it being less realistic of a possibility given the amount of changes that may be required. The 219b is infamous for having some "troubles" beam-wise in optics, but then again we aren't too big on white-wall hunting here. The output/ stepdowns are a more interesting point- perhaps if there were a way to by-pass the first level/step entirely that might be suitable, as we won't be seeing much over 300 lumens anyways.

I also picked up an SHO 219b v2 dropin from you a week or so back and I actually adore the thing. Put it right in a C3 running 2x17500 for funsies, and it's a lovely setup. I can see why some people want an SHO type version from this run!

List of my lights!

I just have my opinions, I'm only good for runtime results, LOL. I actually haven't had as much real world use as many of you have. I have had some though.

I agree that I think 16650 and AA might be the most popular. Technically the 2-3.2v head (123/2aa head) in theory would be ideal as it can also run on AA; however the modes to do not act the same in this config.

that's funny; sadly I don't remember who picked up what. I'm glad you are liking the SHO. I also passed along a N MDC SHO (possibly a one off, IDK). I know many enjoy the single mode and sometimes the light has higher output than other modules. I can see where it would be nice, but I at least like to have H/L. It's a good thing that we aren't exactly alike and there are options that please most of us. if we all thought the same, the world would be a very boring place

M61LLL 219B V3 preorder shipped!

Oh wow, it does look like he has the modules back in stock. Does Craig offer us any kind of discount codes?

I'm not prepared, i don't even remember what I was interested in. better move fast is all i know; limited stock on every module

I know i want an M361 for sure. I'd really like the MDC's but only modules listed. Not sure if i want any other m31/61's...hmmm
    Last edited by INFRNL; 01-18-2020 at 12:24 AM.

Oh man! Do I need a 31LLL???
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Oh man! Do I need a 31LLL???
    M31LLL is my most used Malkoff by a wide margin.

Ya Iím thinking it would get a lot of use out of me as well.

Flashaholic*

How are you running your M31LLL?

I'm considering getting a M31LLL to run in my E1+VME on 1xCR123, but I could also go with a 2xAA setup or 1xAA setup.

--flatline

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    How are you running your M31LLL?
    Mine is in a VME head, mounted on an Aleph 1x123 body with an RPM tailcap.

Thatís whatís so nice about the M31 series. Lots of options. I have one of mine in a Malkoff 2XAA with a VME and another 31 in elzetta bravo so I can use a single cr123 or a single AA. With the hi/lo tail you get a low thatís way below 1 lumen.

just checked the site, he has a good bit in stock

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Thatís whatís so nice about the M31 series. Lots of options. I have one of mine in a Malkoff 2XAA with a VME and another 31 in elzetta bravo so I can use a single cr123 or a single AA. With the hi/lo tail you get a low thatís way below 1 lumen.
    You can use a single cell in an Elzetta Bravo? Are you using a dummy cell? Iíve been looking for a way to use a low mode on an illum M31.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Iím using a dummy cell. The low is extremely low but works great when your eyes are adjusted to the dark. Only problem is you must go to high first then switch to low. It will not go directly to low but the way that elzetta works with there tailcaps it is perfect. Just keep it on low and turn it on the slop in the threads will turn it on high for a second and then it goes right to low. This is a design function of the threads.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast