Malkoff        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a custom light like this that I can get now?

Default Re: Is there a custom light like this that I can get now?

Issues? Hell, I have Subscriptions! Lol.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by nitebrite View Post
    Oh, it is Zirconium. Yes, USA. Proves my point. If that was Chinese maybe $300? Nothing wrong with custom made in China. You can keep mas produced in China though. I prefer Mokume, Damascus. I really like the ReyLight I got. Please don't start getting me depressed.
    Hey nitebrite, I just checked out that Mokume Dawn...I agree that itís a gem at a bargain price! Rey is a great guy and most of all honest. I once got a Ti Lan that had a switch problem and when I emailed Rey he got back to me very quickly and a new, redesigned switch was on the way! This kind of service impressed me so I didnít bat an eye when the Copper Lan was offered. The bulk of my collection are from HDS and Malkoff but that Copper Lan goes in my pocket quite often. Itís a great light, regardless of where/who makes it.

Iím 100% on board with the ďif you can afford it and it makes you happy, buy itĒ philosophy!

I will take poetic license with a quote from W.C. Fields..."I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling (and flashlights). The other half I wasted."

Enjoy that Mokume!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

You picked a great light! Rey is fantastic to deal with. I hope you love it and if not it would resell fairly quickly!
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

In my experience any of the Olight S1 stature lights will get others attention based on the output for the size alone!

The fact that a light is like jewelry has never made anyone's list that I have met?

No, I just like the jewels myself. The output/size tends to impress some people. Since a 5 cell Maglite is nowhere near that. I am happy with what I got. Since like I said, if that was made in USA it would be 2 grand. It is custom made. So that is all that matters. Mass produced $30 Chinese lights maybe not always so good. $500 in China is a ton of money. I mean it has a Sapphire lens! This I am pretty sure is a serious light. I will let y'all know. Plus this is not a very large light at all. Bigger than I wanted but that was impossible.

If you are interested in small lights with huge outputs you really should check out the toolVN on skylumen. I have one and it puts a smile on my face still to this day when I crank it up. Vinh modifies them in house.

I have three of Reys lights, all amazing and love each one. Ti Dawn, Ti Lan and a Copper Pineapple Mini. You're gonna love that custom Dawn!!
    "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."- Tennessee Williams

Flashaholic

I`m surprised no one mentioned the Emisar D4V2
    I was looking at Rey lights but I`m trying to stick to just 18650 batts.
    Now if he would only up size his Ti lan to take a 18650
    (Wink, Wink, nudge, nudge)

He does make a 18650 Dawn. 3000LM!

I will not divulge this. It is probably top notch quality and indeed a custom light. Is it as nice as the "finest" customs that cost $3,000+USD? Probably not. However it was nowhere near that price so I am not complaining. It is in fact made much the same as most of the custom lights. All but the very most expensive ones perhaps. However I am not at will to say why. Of course, does it matter? It is not over 3 grand I think it is a great value as it stands. If it were made in USA it would be a lot more I am sure. Plus here on CPF he had no problem selling all of his $700 ones and I honestly prefer this one personally. A flashlight does not really care what country it is made in as long as the quality is there. Heck, I will even buy Pakistani knives! Just like the light, some are top notch.

I have Each of the high end muyshondt, McGizmo ETC. So I did not just want to get another one. I kind of wish you guy's had the suggestions before I ordered LOL. Seriously, Rey is a great guy and I am sure I will be very happy. It is a very pretty light. Plus for it's size 2,000LM is no slouch. I was wondering what king of runtime I could expect on 1500mah?

Flashaholic

`He does make a 18650 Dawn. 3000LM!`
    Yeah, I saw that. Not liking the `Dawn`

Oh, it was my favorite. Personal preference. Rey cannot be so bad. Some said he is great, others said not impressed. However you guys scooped up all of his $700 lights here. A $700 flashlight, it does not matter that it is Chinese then. $700 light takes precedence at that point IMO. I will report but I am sure I am happy. As I said, I have "most" expensive custom lights. I saw no reason to get yet another duplicate. I figured I would try Rey. He is a nice Man. I am not trying to justify it. Look, I had up to 2 grand to burn. I only "burnt" $500 so I hardly even care. Nonetheless I am betting it is top notch. Many people say even his $80 LAN is top notch. I highly doubt it is garbage or you guys would not be buying them for $700. Usually people buying those are not "uninformed". So what if it is Chinese, it is hand made. I am tired of people devaluing China. True, the shelves of Walmart but not this. Well. yeah I guess I am defending him but he needs no defense.

I am trying to figure out the runtime but I suppose I will know next week.

Flashaholic*

I suggested getting the RovyVon lights, but after seeing what you chose I definitely think you made a great choice!!!
    You don't need to explain or defend your choice of what you purchased. Each of us have our own way of enjoying life, so keep doing what makes you happy.
    Oh, it was my favorite. Personal preference. Rey cannot be so bad. Some said he is great, others said not impressed. However you guys scooped up all of his $700 lights here. A $700 flashlight, it does not matter that it is Chinese then. $700 light takes precedence at that point IMO. I will report but I am sure I am happy. As I said, I have "most" expensive custom lights. I saw no reason to get yet another duplicate. I figured I would try Rey. He is a nice Man. I am not trying to justify it. Look, I had up to 2 grand to burn. I only "burnt" $500 so I hardly even care. Nonetheless I am betting it is top notch. Many people say even his $80 LAN is top notch. I highly doubt it is garbage or you guys would not be buying them for $700. Usually people buying those are not "uninformed". So what if it is Chinese, it is hand made. I am tired of people devaluing China. True, the shelves of Walmart but not this. Well. yeah I guess I am defending him but he needs no defense.

I am trying to figure out the runtime but I suppose I will know next week.

Thank you. I appreciate that. Like I said low self worth. I always explain myself like I did wrong. It is just me.
    Nichia if you read this your PM is turned off!

The thing with the Royvon is yes, it is nicer but it is a LI-Poly. Good luck ever finding that. the battery might last 40-60 cycles.

The day of "everything" from China is junk is over. I see $3,000 lights from China which is about $6,5000USD! It is like the new "Japan" really. no, I do not need to justify it. It speaks for itself.

Since even in the end of 2019 PhotonFanatic is mentioned as a source for a "real" custom light, afaik he retired a few years ago from modding/making flashlights. He is still active at the USN and explained the reason but I donīt remember it unfortunatelly.

Another great maker of one offs would be Tim Miklos (Dafabricata) or "tm_designandfabrication". He still does make flashlights but afaik does not take orders. Youīd have to follow him on social media to be able to snatch one of his lights.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric242; 01-03-2020 at 05:38 AM.
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested

I guess depending on how you look at it, none of my lights are 'truly' custom. To me they are. Many are one off. Some are almost 6 grand. I am happy with what I have. I read my post from 2018. I cannot believe I did that. The odd thing is I cannot find that light. I looked everywhere I can think. I may have sold it with a car! I like this one. Please do not spoil my party. I did not catch Nichia. He hates Rey. That is biased. He should have said so. Rey is selling lights for nearly a grand left and right. So how bad can he be? A grand is a lot of money in China. I would imagine he is rich. I am just a Rancher but I save my money. I also noticed 'most' lights are not Mokume or Damascus. It is rarer. So if I need to sell some...

Nichia! Got banned from the forum. Donít worry about what Nichia says. He trashed every single custom maker you could think of on these forums for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    Nichia! Got banned from the forum. Donít worry about what Nichia says. He trashed every single custom maker you could think of on these forums for no reason.
    As per Greta he didn't get banned, just posting privileges were removed. He can still read as much as he wants.
    "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."- Tennessee Williams

Guys, that thread was kind of a "one-off" ... and just a friendly reminder that as a rule, bannings do not concern the rest of the board.

Discussion of that (other than in very specific circumstances, when specifically allowed by Admin) is considered one of the most potentially disruptive topics.

Thanks.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Well I was PM'ing him and did not accept PM In thought was odd.

Light is ready to come to me but idiots at DHL have wrong address! I will call as soon as they open. I am sure I will be very pleased with it. I will put it in my pocket with a William Henry knife. Now they want a signature but there is no way he will make it up here without 4x4! So this should be interesting.

Got it Wednesday after DHL got my address wrong. Then I did not feel good.
    This is second to none! I own many custom lights. This takes the cake. The machining I could ask for no better. The beam, spread, tint etc. is darn near perfect. No overlap. No hotspot at all! I would say it is equal to a 100 watt light bulb. I know that is stupid. I am pointing out it is in fact more than the stated 2,000 lumens. Maybe 2,400. It is a lovely little light. See people in china take pride still. he included an otterbox as well as a nice wooden box with the serial number. Extra O-rings.

Question. It is copper based. How do I stop the patina? I am afraid the mokume swirls will disappear? Or will the patina make them stand out more?
    Right now it looks very nice but it came in a vacuum bag. I do not want it to end up looking like any old flashlight! thanks

I do not feel like pics right now. have the flu or something.

You canít really stop patina but it is easy to clean up! Brasso works well. Salt vinegar and baking soda cleans it. There are several commercially available copper cleaners. I personally love the patina look but understand people not liking it as well. If you want something easy to just wipe it down with occasionally blitz copper shine wipes will do the trick and are handy to use. Glad you enjoy your light!

Thank you. I like the patina too, I was afraid the swirls would disappear. In fact, Rey said they will stand out more. So that is great news. I like things that are well worn but I am not a poser. I do not buy $200 pre torn jeans. I tear my Wranglers in a day anyways.
    I want the clip off. If I do not have the right Torx(which is doubtful) I will just ask Rey the number. Yes will put it in my pocket but not with change, keys. For my tiny knife not sure if I want to carry a William henry with it or a Peter Walker(deceased) custom. Of course I am well armed on the ranch but not in my pocket LOL. The Dominator UDX is still brighter. I have lights 20x as bright as that but they run 5 minutes. I let the Dawn run an hour, still at full brightness, not too warm and decided to shut it off. Pretty good. Far cry to that old Sure fire luxeon III! LED's have come along way.

The Dawn is very nice indeed. I wanted to find out just how nice.... I decided to compare it to one of my Jeff Hanko Timascus lights with skulls. Oops. Sorry, you lose there Rey. The Dawn is brighter since the Hanko is 3x219C but that is where the story ends. The Hanko is nicer in every way. Well at least I do not throw Hanko's in my pocket I guess. The Reylight is certainly above the "production" mark but it is not the best that can be had. Duh. At least I am not afraid to EDC it. I actually decided to go with a custom Mick Strider knife. That is a good "beater" too. I suppose I sound like a jerk calling $500 items "beaters" but I save all my money. I never leave here. I should be entitled to do what I wish as long as it is moral and legal,no?

Looking foreword to see if some pics nitebrite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took off the clip and left the screws out. now the clicky is all loose. I wonder if those screws held in the clicky or something? I guess only way to find out it to put them back?

Can this site host pics? I am not messing with file hosts. TBH it really just looks like a whole lotta copper! That is part of why I said it is no Hanko. At least I will not fret to throw it in my pocket. this sucker is bright though! Just in case you don't believe I haver it ask Rey.

Just in case you don't believe I haver it ask Rey.
    What makes you think anyone would be under the assumption you donít own this light? We just like pictures.

As far as posting a picture are you on web version or app? There are several threads on here explaining how to post but unfortunately it really is tons easier to use photo hosting sites. (I donít like them either)

I am on a PC, Edge. I hate Photo hosting sites. If it comes to that I am just sorry. Can't this site host files? I am sure though with the flash it is going to come out just copper. There is hardly any swirl. I like it because I will use it daily. I would never use my other collector lights. I do not mean to be a jerk but this is nothing fancy. In fact I should have saved $$ and got a copper one. As far as the actual beam, it is pretty good but I do not even have a clue how to photograph that. I do think those screws have to go back in. Highest level gets very hot. 2nd from highest nearly as bright just a little warm. I think there are 6 levels stock. I do not understand how to program it yet.

.... Can't this site host files? ....
    Yes, you need a Supporter Badge to do so ... available for purchase, here

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/IconLegend1.html
    ... is the archimedes peak

I do not understand how to program it yet.
    According to his shop the light uses the Bistro UI, which I donīt consider programmable.
    But here is a video Rey sent me to show how the Bistro UI works:

Eric
    Last edited by Eric242; 01-14-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested

You might find that as copper and brass form a patina, the swirls or grains may stand out more.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast