[Review] - Armytek Zippy - Keychain Flashlight, 200 LED lumen, USB - by Lock

lock

Newly Enlightened
With this review we will see the Armytek Zippy : the first Armytek keychain flashlight. 200 LED lumens in only 12g.
The light was provided by the company specifically for the review. Here you can find the site of the company and here all info about the Armytek Zippy

zippy%20(25).jpg

Packaging and content
The Armytek Zippy comes in a small cardboard box with only the multi languages user manual inside.

zippy%20(1).jpg

zippy%20(2).jpg

zippy%20(3).jpg

zippy%20(4).jpg

zippy%20(5).jpg

Main features
• Brightness up to 200 LED lumen (160 OTF lumen) and wide beam angle of 110°.
• Beam distance up to 15 m
• Max Runtime 10h
• Constant brightness
• Hotspot 60°
• Spill 110°
• Possibility to charge with Micro USB cable.
• Built-in Li-Pol 100mAh battery.
• Durable metal ring
• Removable steel clip
• Plastic body Material
• Length 59 mm
• Weight 12g
• 5 years no-hassle warranty.

Body and Materials
The Zippy is the first Armytek keychain flashlight. Small in size but extremely resistant, it can be useful on all those occasions if you need a small light point or a backup flashlight.

zippy%20(11).jpg

zippy%20(13).jpg

The body is made entirely of two-color semi-transparent plastic: it is possible to glimpse circuits and batteries inside.

zippy%20(6).jpg

zippy%20(7).jpg

The Zippy is also on sale in different colors (yellow, black, green and blue in addition to the white seen in this review) but always with the same LED configuration.

The switch is made of rubber, slightly protruding but embedded in a small space created on the body.

zippy%20(22).jpg

zippy%20(33).jpg

On the side, covered by a small rubber cap, there is the micro-USB charging port.

zippy%20(8).jpg

zippy%20(10).jpg

zippy%20(18).jpg

zippy%20(19).jpg

zippy%20(20).jpg

zippy%20(21).jpg

The integrated Li-Po battery is easily recharged with a Micro-USB cable. A full charge takes about 1 hour. A small green / red status LED inside the Zippy returns information on the charge status.

1.jpg

3.jpg

The metal ring is particularly resistant. It allows to install the Zippy on necklaces, paracord and laynard key rings.

zippy%20(14).jpg

zippy%20(15).jpg

zippy%20(16).jpg

zippy%20(17).jpg

zippy%20(23).jpg

Four small screws, if unscrewed, allow the Zippy to be completely opened for a possible replacement of the cell or the LED (for those who were fond of modding and able to do so).
The belt clip can be removed if necessary. The grip on clothing is excellent despite the small size of the clip.

zippy%20(12).jpg

The output levels are three: 160lm, 50lm, 5lm which respectively guarantee a runtime of 17min, 1h and 10h. The adjustment is excellent, the brightness remains almost constant until the cell is completely exhausted.

The beam is flood with a spot and a bright spill. The geometry of the beam is particular, it reminds me of the shape of a badminton ball.
The tint is Cool but tending to Neutral maybe 5000-5500K, really good !! The spill turns slightly on warmer tints.

2.jpg

beam8.jpg

By keeping the light in hand parallel to the ground, the walking surface can be perfectly illuminated.

zippy%20(26).jpg

zippy%20(27).jpg

zippy%20(28).jpg

zippy%20(30).jpg

zippy%20(31).jpg

zippy%20(32).jpg

zippy%20(34).jpg

Following some night beamshots ...

gif1.gif

gif2.gif

gif3.gif

beam(4).jpg

beam(5).jpg

beam(6).jpg

beam(7).jpg

Armytek Zippy is a quality and very useful product.
The selling price is also very advantageous and accessible.
I hope in the future to see the Zippy with the classic Warm color that Armytek has accustomed us to.

Thanks for reading!!!

nbp

Flashaholic
Will move this to review subforum.

Nice review, thank you. I had not seen these before. I like that little clip as well. If it is clipped on a shirt pocket or jacket lapel would it work well for an up close task light or walking light in a pinch rather than a headlamp? Does the back scattered light shine back into your eyes in this way of using it?

scout24

Flashaholic
Saw these the other day, thanks for the review and pics. I, too, find the clip appealing. I ordered one and am looking forward to trying it out.

scout24

Flashaholic
So I got my two Zippys in the mail today. I'll admit, they were an impulse purchase since my Chihuahua is named Zippy. 😀 Quick and dirty: There's no PWM visible on any level, the tint is pretty good, there are some artifacts on the perhiphery of the beam due to the emitter being where it is in the case. The pocket clip works fine on a t-shirt collar, pocket, and holds tight enough upside down to not shake free easily. It's barely wide enough to clip onto the pocket on a pair of jeans, but I'll bet the clip could be widened a bit at the base with a multitool if removed. The usb port cover doesn't seem as robust as the Tube, but it does seal. I like the screwed together construction. There is light bleed through the lighter colored bodies in particular, if that's a concern get a dark one. Think of this as a 5 or 50lm flood light with a burst mode, the runtime on high makes it usable if needed but laughable. LMH with memory will work for some but not others, I like it. For $12.00, give it a shot without much to lose if it's not for you...

nbp

Flashaholic
Awesome thanks G! If you clip it on a shirt pocket or something does most of the light go forward or does it blind you off that top edge? I know you said a little bleed which is fine just so long as the glare isn't such that I can't see what I would be working on. I have had a couple of Tubes and really liked them but only have one left. I'd be curious to grab one or two of these.

scout24

Flashaholic
NBP- Shirt pocket or better yet waist level, the spill back is neglegible imho. Hand carry? Nope. Just walked my pups well after dark and the glare is distracting if you try to hand carry it. I'm going to grab a paint pen tomorrow and see what I can do.

nbp

Flashaholic
Excellent, that sounds like a great little task light for puttering on something when you don't want a bigger task light or headlamp on.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks for the review! But just to clarify, (not to be a stinker), NO! It does NOT come with a 5 year, no-hassle warranty!

On a positive note, I also think the pocket clip/horizontal beam looks interesting... as in clipping it to your shirt pocket to light what's in front of you. I think for my keys I'd PREFER the other angle of say the nitecore tube/Klarus etc BUT these lights are small enough I wouldn't mind having some of both angles.

And also - thanks for the review!!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Hi! Are you sure about that? Even Armytek states it on their website, that's why I'm a little confused. I think I'll order one anyway, so thanks OP for the review!

Sorry I should have clarified... Armystuff breaks often and when you email them or try to get them to fix it they don't typically answer; this forum is helpful to post about your bad experience just for the sake of getting them to answer; then you get to start the l-o-n-g process of sending stuff back and forth to China... oops Canada! :) pay more in shipping that your light cost and perhaps when your light super outdated you'll get a new part that will actually be someone else's same broken part on this website.

I realize some people with lots of free time consider that "no-hassle" - It's certainly no hassle by Armyteks standards!