Tritium, Lume, and the Mechtorch

CigarPundit

Newly Enlightened
I've been buying and installing tritium lately, because glowy stuff cool. Took some pics.

DCE2DAD3-201D-4222-83C1-B9C6D54E8207.jpeg

I just received a special edition Mechforce Mechtorch, mainly for the 16 tritium slots, and because I like the price point and performance of it for use as a nice EDC beater.

Note that Mechforce has improved the Mechtorch, which now tailstands very nicely.

C7D81E5A-1403-4924-AA48-8FAA299B436B.jpeg

Having also picked up a Barrel M2JN, which I consider a higher end light, I'm both surprised and somewhat disappointed to learn that the entry level, much less expensive, Mechtorch out performs the Barrel. At their highest settings, the Mechtorch is putting out substantially more light, and will do so for a lot longer than the Barrel. One thing I have noted about the Barrel is that it will only hold the highest turbo mode for a moment (one second or less), which is virtually useless. There's really not much point in having a turbo setting that the light can only maintain for less than a second. I've tried multiple batteries, including the one that came with the light, and I get the same result. So while the Barrel is a true thing of beauty, puts out plenty of light to be a useful EDC, has superior CRI (I don't really care), and is a light I feel fortunate to own, I'm surprised by the inferior performance when compared to the slightly smaller Mechtorch. I may reach out to Barrel to make sure nothing is wrong with this unit. The turbo performance suggests that something is wrong.

Turning back to the Mechtorch, it may be a bit on the cheesy side, but glowy stuff cool, and it's an impressive little titanium performer at a great price point. I really like the blurple trit ring, but I have black and stonewashed titanium pocket clips on the way, because I think the purple clip takes it too far. Also, the glow gasket on this thing is just crazy! Super bright and it glows for a really long time. The Barrel doesn't even compare!

CEB0A76E-75E4-4E88-9648-4862417436E1.jpeg

36481F70-C018-40C2-9E9C-81546E592D7E.jpeg

Last edited:

LoPan12

Newly Enlightened
Nice! I just got a regular, and kinda like the blurple ring... Wonder if I can get my buddy to ano it to that color...
For anyone else that might be interested, mechforce has the lower profile switch boot on their site.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

jrgold

Enlightened
Nice! I just got a regular, and kinda like the blurple ring... Wonder if I can get my buddy to ano it to that color...
For anyone else that might be interested, mechforce has the lower profile switch boot on their site.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Congrats bro, I want one of these