Finally got a Pel M6 LED...

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and I FULLY agree with the hype surrounding this light! I've been a CPFer for quite a while, and a flashoholic for as long as I can remember. In that time a LOT of flashlights have passed through my hands! I hafta say that as far as commercially produced lights go, I think the Pelican M6 LED is one of the best bang for the buck lights I've ever owned (esp. for $45.00 @ Battery Station!).

The beam is VERY white, and has some damn good throw...and beam quality, IMHO, is darn near SF quality. Sure, it's a little bigger than most 2X123 cell lights and may not be pocketable, but I don't think it was MEANT to be pocketable. Spill light is very usable without being over-powering. The tail switch has a good feel...seems to give just the right amount of resistance (...pay attention, SF!). This light has been reviewed a lot already, so I'm not gonna get "long-winded"...If you don't already have one of these, take the plunge and plunk down the $45.00. You won't regret it!

One question: In the reviews forum on the run-time plot thread, I see a plot for just about every variation of the M6 EXCEPT for the stock, store bought version M6 LED! Can anybody point me to a run-time plot for it!? Thanx!

PJD

redtrd

Newly Enlightened
I agree. I am also very impressed by the PM6 LED, especially with the throw and beam quality. I still like the look of the SF lights better, but can't go wrong for $45.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes i agree. i just got one for myself and the excellent tint of the LED is enough to justify the price. the clickie is great as well, though i'd prefer the rubber tailcap to be black, not red /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the Pelican M6 LED is a great light.

Two things I think could improve it more. I wish Pelican came out with a higher end version that included:

1. A tougher finish (type III anodizing). IIRC, the current finish is just powder coating--no anodizing at all.

2. Regulation. Get lets say 2-3 hours of peak brightness out of this light with a constant type regulator.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
.357: if i'm not wrong the finish is supposed to be type II anodizing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif a type III anodized version is in the works...look in the dealer's corner for more information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i'd like a regulator too, just that it might drive up the cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Semarin

Newly Enlightened
Excellent. I was thinking of purchasing a Luxeon light, either the $20 UK4AA or the $45 M6 LED. After reading some reviews and posts, I think the the higher priced M6 LED is the way to go now. For the quality and brightness, it seems like a very solid purchase, even at twice the price.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does it compare to some of mcgizmos creations based on the Pelican M6?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
bushman: in terms of the tint of the luxeon, its probably on par, but it probably out-throws the mcmodules due to the smaller LED die. what it lacks is regulation, but at the price it goes for i'd say its a good deal nonetheless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
.357: if i'm not wrong the finish is supposed to be type II anodizing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif a type III anodized version is in the works...look in the dealer's corner for more information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i'd like a regulator too, just that it might drive up the cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I hope you are right on the anodizing. IIRC, one of the reviewers that post here thought that the finish was powder coated. Cool on the type III anodizing in the works.

Type III anodizing and constant regulator will push cost up to around $100, but to me its worth it. I don't like the idea of lights becoming dimmer once they are used. I'd prefer constant regulation at the expense of run time. If Pelican ever does make a regulated version, I hope they also have a non-regulated version so that those who prefer the lower price tag (non-regulated) have that option too.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
.357, i prefer regulation too...but at least with LED lights the dimming is less of an issue than with incandescent lights, which turn an ugly orange and causes the bulb to die early. if pelican keeps the quality of the LED in the PM6 as good as it is now and they throw in hard anodizing and regulation, i'll be at the front of the line! (after you of course) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry all that much about dimming, this is a Li driven lamp, the battery just doesn't 'sag' in voltage all that much throughout it's useful life.

I'm not sure a regulator has all that much to offer for that reason.

Doug Owen

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
doug: lithium batteries have a flatter discharge curve than other types of battery chemistries, but it still drops in output gradually. case in point: compare a surefire G2 and a surefire A2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just plunked down $45 for one, just couldn't wait for the HA III or black rubber boot. Friend also got in on a PM6 Lithium on the order, at $32, its also a deal.

Thanks Kevin at BS!

Jason